Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

When he signed he played very well, and looked like a fit.

Since then he’s shied away, backs out of challenged and has no interest whatsoever.

Sounds very much the same as he was towards the end of his spell with us. Blew hot and cold and very temperamental, he doesn't take criticism well xD.

I thought he would have improved and matured down in England, guess not.

2 minutes ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Of course the Yogster is at DAFC, but Yogi time also means whoever you can get. 

Callum Davidson got handed a long term deal just months ago, I'm not sure the club will punt him. 

He'll get February at least I'd imagine, to see if a January overhaul improves things.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Callum Davidson got handed a long term deal just months ago, I'm not sure the club will punt him. 

He'll get February at least I'd imagine, to see if a January overhaul improves things.

As did Jack Ross. Actually Jack could do a Yogi if the great man can't be prized away from Fife.

As well beaten as we were, that was possibly as well as we've played in a couple of months! For spells we looked like a team again and attempted to get the crowd into it by pushing forward.
But I look at our team, and look at the options outwith the starting team and genuinely wonder which players would fans of other clubs in the league want in their side? Possibly Clark and maybe Rooney when he's on form.

The truth is we are simply a collection of average (and slightly below in some cases) players. You can get away with being average if you have real quality in an area of the team. I would say Motherwell for example; fairly average but 2 genuine quality strikers for this level.

We need a few attack minded players who are at a level above. But who fits that bill that would be prepared to join us to fight relegation? Even if we have funds available, it'll be tough to bring in quality.

It's easy to slaughter the players after tonight, but in truth County simply had far better players in attacking positions, and were far more dangerous. They deserved to win. We don't have good enough forward players is the sad and obvious fact.

Look at players we've got starting and who isn't completely average? James Brown, for example. A steady capable defender who is generally reliable. But at wing back? One of the key position in the formation which should be fairly attacking and everytime an opponent steps out to close him down, Brown turns back and plays the safe ball.

If we don't have attack minded wing backs available then go to a back 4, but I guess the intention was more of a back 5 to stop County's threat out wide.

Don't think Wotherspoon would want to play in the championship, has he played his last game for Saints?

As well beaten as we were, that was possibly as well as we've played in a couple of months! For spells we looked like a team again and attempted to get the crowd into it by pushing forward.
But I look at our team, and look at the options outwith the starting team and genuinely wonder which players would fans of other clubs in the league want in their side? Possibly Clark and maybe Rooney when he's on form.

The truth is we are simply a collection of average (and slightly below in some cases) players. You can get away with being average if you have real quality in an area of the team. I would say Motherwell for example; fairly average but 2 genuine quality strikers for this level.

We need a few attack minded players who are at a level above. But who fits that bill that would be prepared to join us to fight relegation? Even if we have funds available, it'll be tough to bring in quality.

It's easy to slaughter the players after tonight, but in truth County simply had far better players in attacking positions, and were far more dangerous. They deserved to win. We don't have good enough forward players is the sad and obvious fact.

Look at players we've got starting and who isn't completely average? James Brown, for example. A steady capable defender who is generally reliable. But at wing back? One of the key position in the formation which should be fairly attacking and everytime an opponent steps out to close him down, Brown turns back and plays the safe ball.

If we don't have attack minded wing backs available then go to a back 4, but I guess the intention was more of a back 5 to stop County's threat out wide.

Don't think Wotherspoon would want to play in the championship, has he played his last game for Saints?

At 32 years old and with him looking like he might not be back in time for the season starting he might struggle to find another club.

I think if we go down we can say goodbye to just about everyone one of those players, and we’ll struggle to make the playoffs.

This winter break couldn’t have come at a better time. After Boxing Day weve got 3 weeks to get our targets in, up to speed and perhaps try something different. 3-5-2 did work last season, so I can understand a rookie managers reluctance to move away from it, but it’s clear everyone has a game plan versus us, and that’s it’s not having the same impact.

We need a massive 3 points, and we need them soon.

47 minutes ago, mizfit said:

it’s clear everyone has a game plan versus us.

Aye.

System works when you've got Kerr, Rooney, McCann, Wotherspoon and maybe even a Melamed.

Kerr/McCann can defend and attack, both good on the ball, both can go for 90 mins. Having Rooney isolated in attack fine as he can beat men occasionally and can win aerials. Wotherspoon can attack and defend in all forms. Melamed was just a pure poacher who could score from nothing.

We don't have anywhere close to direct replacements for them, but the manager refuses to acknowledge that and adapt. How can he look at the squad he had last night and think 5-3-2 was right for that? 

2 wing backs who can't attack on their own, 3 CMs who can't get about the park for 90 mins, no forward who can hold the ball against CBs. 

Stick men wide on either side, suck Booth into pressing your full back, and our defence is wide open. It shouldn't be that simple.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I agree Random. How can Callum look at those players every day, then weekly in proper games and think 5 at the back is what we need? It's a decent system to have at your disposal for some games, when you have the right players obviously. This squad can't play it well, four at the back with an extra midfielder to get control in the middle or an extra attacker is what we need. Putting Middleton or MOH as a wingback doesn't make us more attacking it just stifles their attributes. 

Long balls from the defence to absolutely no one is the hobbits gameplan and if it isn't why has he not done his fucking job and sorted it?

Goalkeepers

Zander Clark - 2022

Elliot Parish - 2022

Ross Sinclair - 2024

Jack Wills - 2022 - on loan at Brechin City

Craig Hepburn - 2023

Defenders 

Shaun Rooney - 2022

James Brown - 2023

Max Kucheriavyi - 2024 - on loan at Brechin City

Hayden Muller - 2022 - on loan from Millwall

Lars Dendoncker - 2022 - on loan from Brighton

Efe Ambrose - 2022 

Liam Gordon - 2025

Jamie McCart - 2022

Sam Denham - 2022

Liam Parker - 2022

Callum Booth - 2024

Reece Devine - 2022 - on loan from Manchester United

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Murray Davidson - 2022

Craig Bryson - 2022

Charlie Gilmour -2023

Cammy McPherson - 2022 - on loan from St Mirren

Ali Crawford - 2022 - on loan from Bolton Wanderers

Liam Craig - 2022

Jacob Butterfield - 2022

Cammy Ballantyne - 2022 - on loan at Montrose

Alex Ferguson - 2023  - on loan at Edinburgh City

Bailey Pert - 2023

Spencer Moreland - 2022

Jordan Northcott - 2022

Michael O’Halloran- 2023

Glenn Middleton - 2022 - on loan from Rangers 

Viv Solomon-Otabor - January 2022

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Callum Hendry - 2022 - on loan at Kilmarnock

Taylor Steven - 2022

Eetu Vertainen - 2023

Let the culling begin. 

I think I'd be punting at least 5 of the loanees, with Middleton the only exception. He hasn't been great but we saw last season that he does have a spark about him, just hasn't shown it in this spell. Devine has looked ok when he's had game time too, but he's not really had much football and we really need to give someone who can at least push Booth for that role. We know Viv will be away after the Celtic game and you have to suspect that Vertainen might be allowed to leave given the manager's ridiculous attack on him after the game at Ibrox a couple of weeks ago. Then there's Efe, who by my count will be the 6th choice right centre back when Cleary officially joins up with the squad (and if the two loanees who play there are still here). 

Talk of Crawford's permanent deal has gone quiet of late, hopefully that means that's not happening as he's the last player we need in a scrap. Utterly rotten, and MacPherson has shown nothing in his 7 appearances either, so I don't know much value there is in persisting with him either.

McCart, Rooney and Clark may well go too given their contract situation and it'll be our last chance to get anything for them. The former two have been shadows of themselves this season and Clark has been the opposite, he deserves a move so he can play for a competent manager.

Davidson has said 4 or 5 players in January but there needs to be a bigger overhaul than that IMO. 

Honestly, what a fucking mess Davidson has made of this squad, such a young and vibrant one when he joined barely 18 months ago just looks completely bereft of everything. A mix of signing shite, 'do a job' signings and loans with no skin in the game have just completely killed us. He can try and build a narrative in the press that he's not been backed or that he's been let down by those at the club for not getting things done quickly enough, but look at what he has brought in. I suspect that he would've been allowed to bring in replacements for McCann and Kerr prior to them going - he certainly brought in others - but gambled they would still be here after the window so just didn't bother. 

They have to put it right in January, no excuses. Steve Brown has said the McCann money will be reinvested in the team and he now must make good on that promise and Davidson has to look beyond what his mate Gary thinks.

12 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Hate to say it (to be honest I fucking love saying it) but I told you so. CD is as thick as mince. It’s down the shitter for the Sainties emoji16.pngemoji16.pngemoji16.png

You've been saying we'll be relegated for as long as I can remember, still in the balance.

As for Davidson being thick as mince? Double winning Davidson to you pal.

1991936518_download(3).jpeg.d1b19302021718724aced6d4fba7b00e.jpeg