Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

17 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

As I'm sure you're aware, he's the very definition of 'luxury player'.

Capable of popping up with the odd screamer and looks neat, tidy and somewhat effective in a dominant attacking side.

Otherwise, a massive shite bag who hides when the going gets tough. His attempts at headering a football are also comical.

It's telling that I remember him mostly for giving the us the fingers away at Dundee when the team was getting booed off at halftime and for his family getting involved with fans at games who dared criticise him. 

Yeah he's shit. Signed to create chances for us but generally just stands behind defenders. That's fair enough considering half the time when he does try something on the ball it fails miserably.

A total passenger in a team of them. 

Anyone any clue why Middleton walked straight back into the side ahead of Vertainen btw?

9 minutes ago, akuram said:

Please no.

It's feel inevitable doesn't it?

Like he's playing him every week and already talked about wanting to keep him, I'd be amazed if he doesn't get a 2 year deal considering average dross like Brown managed to get one. Presumably the two of them nod their heads a lot when the manager is talking tactics as I struggle to see what they offer otherwise. Brown offers us nothing on the ball but is decent defensively, which I guess sums up where we are.

Davidson has to go, the only thing he has going for him right now is that he got lucky with set pieces in the cups last year, there is nothing about this team just now that gives me any hope.

He's refusing to move away from three at the back, he can't sign players to fit his system, he's demonstrated zero ability to identify players to build around so we're stuck with loans and extended deals for players who are Championship level at best (Booth, Kane, May, O Halloran, Craig)

We've scored one goal from open in play in 9 games I think now. Yes today featured some crosses in the box, but we were consistently left with 3/4 players in a line with the penalty spot (Literally the first thing I was taught as a kid, one goes near post, one hangs back and the other attacks the far post, but nah, we just stand and watch)

I would find the Crawford situation fascinating if it wasn't killing my soul every single week. He's such a Davidson player, he just sticks to his position on the pitch and presses the nearest man, doesn't moan and he's reliable(y shit). Davidson is quickly turning into why Mourinho is now irrelevant, he'll always favour players who are predictable and who can control defensively rather than anyone who can open a team up.

The reaction after the goal showed a beaten team, just moaning, throwing hands up and poor us. It took us 2 full minutes to even get the ball out of the net, it was a heads gone moment, we created nothing afterwards. The attacking subs only come once the game is gone, he's an absolute chicken of a manager and it looks like certain players are beyond frustrated and that's also killing us. Craig was awful today and should've been sent off for a second yellow when he shoved that Aberdeen player over in front of the ref.

We only play for set pieces but also don't have anyone who can take them. Crawfords corner were either not beating the first man or just spooned up for Lewis to take. 

his treatment of Middleton is a disgrace, he's a player who causes danger with the ball at his feet and driving at players - he should've had Crawford's role today and should've been moved there when Eetu came on, but no he's the first hooked. Won't be surprised if Rangers take him back in January, we're just humping long balls at him and his development is being hampered.

His comments after the game sum him up - complaining that we need the ref to make some mistakes in our favour to help us win games? How about we just try to play football and win them ourselves rather than relying on refs? Zero responsibility for setting us up in the this style, refusing to make subs or win our way out of this.

Now we get to waste the McCann and Kerr money on journeymen from down south who won't give a f*ck about us, they just want to keep themselves fit to get another contract in England next season.

An absolute masterclass in how to suck every single element of joy out of a football club in less than 6 months

If we made the subs 10 minutes earlier,we’d a good chance of winning,we were the better team,but left it too reactionary as usual,when  it’s too late ,Aberdeen mate said we were robbed,as a blatant hand ball,so it never rains but it pours 
were you really the better team,just watched some on alba where we were all over you,you looked awful

16 minutes ago, akuram said:

How did Middleton not get hooked long before half time, what did he actually do. Send him back and at least he is not available for Wednesday.

Or we should play him in his actual position?

No idea how anyone can feel positive about that, we're clearly playing a system half the side aren't going to thrive in. It's a major fucking red flag to me that the manager can't figure out a new way of playing after losing Kerr, McCann, and Wotherspoon, tbh. Whole thing relied on the qualities they held.

1 minute ago, Baldie1980 said:

were you really the better team,just watched some on alba where we were all over you,you looked awful

You'll have to remember how little attacking play we have. Putting two crosses in consecutively will get us out our seats in excitement.

4 minutes ago, Baldie1980 said:
7 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:
If we made the subs 10 minutes earlier,we’d a good chance of winning,we were the better team,but left it too reactionary as usual,when  it’s too late ,Aberdeen mate said we were robbed,as a blatant hand ball,so it never rains but it pours 

Your manager said it on radio,so aye,we were

5 minutes ago, Baldie1980 said:

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngyou guys will be ok,things can turn round pretty quickly in this league and your by no means the worst team

Oh, we are.

We can defend better than other sides but we've been the worst attacking side in the division since Davidson took charge.

Genuinely think that we played well in the second half today. 

Positives -

Defensively  we looked very good - that back 3 is our best defensively and also allows Rooney the chance to get forward or drift

Liam Craig and Bryson work well together especially second half where Liam was pressing the game and we actually were making them have to go long for a bit.

Eetu - for the stick I gave him appears to be learning how to play as part of a team, he also had some leap on him 

Negatives

Middleton & Crawford - neither are giving us enough with the ball to justify both playing. Middleton jogs along instead of pressing & never shows any sort of urgency. Crawford is far too light weight and is more of a luxury player than someone you can rely on.

Lack of bodies getting forward - when we play with 1 up the way that Kane plays we need bodies to get up and support and we just don’t do it enough (hopefully butterfield gives us extra legs in the middle to help) 

Referees - that is now 8 points off the top of my head where refs have cost us - it appears they are doing what they can to hurt us - today a penalty not given and a handball not called (haven’t seen it yet cause of where I sit)

Edit - have now seen the handball - ref couldn’t see it but surely the lino can see that!

Edited by NYD1997

Moaning about the ref/decisions against is just clutching at straws.

We are 100% in a situation of our own making. 

Unless there's a miracle in January we're going down and because of last season CD will get the opportunity to bring us up again. 

With the added ignominy of smashing records for least goals scored in a season.

Edited by The Saintee

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Or we should play him in his actual position?

No idea how anyone can feel positive about that, we're clearly playing a system half the side aren't going to thrive in. It's a major fucking red flag to me that the manager can't figure out a new way of playing after losing Kerr, McCann, and Wotherspoon, tbh. Whole thing relied on the qualities they held.

That Crawford role today was perfect for Middleton, but instead he was left to play as a number 9 with no service and just constant long balls to either fight for or chase down, it's just not his game at all.

I really like Middleton as a player, but if we're not going to use him in his position then let him go, our biggest problem just now is trying to have players play roles which they simply aren't suited to.

Kane is the perfect example, I watched him a lot of the first half and he was subdued, but I do wonder if that's part of the coaching plan - to try and keep him more central, to not charge around and to try and get on the ball?

The problem is that there are League 2 strikers who have more technical ability than him, so if he has to play then you just have to let him run around and use his physicality, and he did do that to begin the second half and at least he looked comfortable in the role and he seemed more confident, could also have had a goal with that header - couldn't tell if it was saved or hit the post from my seat.

Currently too many players are being asked to be something they're not and it's killing us

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

Moaning about the ref/decisions against is just clutching at straws.

We are 100% in a situation of our own making. 

Unless there's a miracle in January we're going down and because of last season CD will get the opportunity to bring us up again.

That I wouldn’t agree with -

Today (1 point potentially 3) handball and penalty

Hibs (twice) (1 & 3)- penalty at Easter road & a sending off which was no where close to a sending off at home 

That is just straight off the top of my head - 5 points sees us in 8th with 2 games in hand, 7 we would be 7th