Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Had a wee chat with Liam Craig tonight,just what I needed to be confident of being ok this season,so positive,not sure if he’s got a diesel hybrid though 

Almost certain he'll cycle to McDiarmid. 

If not he drives a Nissan of some type, but not a hybrid.

He speaks about getting more crosses into the box in the article above. Early on last season, we were right at the top of the standings for crosses into the box and that was obviously playing the 5-2-3. I see @RandomGuy. has suggested me might see a return to that tomorrow and it's surely a reasonable assumption to make.

That presents problems though as it relied on the centre backs providing an overload and we had a machine in the middle of the park. If you can't get the CBs forward and the central midfielders can't get about the park then I doubt the outlook is positive.

Big day for the manager tomorrow. Another meek surrender then we have Rangers and Hearts away, Celtic home and Motherwell away (5 wins, 1 draw from last six non-OF home games) coming up, as well as obviously Ross County.

29 minutes ago, Radford said:

He speaks about getting more crosses into the box in the article above. Early on last season, we were right at the top of the standings for crosses into the box and that was obviously playing the 5-2-3. I see @RandomGuy. has suggested me might see a return to that tomorrow and it's surely a reasonable assumption to make.

That presents problems though as it relied on the centre backs providing an overload and we had a machine in the middle of the park. If you can't get the CBs forward and the central midfielders can't get about the park then I doubt the outlook is positive.

Big day for the manager tomorrow. Another meek surrender then we have Rangers and Hearts away, Celtic home and Motherwell away (5 wins, 1 draw from last six non-OF home games) coming up, as well as obviously Ross County.

It might work out if we have Craig and Bryson in the middle to disrupt and are able to get Rooney running at people without MOH getting in the way. Booth has to get further up the park as well. I guess the 3 up front is more viable if the reports that May and Middleton could both be available are true. Think is it never really worked with Kane in the middle, E2 is surely a better option for that role but I can't see Kane being dropped. 

On the league, I can't quite work out if the next 2 rounds featuring County vs Dundee and Livi vs County is good news or not for us but it does mean things will be interesting by the time we play our postponed game against County.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Some of the names I've heard mentioned as possible signings are of decent pedigree. Whether they're for the right positions is debatable imo. but they've all played at a decent standard at some points of their careers, although maybe not at the current time. It's a gamble....

Mostly free agents Tam?

Seems we're pretty serious about Jamie Walker. That would be a good thing IMO. 

8 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Mostly free agents Tam?

Seems we're pretty serious about Jamie Walker. That would be a good thing IMO. 

One free agent who's played most of his career in the English championship, a few more along the lines of Cleary and Walker.

The usual folk will turn their noses up at Walker and Cleary but both have had something about them in the past, If they do end up at Saints they'll have the chance to replicate that. I'm open to at least trying with those types, it's the striker that needs to be proven, a proven goalscorer is the catalyst for everything else imo.

23 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Exactly my recent thoughts.

Is Callum to Tommy Wright what Clark was to Sturrock.

Not sure, as I still think Davidson is a far better coach than Clark was, but the success achieved with someone else’s team before it unravelling feels similar.

No. Think folk forget that Davidson helped shape a large part of the team he inherited when he was assistant. Even if some of the players weren't his, he would have been instrumental in the philosophy etc.

Going back to Clark, Sturrock left him a squad full of quality and experience, which Clark saw fit to totally dismantle.

What I would imagine Davidson is doing is sounding out more experienced managers for advice on how to fix the problems. He's not some normal daft ex player, so he'll see what we all see. Being able to fix it msy be much harder.

I don't think Crawford or McPherson look like the answer, but maybe the coaches see something in training that just isn't getting actioned in games and thinking they can make it translate, then we have another Spoony like improvement, by which I mean adding consistency and purpose to an obvious talent.

3 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

On the league, I can't quite work out if the next 2 rounds featuring County vs Dundee and Livi vs County is good news or not for us but it does mean things will be interesting by the time we play our postponed game against County.

Draws all round, please. If you take it as a race to x number of points, then two clubs sharing 2 points is better than one team gaining 3 points IMO.