Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Preston have apparently agreed terms with a manager of another club, and their backroom team isn’t following them.

I’m guessing it’s the Plymouth manager.

Edit: Plymouth fans are adamant their managers staying. Could be interesting tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Preston have apparently agreed terms with a manager of another club, and their backroom team isn’t following them.

I’m guessing it’s the Plymouth manager.

Edit: Plymouth fans are adamant their managers staying. Could be interesting tomorrow.

Presume it is Ryan Lowe when the odds are so short, but interesting to see Graham Alexander a bit further down the list - a Preston legend + having a good season + clearly just at Motherwell to build his rep and get another crack down south

Is it a case of careful what you wish for here?

I haven’t enjoyed this season at all, and if we continue the same style of zero enjoyment or excitement to the summer and Callum was to leave, I’d think that would be a decent time for both parties.

But I trust Callum to get us out of this mess.  He’s also surely got some deals lined up for January? If we had to bring in someone new now there’s barely any time at all to work on shape or tactics, as most of December will be simply matches and recovery.  It’s not as if we’ve got players on the sidelines to vastly improve us. 

Probably a bit over-cautious as the thought of something new is intriguing, but I’d be worried about a manager change right now with the situation we’re in.

7 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I haven’t enjoyed this season at all, and if we continue the same style of zero enjoyment or excitement to the summer and Callum was to leave, I’d think that would be a decent time for both parties.

But I trust Callum to get us out of this mess.  He’s also surely got some deals lined up for January? If we had to bring in someone new now there’s barely any time at all to work on shape or tactics, as most of December will be simply matches and recovery.  It’s not as if we’ve got players on the sidelines to vastly improve us. 

Probably a bit over-cautious as the thought of something new is intriguing, but I’d be worried about a manager change right now with the situation we’re in.

I think you're right tbh, too many games coming up for any upheaval to be worth it. If he leaves then we'll need to find someone who either knows the squad well, or knows the league well. Best outcome is we pick up some form, hit January, we get players in to suit how he wants to play and everything starts improving. 

@glenrothes 1884 saint 's McInnes shout the obviously good one for the second part, and I've no idea how much he knows about the squad. Some sort of deal until the Summer there might suit everyone.

Long term I wouldn't have a clue. Its not the right situation for Craig/MacLean yet IMO especially if he does go this month. 

8 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

In no way am I saying I want him to leave. 

But I don't think I'd be devastated if he did. Which is a weird thing to say given last year, but the football this year has been nothing short of shite. 

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think Davidson is a great manager, and with the right squad, could do great things.

Theres a difference between "not being adventurous" with signings and being negligent though.

Not arguing that his signing record looks dismal right now - and for context I've been critical of Davidson to the extent I fear I'm spoiling the game for other spectators around me - but we need perspective before we call it negligence.

Six or seven months ago who wouldn't have agreed that Guy Melamed was the best striker we'd signed in nearly a decade (streets ahead of the dross that Tommy Wright dragged in)? Last Spring wasn't everyone saying Middleton was the best loan deal ever, or at least the best since Danny McNamara? Maybe they weren't long-term deals, but the point is there was no doubt then that Davidson could spot a player and let him shine. Sean Rooney was being touted for Scotland.

Six months on we look awful. Davidson's struggling and every player in that team bar maybe Gordon and Clark looks inept. I admit I'd love to be shot of Ali Crawford right now because he's dragging the team down. But equally I know there's a good player there, or there was at Hamilton. Isn't it circumstances as much as anything that's affecting judgement? Or maybe it's the team's approach. EIther way, I still hope Davidson – a bright and thoughtul manager – will learn from this.

Could it all unravel if Callum Davidson leaves? Obviously that is possible. Would I still risk that in the hope of the soul not being sucked out of watching Saints? Yes, I would. 

That's not showing any sort of lack of gratitude for last season (and I really enjoyed the football we played under him early on) but he's reverted to uber-Wright levels of pragmatism and it's absolute torture to watch. 

Of course the argument is there that he suffered with the late August departures but he/we (the club) looked wholly unprepared for it.

Really do feel like this could be a blessing in disguise but I don't expect him to get the Preston job. 

50 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Six or seven months ago who wouldn't have agreed that Guy Melamed was the best striker we'd signed in nearly a decade (streets ahead of the dross that Tommy Wright dragged in)? Last Spring wasn't everyone saying Middleton was the best loan deal ever, or at least the best since Danny McNamara? Maybe they weren't long-term deals, but the point is there was no doubt then that Davidson could spot a player and let him shine. Sean Rooney was being touted for Scotland.

Shaun Rooney wasn't signed by Davidson and then sat on the bench for 6 months.

Danny McNamara he'd known about for at least a year before he signed him.

Has Middleton been that good beyond a couple of key goals? Even last season he drifted through a lot of games. Won't argue he's been a good loan due to the goals he did get though.

Melamed was handed to him on a plate and again, he spent months out the side before being chucked in. I know how this'll sound but was he really much better than Brian Graham was for us? Better than Graham Cummins in his first season? I liked Melamed though tbh.

Won't argue he can improve a player over the course of a season. 

As the football was postponed on Saturday I was raking through an old collection of my late grandad's Saints stuff - and remembered we've had far worse starts to a season in the top flight...

IMG_1693.jpg.06f4d6447814712e08d4e57beb9b07dc.jpg

Edited by Mr Heliums

I wouldn’t of been distraught if Davidson had gone, but equally I think he’s a great coach and has the makings of a good manager. He’s still got a lot to learn and I’m hoping that he does relatively soon, equally I’m hoping that if he’s got a structure in place now a wider plan will begin to unfold. Especially transfer wise. 

He’s got a few things to do in January to say the least. Get rid of the deadwood loans who’re offering nothing. Get offers out to players he wants to keep, get targets signed up quickly in the window and finally start to plan for next season already. There’s a lot of players out of contract, go out and get the ones he wants. 

I'm not at the stage of hounding Callum out just yet.

Not enthralled about watching his football vision pan out either though. Boring turgid shite played by very limited so called professional athletes, with a manager frightened to change from his defensive coaching handbook surprisingly doesn't do it for me.