Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, Costanza said:

At least the new manager won't have seven games to play in twenty three days or anything ridiculous like that.

In the event he did leave, surely it would be left to Macca/Cleland + help from Liam Craig to get us through to Xmas and then go from there?

In the event he did leave, surely it would be left to Macca/Cleland + help from Liam Craig to get us through to Xmas and then go from there?

I think we’re maybe getting ahead of ourselves by thinking he’s away.

However, there’s a reason Maclean is his assistant. I think it’s clear he’d be taking over.

2 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I think we’re maybe getting ahead of ourselves by thinking he’s away.

However, there’s a reason Maclean is his assistant. I think it’s clear he’d be taking over.

Of course, in fairness they'll just end up getting a Warnock/Holloway type plodder who'll get a run of results and then get sacked again next year, but if there's one thing I would ever trust with Saints, it's to get managerial appointments correct.

I've not really seen CD linked with them anywhere properly, just Scottish fans putting 2 and 2 together

27 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Liam Craig next gaffer imo, be my choice anyway 

Slightly off topic but has he been mentioned anywhere with the Falkirk job? I'm sure his wife works for/worked for them and if he had managerial ambitions it could be a great one to start, although not sure just how much of a basket case they are just now

This would be an amazing time for Davidson to leave a sinking ship. Leaves with respect, legend and integrity all intact and goes before his stock plummets.

Next manager has it rough though. Chance to put a lot of credit in the bank with a mega important January or shite the bed and be the 'stain' on St Johnstone's managerial appointees by failing to turn it round.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

This would be an amazing time for Davidson to leave a sinking ship. Leaves with respect, legend and integrity all intact and goes before his stock plummets.

Maybe to outsiders.

I think a fair chunk of Saints fans both blame his, dreadful, transfer record and his "style" for us blowing an incredibly strong position and finding us where we are. We had a quality, young, side all contracted for 2+ years when he came in, and nothing was done to capitalise on that in terms of squad building. We still rely on Davidson, Craig and Kane FFS.

The double will never ever be forgotten, but nothing points to him managing any sustained success with us.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Next manager has it rough though. Chance to put a lot of credit in the bank with a mega important January or shite the bed and be the 'stain' on St Johnstone's managerial appointees by failing to turn it round.

I don't think I'm in the majority at all here, but I would quite happily see Davidson go. Obviously it sounds mad when he's a double cup-winning manager, but I'll always maintain that never happens if fans are in the stadium for the cup runs, his stubborn refusal to shift from his system and even bigger refusal to set the team up with a plan to control/win a game suggests he's been quickly figured out and doesn't have the ability to adapt.

We're basically set up in a way to keep things tight and relying on a set-piece or a moment of magic to score goals, but obviously that magic is non existence when we've got Chris Kane up front on his own. I would actually be interested to see how he got on down south as having better players might bail him out and allow that system to flourish, but it's also a world where clubs have no qualms about sacking a manager after 10 games, so if he replicated this stunning run of a goal from open play every 4/5 games when we're not playing Dundee then he'll be out on his arse before the season is over.

Davidson’s position as a club legend has been sealed. I think it would be a shame for him to move on if he chose too, but I’m always very wary of managers leaving mid season.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Maybe to outsiders.

I think a fair chunk of Saints fans both blame his, dreadful, transfer record and his "style" for us blowing an incredibly strong position and finding us where we are. We had a quality, young, side all contracted for 2+ years when he came in, and nothing was done to capitalise on that in terms of squad building. We still rely on Davidson, Craig and Kane FFS.

The double will never ever be forgotten, but nothing points to him managing any sustained success with us.

Maybe it's because there wasn't a St Johnstone game at the weekend to depress me, but I think that's awfully harsh.

We've always operated a small squad and if players are playing well (as they were last season) and cashflow is negative (as it was until this transfer window) I find it hard to blame Davidson for not being adventurous in his signings. Six months ago we were told that part of the reason for our success was the stability of our squad - think about it: Davidson, Craig and Kane were all St Johnstone players five years before Tommy Wright arrived as manager in 2013. And six or seven months ago all three of them were playing fantastically well.

I'm not saying Davidson has done well with signings, I just think there are mitigating circumstances. We also have to remember he's a season and a bit into his first managerial role. He's having to learn on the job and cope with heightened expectations. 

I think Davidson's too passive as a manager and his football is too boring, and I can't believe any other club would take a punt on him right now. But he's still learning. Far too early to write him off.

18 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Maybe it's because there wasn't a St Johnstone game at the weekend to depress me, but I think that's awfully harsh.

We've always operated a small squad and if players are playing well (as they were last season) and cashflow is negative (as it was until this transfer window) I find it hard to blame Davidson for not being adventurous in his signings.

I think Davidson is a great manager, and with the right squad, could do great things.

Theres a difference between "not being adventurous" with signings and being negligent though.

His permanent signings who got more than 1 year deals are James Brown and Charlie Gilmour. Vertainen too if people are wanting to credit him with that signing. Bryson and Conway signed to get us through the "Covid" season, one of which is 35yo, unable to play 3 games in a week, and is probably our best midfielder. Melamed just a complete punt as we were desperate.

For me hes made 2 permanent signings of note in 3 windows. One of them he doesn't even know where to play and the other is on loan at Alloa. The rest are just short term loan punts. Its like he puts no effort into it as he knows he can improve players off the pitch, so now we're stuck with half our squad being inexperienced, flawed, players who hes desperately trying to fashion into the type of players he wants. He had, at least, 6 months to plan for a really obvious situation where we lose Kerr in the Summer window. He signed James Brown, then Hayden Muller on loan, then Lars Dendoncker on loan, then Efe Ambrose.

4 attempts, spread out over weeks and beyond the window, for one position, and in the end we've ended up moving Rooney back there. Its not good enough.

Edited by RandomGuy.