Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

26 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Aw christ, I thought MacPherson was just until January, but it's a season long option with a St Mirren recall option, and there's no reason for them to trigger that

It's Crawford that is till January.

What a shit show this all is. 

The two biggest reasons that the formation worked last year were sold for peanuts.

Just now, The Saintee said:

It's Crawford that is till January.

What a shit show this all is. 

The two biggest reasons that the formation worked last year were sold for peanuts.

Come on just think about that sweet, sweet sell on!

Have to put my hand up to being okay with the Macpherson signing as a squad player at the time.  Having seen him stand out against us as a 20 year old I thought he must have something but had just lost his way.  Give him a chance and see what he can bring.

He did have a decent spell (possibly Livi when we were 1-0 down and playing okay before the comedy second goal?). knocking passes around and taking good dead balls.  Crawford also has attributes in terms of driving forward and getting a couple of goals.

The problem is the pair of them show a complete lack of appetite to get in about the game and affect it.  It'll always be someone else that does it.  Just a pair of generic midfielders who probably look decent in training but ghost through matches when the going is tough.  It's no coincidence that our midfield has been dominated in every single match we've played since the last Dundee game.

Fair enough it didn't achieve much, but Liam Craig was desperate to get on the ball and influence things in the second half.

If we have to stick with this formation on Saturday, Bryson, Davidson and Craig the midfield three please.  Keep Rooney at RCB.

Cammy McPherson can take his ass back to a Paisley and never return as far as I’m concerned. And he can take Ali Crawford with him. 

Concerning thing from Callum’s interview on BBC radio Scotland is he said something along the lines of ‘we need to do better defensively’. I think that says it all. He’s focusing so much on defending that we’re forgetting going forward.

Depressing as f**k. 

2 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

Cammy McPherson can take his ass back to a Paisley and never return as far as I’m concerned. And he can take Ali Crawford with him. 

Concerning thing from Callum’s interview on BBC radio Scotland is he said something along the lines of ‘we need to do better defensively’. I think that says it all. He’s focusing so much on defending that we’re forgetting going forward.

Depressing as f**k. 

The defence would probably do ok if they weren't under constant pressure because they get no help from the midfield or attack.

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

The defence would probably do ok if they weren't under constant pressure because they get no help from the midfield or attack.

Yep. 

Have to laugh at him bemoaning the lack of options to change things up front when he takes the main threat off and basically leaves HIMSELF with no options left. HE put himself in that position.

He could’ve had Viv on for either McPherson or Crawford. Take your pick. 

Unbelievable that he won’t change the formation when we need two goals to win the game. What harm is there in having an extra forward player on? It’s common fucking sense!

Genuinely don't know where to begin. Craig coming on and being the one player in the midfield who didn't seem totally disinterested in having the ball. MacPherson looking miles and miles off this level. Crawford being an absolute passenger for majority of the game, again.

I had hoped that when signed MacPherson there was a view to him replacing, or at least filling in for, McCann. I can't decide if I'm more comfortable with the idea if that it was a panic signing or if Davidson really thought he could fill that role.

That second 45 really, really concerned me. Absolutely looked like a side that will be kicking about the relegation places.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Have to put my hand up to being okay with the Macpherson signing as a squad player at the time.  Having seen him stand out against us as a 20 year old I thought he must have something but had just lost his way.  Give him a chance and see what he can bring.

He did have a decent spell (possibly Livi when we were 1-0 down and playing okay before the comedy second goal?). knocking passes around and taking good dead balls.  Crawford also has attributes in terms of driving forward and getting a couple of goals.

The problem is the pair of them show a complete lack of appetite to get in about the game and affect it.  It'll always be someone else that does it.  Just a pair of generic midfielders who probably look decent in training but ghost through matches when the going is tough.  It's no coincidence that our midfield has been dominated in every single match we've played since the last Dundee game.

I think both would be fine as squad players, where you only ever really have one of them on the pitch at one time and its only as a sub or to rest someone else.

The fact both seem to be first choice regulars is wild, even worse that starting them means we're playing Davidson as the deep CM. To me hes the only one we have who can really dominate the middle of the park physically so its a waste to have him deep.

The fact that the only three CMs we have who look good enough to start for us are 33, 34, and 35, should be an embarrassment for the manager. Hes had 18 months to sort that out, with the cushion of having McCann plugging multiple holes for 12 months on top of that. His attempts at resolving it are 2 sub standard players on loan, and a long term deal to a guy about to turn 23 and playing for Alloa.

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your Martin Hardie type figures, even David Wotherspoon, get involved to f**k in that second half and try and get something moving. 

You mean like our most important game this season against LASK?

Quoting Wotherspoon in the same breath as "Martin Hardie type player" tells me how you read the game.

1 hour ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Managers comments at the end are the most worrying thing he’s obviously watching a different game with different players  than everyone else is. 

hopefully cammy Macpherson is never seen in a st.johnstone shirt again

Obviously I didnt see your match last night, but I did hear CD comments on the radio en route home.

I also heard his comments after the Hibs game.

It seems clear that he is struggling for players in key positions, needs to strengthen with some permanent deals (not loans).

But for the time being he cant slaughter the players as he needs to - figuratively - pish with the cock he has.

I think Callum Davidson needs to show he's aware of the problems before we improve – still sense he's in denial.

Don't want us to fall down the hole of blaming everything on the September transfer window because that covers deeper problems. Of course McCann and Kerr are a loss, but I don't think we'd won in the league before they left and pretty sure none of our players had scored. The only performance where we looked decent – Dundee at home – from memory came after they'd left.

23 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

You mean like our most important game this season against LASK?

Quoting Wotherspoon in the same breath as "Martin Hardie type player" tells me how you read the game.

I'm obviously not meaning in terms of style. 

Both would try and take charge of a game, in their own way, and drag us up the park. Just now we have nobody in midfield who can do that. Craig tried to get on the ball last night but he's not going to dominate a midfield on the ball.

Wotherspoon last night is all over the place picking up the ball, trying to beat men, trying to create chances for himself and others. I genuinely can't remember Crawford doing anything of note after half time.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm obviously not meaning in terms of style. 

Both would try and take charge of a game, in their own way, and drag us up the park. Just now we have nobody in midfield who can do that. Craig tried to get on the ball last night but he's not going to dominate a midfield on the ball.

Wotherspoon last night is all over the place picking up the ball, trying to beat men, trying to create chances for himself and others. I genuinely can't remember Crawford doing anything of note after half time.

Wotherspoon has been a bright light for around 18 months, one of our best players, we all know this. I've also seen him run around in circles trying and failing too many times to mention, that's even before we get onto him letting us down against LASK. He is light years ahead of Crawford and probably a better centre midfielder than McPherson but he wouldn't have changed that game last night. The only person that could've influenced it in a positive way was Callum fucking Davidson, did he? Did he f**k. Much like half of last season and most of this.

Edited by tree house tam