Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Looking forward to watching a Crawford, Kane, MOH frontline for the next two months.

Goals will rain down on us.

I mean even when May, Middleton and Kane were available it wasn't like it was ever monsoon season in the final third

unless we played Dundee but they are also a bad team so nothing to be relied upon.

Can't wait for Eetu to play and score the winner in Kane's absence this weekend only to get dropped because CD doesn't feel he's become culturally immersed enough yet

7 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

I mean even when May, Middleton and Kane were available it wasn't like it was ever monsoon season in the final third

unless we played Dundee but they are also a bad team so nothing to be relied upon.

Can't wait for Eetu to play and score the winner in Kane's absence this weekend only to get dropped because CD doesn't feel he's become culturally immersed enough yet

Callum needs to see at least two Loft red carpet photos of Eetu before we can really say he’s Perth enough tbh.

54 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

:lol:

I'm being serious when I'm saying Dundee fans should be getting in touch with those in charge to get assurances with regards to timescales. Building a new stadium will be an absolute c**t so they need guarantees the new stadium is 100% on beforehand.

Too many decent clubs been knackered by ending up homeless.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I'm being serious when I'm saying Dundee fans should be getting in touch with those in charge to get assurances with regards to timescales. Building a new stadium will be an absolute c**t so they need guarantees the new stadium is 100% on beforehand.

Too many decent clubs been knackered by ending up homeless.

Firstly, it's an article from DCT who have notoriously limited access to the club. They get 1 interview with the manager per week if we are playing and access to the games, pretty much the exact same as the national papers. This can be evidenced with this being the only Dundee FC related story that's been published over the past week. Therefore, I'm not taking it as the major scoop that needs people protesting the board that you seem to be.

Secondly, if the board had any ill intent, which over the past decade they've proven they don't, then there'd be easier ways to f**k us over.

Furthermore, they have binned e-mails from higher profile people than myself before we even get into the banter territory of lost e-mails. What difference would me getting in contact do? 

We'd have been dead and buried if it wasn't for our chairman a long time ago. There's nothing to say in the DCT article that Dens has to be bulldozed before we've started work on the new stadium - just that it will help finance the project. It could easily be that there will just be a small overlap hence the willingness to go to Perth or Arbroath for a few month whilst the stadium is the focus. There's a hell of a lot more construction work than just the stadium involved in the original plans. That's obviously assuming that the first paragraph I wrote is wrong and DCT do have this sensational scoop.

Finally, my club has been fucked more times than you'd know and keeps tumbling along. We're not Rangers here, we'll always be about.

If our board fucked off tomorrow, we'd need to make serious decisions about our future home anyway as it's a noose round the club's neck.

Okay, so briefly getting involved in possible stadium shares. Queens parks ground was meant to be ready for this season starting. They’re groundsharing with partick still after disputes with the builders. I’d say Dundee should have a fallback for any issues like that happening, and as much as fans would be annoyed, using Tannadice makes more sense than Mcdiarmid or Arbroath.

Especially if your having a poor season, how many would be willing to travel 30 minutes extra if your getting cuffed every week?

Anyway…back to Saints, any possible signings we can see coming in apart from Crawford?

Possibly discussed previously here, but I notice MacPherson turns 23 in December.  

I take it that means there would be no development fee if we were looking to sign him permanently at the end of the season.  Suppose him on a PCA in a January is a possibility.

He’s not done enough yet, but we do need a squad, especially with 3 of our central midfielders being mid 30’s, so if the terms were favourable for us I think he’s one that still might have a lot of improvement to come, so worth a punt.  I’d prefer him to Crawford.

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Possibly discussed previously here, but I notice MacPherson turns 23 in December.  

I take it that means there would be no development fee if we were looking to sign him permanently at the end of the season. 

No, because he was U23 when the season started.

It would require a fee.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I maybe disagree with you there. I thought it was their age when their contract ends.

Happy to be corrected.

Think you're right tbh.

Screenshot_20211123-124751_Drive.jpg.ab742acd2651a8d9b174220633bb25ad.jpg

Apparently we’re in for Daniel Cleary from Dundalk? Plays in defence.

Looks like we’re starting to build for long term as well. Talk of loans only required because of how the last window ended. Can’t let that happen again.

I think it's only natural that players you can get references for from people you trust will be of more interest.

On paper, this guy doesn't excite me (10 bookings in 23 games!) but you have to give this new recruitment process an opportunity and at least it's a proper signing of a player at a good age.

Since he was mentioned, a word on Efe Ambrose. When Vertainen was called back from his warm-up on Saturday, Ambrose was straight off the bench with his shirt to meet to him and had a good few words of clear encouragement for him. A small thing but thought it said a lot about him.

Edited by Radford

10 minutes ago, Radford said:

I think it's only natural that players you can get references for from people you trust will be of more interest.

On paper, this guy doesn't excite me (10 bookings in 23 games!) but you have to give this new recruitment process an opportunity and at least it's a proper signing of a player at a good age.

Since he was mentioned, a word on Efe Ambrose. When Vertainen was called back from his warm-up on Saturday, Ambrose was straight off the bench with his shirt to meet to him and had a good few words of clear encouragement for him. A small thing but thought it said a lot about him.

Yeah I spotted that on Saturday too, I think some of Efe's footballing decisions can leave a lot to be desired, but he's clearly a terrific professional and I can see why he was brought in, even short term. An experienced, calming individual who is very much a team player, so great respect for him.

On Clearly, whilst he's 25 and seems a little hot headed, there are good players in the LoI, just look at McCarthy and McGrath at St Mirren, after 6 months of settling they were absolutely flying and will be going on to bigger and better things come the end of the year. I know they're a little younger, but we're going to be looking for multiple centre backs next season, so even if he's not a first choice getting him in 6 months before next season letting him learn the system and the way to play is a good move. He may turn out to be rubbish, but a permanent signing who's under the age of 26 and has a decent pedigree and is playing first team football is definitely a step in the right direction, away from guys on loan or under 23 teams. 

On a side note, I wonder if we'll look to bring Dendoncker in if his contract is allowed to expire. He's clearly got ability, is reasonably quick, wins his fair share and has plenty of room to improve. I think he's the most natural replacement we have to Kerr in the squad, since he's willing to step into midfield and try and play a pass and with some more games and a little more experience I think he could be a terrific player. 

8 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Let's hope they used a different system from the one that identified Cummins, Gormley and McMillan.

Well I thought Cummins was actually pretty decent, albeit by the end he couldn't finish his dinner, he did however come from down south having been at Preston. Same for Gormley, albeit he was a different league in Ireland, again came from down south on loan from Peterborough, unmitigated disaster though.

McMillan was the only one directly from LoI and to be fair his pedigree should have stood him in good stead, he had European goals against some big teams; however being RKO'd by Thomas Cerny totally changed him as a player and I think destroyed his confidence to the point of no return, otherwise I suspect he might have actually scored a few goals for us in the end. 

I get the point, the league can be very hit or miss and for the most part we've missed, but then again you've only got to look at the likes of Alan Mannus to see that if you get it right, then there is huge potential for success.

Yeah I spotted that on Saturday too, I think some of Efe's footballing decisions can leave a lot to be desired, but he's clearly a terrific professional and I can see why he was brought in, even short term. An experienced, calming individual who is very much a team player, so great respect for him.
On Clearly, whilst he's 25 and seems a little hot headed, there are good players in the LoI, just look at McCarthy and McGrath at St Mirren, after 6 months of settling they were absolutely flying and will be going on to bigger and better things come the end of the year. I know they're a little younger, but we're going to be looking for multiple centre backs next season, so even if he's not a first choice getting him in 6 months before next season letting him learn the system and the way to play is a good move. He may turn out to be rubbish, but a permanent signing who's under the age of 26 and has a decent pedigree and is playing first team football is definitely a step in the right direction, away from guys on loan or under 23 teams. 
On a side note, I wonder if we'll look to bring Dendoncker in if his contract is allowed to expire. He's clearly got ability, is reasonably quick, wins his fair share and has plenty of room to improve. I think he's the most natural replacement we have to Kerr in the squad, since he's willing to step into midfield and try and play a pass and with some more games and a little more experience I think he could be a terrific player. 

I really like Dendoncker, he looks like a little light on weight but as you say he’s willing to run with it and throw himself about, as we all saw in the Hearts game.