Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

49 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

As far as I'm aware, all he's done on the pitch for Saints is an extraordinary attempt at a bicycle kick then run about a little lost for 5 mins, but no worse than anyone else.

Would be such a shame if that's all we ever see of him, no matter how good he is or isn't.

You just know that if we let him go, he's going to pop up in a few years signing for some team in Italy for a few million and get a bundle of goals and caps for Finland. 

Thing is, there's literally no downside to giving him a shot, which is the same as we were saying about Melamed last season. The current strikers aren't scoring or creating chances and are generally offering very little (albeit with awful service to be fair to them), so what's the harm in giving him a start and seeing what he's about. But then again we said the same about Melamed and I can't argue the way Davidson handled him seemed to be almost perfect. 

Well with Kane suspended for the next league game surely its a given he will get some game time.If you ask me it piles more pressure on the boy to perform after having been excluded for soooo long.He can't surely be any worse than our current strikers.After all we have only scored 8 goals all season and not all of them were by strikers...pathetic!

Well with Kane suspended for the next league game surely its a given he will get some game time.If you ask me it piles more pressure on the boy to perform after having been excluded for soooo long.He can't surely be any worse than our current strikers.After all we have only scored 8 goals all season and not all of them were by strikers...pathetic!

….Kane scored twice v Dundee?

3 hours ago, Widge said:

Thing is, there's literally no downside to giving him a shot, which is the same as we were saying about Melamed last season. The current strikers aren't scoring or creating chances and are generally offering very little (albeit with awful service to be fair to them), so what's the harm in giving him a start and seeing what he's about. But then again we said the same about Melamed and I can't argue the way Davidson handled him seemed to be almost perfect. 

Agree with you, but i think the issue is more what the manager sees as the priority in his strikers. I think for Callum it is their ability to close down and be our first line of defence. If they don't score, but get us up the park by closing down and winning free kicks then all well and good if we're nicking goals from elsewhere.  I guess to be fair to Kane and May, they put in a heck of a shift running around and closing down.

I'm convinced that was one of the reasons Hendry was never going to be Davidson's type, and could well be a factor in Eetu not getting a chance.

When it comes to Vertainen I convince myself that Callum has seen potential but that he's very raw. So he's giving him time to acclimatise to a very different league before unleashing him. 

And then I think....Callum is also excited by Cammy MacPherson.

We’ve scored the least number of goal in the league so far this season - bottom of the table county have scored more than double we have!

I can see where disgruntled Saints fans are coming from, we have this new striker available who hasn’t even kicked a ball - it’s nearly Christmas - it’s only natural to question what’s going on. Now that Kane is suspended then surely, SURELY, he will start a game. Think it’s a bit strange folk are coming away with stuff like “he needs to be acclimatised to the league” - wtf does that even mean. He’s been here for nearly half a year - a professional footballer needs to hit the ground running, not spending time doing god knows what “acclimatising.” We aren’t scoring enough goals and we don’t have anything to lose - get him started and let’s see what he can do.

48 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Anyone any idea how many tickets we’ve sold for the semi?

They were selling them by section AFAIK, so how many sections have we sold in would be a starting point.

IMG_20211112_124542.thumb.jpg.3888803b25e809d196f0ee9a48e4f52b.jpg

think our initial allocation (and I suspect some of that has now been returned) was P1 to P5 and A1 to A4. 

38 minutes ago, Radford said:

They were selling them by section AFAIK, so how many sections have we sold in would be a starting point.

IMG_20211112_124542.thumb.jpg.3888803b25e809d196f0ee9a48e4f52b.jpg

think our initial allocation (and I suspect some of that has now been returned) was P1 to P5 and A1 to A4. 

Most importantly we’ve sold out The Shed so there’ll be at least 1,000 there.

It is pish poor for a semi-final; on the one hand I feel folk should turn up and back the team, especially after what we achieved last season, and it is a cup semi final after all..

.. but on the other, the fact that going on recent form the expectation from most Saints fans must be we'll barely have any periods of decent football and may well fail to register a shot at goal, doesn't make it an appealing trip.  Not even anything to do with our chances of winning, just watching murderball with 30% possession and 40,000 brain dead morons singing away delightedly as if they've delivered some incredible achievement must be a hard sell to our casual fans. 

I hope I'm being unfairly pessimistic, as we've often defied the odds on the big occasion plenty of times, just a little scunnered with how this season has gone so far.

When the draw was made Celtic were probably as good a draw as any, but with the recent good and bad form of Celtic and Hibs respectively, and recent events at ibrox, it now looks as though either of the other two would be far preferable.  Makes for an easier final for us I suppose.  :whistle

On 11/11/2021 at 15:13, jamamafegan said:

We’ve scored the least number of goal in the league so far this season - bottom of the table county have scored more than double we have!

I can see where disgruntled Saints fans are coming from, we have this new striker available who hasn’t even kicked a ball - it’s nearly Christmas - it’s only natural to question what’s going on. Now that Kane is suspended then surely, SURELY, he will start a game. Think it’s a bit strange folk are coming away with stuff like “he needs to be acclimatised to the league” - wtf does that even mean. He’s been here for nearly half a year - a professional footballer needs to hit the ground running, not spending time doing god knows what “acclimatising.” We aren’t scoring enough goals and we don’t have anything to lose - get him started and let’s see what he can do.

Yep WTF does acclimatise mean.Totally bollox.He's not going to acclimatise on the training pitch