Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

A move you couldn't grudge him tbf, boyhood fan of them I think? 
At an age where a big move like that gives him more than we can offer, bit shite bit that's just where we are.
I've already started looking at Millwalls U19 squad to see who we'll be loaning in to replace him this Summer.

I think at his age, and with obvious chances in the Scotland squad he would be daft to turn it down.

I think there is some high hope with Ross Sinclair but I think we’re a couple of years from him being first choice.

7 hours ago, mizfit said:

I think there is some high hope with Ross Sinclair but I think we’re a couple of years from him being first choice.

I'm always a bit wary of "highly rated" youngsters who never seem to become regulars on loan tbh. But goalkeepers are probably different to outfield players.

Someone told me Sinclair had surgery this year on both hands or something. Claimed its a common thing for goalkeepers.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I would be amazed if there's actually anything in that rumour, given I suspect McGregor won't be retiring; however, as I mentioned a week ago, fully expect Zander to leave for pastures new and nobody can begrudge him that recently. Which means you hope that this head of recruitment has a nice long list of mid-20 goalkeepers who're coming out of contract in the summer who we can be signing up an a pre-season contract. I'd go as far as saying there is little risk in this, since Parish is out of contract at the end of the season anyway, so even if Zander stays, it's not really an issue and having competition for him (if he stays) is no bad thing. 

12 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

A move you couldn't grudge him tbf, boyhood fan of them I think? 

At an age where a big move like that gives him more than we can offer, bit shite bit that's just where we are.

I've already started looking at Millwalls U19 squad to see who we'll be loaning in to replace him this Summer.

I think you are right. It is his boyhood team and you would imagine it would be a dream of his. He is a confident lad, so he will think he'd get the no.1 shirt, but he would be foolish not to ask Gerrard, if he went into discussions, as to whether he'd be first choice or whether a conversation would have already taken place with McLauchlin.

I'm not so sure he would be no.1 and at Zanders age and breaking into the Scotland squad, would he want to sit out a few years as a backup and getting only maybe cup games etc?

Other factor may be as to whether Gerrard himself may still be there. You would imagine when he goes, any manager going into Rangers will not come from Scotland or the Scottish leagues, so will probably be unaware of Zander and its a position managers like to bring someone they know and trust into.

Whatever happens, he has big decisions to make in next few months and Saints cannot really begrudge him wanting to look at his options. For us, I cannot say I've ever seen Sinclair play, so no idea if he could step up, but I'd always rather we develop our own and being a local lad helps. I think Parrish is a good keeper and an able deputy, but I'd rather a keeper who we can have in goal for a long time and build a defence around. 

6 hours ago, Widge said:

I would be amazed if there's actually anything in that rumour, given I suspect McGregor won't be retiring; however, as I mentioned a week ago, fully expect Zander to leave for pastures new and nobody can begrudge him that recently. Which means you hope that this head of recruitment has a nice long list of mid-20 goalkeepers who're coming out of contract in the summer who we can be signing up an a pre-season contract. I'd go as far as saying there is little risk in this, since Parish is out of contract at the end of the season anyway, so even if Zander stays, it's not really an issue and having competition for him (if he stays) is no bad thing. 

It's Scott Burns though and he's quite reliable in terms of rumours at Saints right?

The number of players we will need to recruit ahead of next season gives me the absolute fear. A McCart type signing in January again would offer a bit of hope but remains to be seen at this point. When CD deal was announced there was optimistic chat about the squad side of things but other than Gordon signing new contract there's been nothing.

The number of players we will need to recruit ahead of next season gives me the absolute fear. A McCart type signing in January again would offer a bit of hope but remains to be seen at this point. When CD deal was announced there was optimistic chat about the squad side of things but other than Gordon signing new contract there's been nothing.

I’d imagine we’ve offered contract extensions to every player we want to Retain and are awaiting their responses.

January has to see some new signings, even PCA announcements. We need something desperately to boost morale.

I’d imagine we’ve offered contract extensions to every player we want to Retain and are awaiting their responses.

January has to see some new signings, even PCA announcements. We need something desperately to boost morale.

Crawford offered a deal until 2024 according to Scott Burns.

Am I the only one who thinks Crawford is an empty jersey? Genuinely doesn’t influence a game at all, maybe he’s not match fit and I’m being harsh, but I’d rather Spoony played every time. 

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

Am I the only one who thinks Crawford is an empty jersey? Genuinely doesn’t influence a game at all, maybe he’s not match fit and I’m being harsh, but I’d rather Spoony played every time. 

Aye, no influence v United right enough.  He was awful against the Maureen's, been fine in other games.  

7 minutes ago, Widge said:

No. I few folk I know think the same.

What's the point?

Why are we offering a 31yo (age when the deal starts) a 2yr deal this early? Are we so convinced there isn't a better, younger, option?

Has he done anything to deserve a 2yr deal yet?

He's been fine but to me he's quite clearly just an option in the squad. Diving in this early to give a 2yr deal to a 30+ CM when our squad is filled with them and he's arguably the weakest.

Great stuff.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

Totally agree but players that can score goals, at the end of the day, have a role. And we don't have many of them. 

He could probably be quite effective in the right team but I'd question if that will ever be Saints under Davidson. 

Committing to a two-year deal in January seems needless and rash and pretty much agree with all the issues raised by @RandomGuy. above.