Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

16 hours ago, stevensanph said:

Ali McCann makes the Football365 winners list... Unfortnately he seems to be a completely different Ali McCann to the one we sold...

image.thumb.png.6ecae899f828626dc87e6c6da1cb23c0.png

To be fair, he is a Scottish youngster. Just happens to play for NI.

I take the point though, journalists wouldn't regularly call McTominay English 

3 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I give it 3 years before the Scottish media ask how we let McCann slip through the net.

There is an irony in the way we fall over ourselves to try and cap English players at all age groups, yet have no interest in getting Scots eligible for other countries tied to the system. 

Wonder what Ewan Henderson was up to this week? 

I was talking to a former coach at Saints, and former manager elsewhere and he didn’t rate Ali, said he was too soft, I couldn’t believe it,
Certainly not something you could accuse him of in last 2nor 3 years. Tenacious and competent tackler and not afraid to give big licks to teammates and officials.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

There is an irony in the way we fall over ourselves to try and cap English players at all age groups, yet have no interest in getting Scots eligible for other countries tied to the system. 

So true.

McGeady and McCarthy others that spring to mind. 

2 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

I was talking to a former coach at Saints, and former manager elsewhere and he didn’t rate Ali, said he was too soft, I couldn’t believe it,

Scottish football in a nutshell. Forget about ability, he's not physical enough.

Get these job for the boys "you never played the game"c***s as far to f**k from football as fucking possible. c***s.

8 hours ago, FrankChickens1 said:

To be fair, he is a Scottish youngster. Just happens to play for NI.

I take the point though, journalists wouldn't regularly call McTominay English 

They regularly call McTominay shite though.  Much the same thing. 

6 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

There is a tendency in Scotland for coaches to over think their coaching and approaches to coaching.

I'm sure by most measures, on paper many of the coaches in Scotland are very highly qualified, but where we lack is the ability to just let good players play. It's been said many times that we can coach the ability out of players.

For some and probably Ali in this case, they did need to toughen up if they want to be a ball winning midfielder, but Scotland is littered with players that are technically on par for their age peers elsewhere  but drummed out of the game for being too wee etc. I suspect in McCanns case,,like a lot others, if he didn't play in the way the coaches for Scotland at that time wanted, then he was ignored and because they are petty, would continue to ignore him regardless of how well he did.

Folk have a go at Mcarthy and McGeady for choosing Ireland, but I'm sure if you asked both before either Scotland or Ireland got in contact, they'd both have chosen Scotland. Same for McCann I'm sure too. 

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Folk have a go at Mcarthy and McGeady for choosing Ireland, but I'm sure if you asked both before either Scotland or Ireland got in contact, they'd both have chosen Scotland. Same for McCann I'm sure too. 

Im sure McCarthy has said he chose Ireland because he was never asked by Scotland, he has an Irish grannie i think, so not that close a connection, and speaking to McCann after the cup win he said he was never approached by Scotland, so when N Ireland asked him it was a choice of play for them or no international football.  I'm not saying he 100% would have chosen Scotland over them, but there wasn't a choice to make. If Scotland had got there first he would likely be a Scotland player now.

I know folk like to jump in with the fact we have a strong midfield at international level, and he wouldn't be getting a game.  Give it a year or two..