Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I actually have a Martin Keown anecdote from Celtic Park. @Zamora Fan

Was queuing to get in his wife had her handbag searched. They found a bottle of water and told her she couldn't take it in.

Imagine the most confused/incredulous look you can and that was Martin's face. He took a huge swig then dumped it in a bin.

1994_evolution.jpg.7295efd59f8c2e22caa72cd217c912e3.jpg

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

With Dendoncker looking solid at LCB, we now genuinely have two line ups that I'd reckon could stay up.

2021-10-02_18-54-28.png.16fedda8f70679b64ed4c1e33166bb35.png

We've all at times called for a change in system to give us more threat, but it's plain to see why Davidson is so committed to his 3 at the back.  The fact is, we've used at least 8 players in the back 3 over just 8 league games, yet we still are only 1 goal behind the best defensive record in the league.

Its all about the formation being greater than the sum of the parts. It's a familiar, well drilled system that players can step in and out of and it remains very effective.  It's great coaching.

Happy with that. We needed to show more goal threat, and did that with both forwards scoring. 3 goals at home for the first time in the league since a 3-3 draw with Hearts in February 2020.  Still careless at times in attack, but far more positive and with an end product.

MOH so effective with space to drive into, we should persevere with him there.  

If all our defenders were fit and available, what's our strongest back line?  Rooney Gordon Ambrose McCart Booth?  Feel Ambrose is so well suited to the central 'sweeper' role, but it would require Gordon to switch to RCB; having played in a 4 for long enough it shouldn't be a problem.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

MOH so effective with space to drive into, we should persevere with him there.  

If all our defenders were fit and available, what's our strongest back line?  Rooney Gordon Ambrose McCart Booth?  Feel Ambrose is so well suited to the central 'sweeper' role, but it would require Gordon to switch to RCB; having played in a 4 for long enough it shouldn't be a problem.

You can't help but think MOH as RWB and Rooney as RCB should be the set up now.

MOH better on the wing, Rooney seems to enjoy running from deep as it gets him more space. It effectively turns into a back four in attack with MOH as the right winger, and thats a comfortable situation for both too. 

For me, I think the only defensive decision is whether you take MOH off the wing in the big games and push Rooney up/bring Ambrose in.

Gordon is first choice in the middle without question.

24 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

With Dendoncker looking solid at LCB, we now genuinely have two line ups that I'd reckon could stay up.

2021-10-02_18-54-28.png.16fedda8f70679b64ed4c1e33166bb35.png

Dendonker had a pretty shaky start I thought and yes, Ambrose has been nothing short of excellent for us so far. Every game he plays though you get the sense that he's going to overplay/showboat into losing a goal. I don't see him as an upgrade on a fit Liam Gordon, and thinking our best back 5 might be Booth - McCart - Gordon - Rooney - MOH. Hard to drop Ambrose though.

Thought MacPherson looked impressive today and looking forward to seeing more of him. 

We're definitely seeing much better squad depth than we've had for a while, just wish a few more were our players not loans, and on longer contracts.

Brilliant being back at games. Won't be taking it for granted again.  

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You can't help but think MOH as RWB and Rooney as RCB should be the set up now.

MOH better on the wing, Rooney seems to enjoy running from deep as it gets him more space. It effectively turns into a back four in attack with MOH as the right winger, and thats a comfortable situation for both too. 

For me, I think the only defensive decision is whether you take MOH off the wing in the big games and push Rooney up/bring Ambrose in.

Gordon is first choice in the middle without question.

Are you then dropping Ambrose to play Rooney-Gordon-McCart or playing Effe at RCB?  Because I think Effe is far more suited to playing central, with time to read the game, make interceptions and step out on the ball.  Gordon has been excellent in the middle, but i think he'd also be good at RCB attacking the ball.  

Nice problem to have.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Are you then dropping Ambrose to play Rooney-Gordon-McCart or playing Effe at RCB?  Because I think Effe is far more suited to playing central, with time to read the game, make interceptions and step out on the ball.  Gordon has been excellent in the middle, but i think he'd also be good at RCB attacking the ball.  

Nice problem to have.

Rooney - Gordon - McCart

As first choice. Think its suiting Rooney this season to build up steam in space, whereas hes getting suffocated higher up the park. Against stronger sides you perhaps drop MOH from RWB, put Rooney there and play Ambrose in the back 3 beside Gordon and McCart, as you say probably better with Ambrose central and Gordon RCB.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rooney - Gordon - McCart

As first choice. Think its suiting Rooney this season to build up steam in space, whereas hes getting suffocated higher up the park. Against stronger sides you perhaps drop MOH from RWB, put Rooney there and play Ambrose in the back 3 beside Gordon and McCart, as you say probably better with Ambrose central and Gordon RCB.

I just don't think that Rooney has the concentration to be an option at CB.

3 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

I just don't think that Rooney has the concentration to be an option at CB.

Think he'd be fine against most sides, just change it for stronger teams.

We look a huge threat down the right with him and MOH there, think we can afford to take some defensive risks when the upside is so big.

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Vertainen can't be all that.  If you're not giving him a run out 3-0 up at home to the bottom side, he's either carrying a knock or simply not good enough.

I mean the subs today, one was enforced due to injury early on. Probably a toss up between Middleton and Eetu to come on and given we were struggling defensively down O’Halloran’s side the Muller change was the correct one. Had we not conceded and not had injuries he may have got on. I suspect he’ll get more time after the international break with some bounce games arranged. 

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Vertainen can't be all that.  If you're not giving him a run out 3-0 up at home to the bottom side, he's either carrying a knock or simply not good enough.

I think you have to do the basics that the manager wants to get in his team. We saw it last season with Melamed. Getting up to speed doesn't necessarily refer to fitness but learning what is required of a forward in this team. 

Must be hard for foreign guys that maybe aren't used to being expected to press so much. 

Personally I'd try to encourage Vertainen along (if what suggested above is the case) by involving him more but then CD is the manager and I'm sharing anecdotes about the parents of players at Celtic Park. 

17 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I don't think thats fair.

Hes someone who likes to drop in, find space, and run at folk. Potentially in Finland theres more space in midfield, and you're not expected to bounce straight back up if you lose the ball and track back. Over here the midfield area can be congested, and hard to get the ball to feet in, while you get slaughtered for being "lazy" if you don't track back all the time. There'll definitely be an adjustment period as he adjusts his game, and I reckon thats how the club are approaching him.

Hes only turned 22 (younger than Charlie Gilmour, and not even a year older than Ballantyne) and this is his first stint of football, and life, outside of Finland. Maybe the best approach is to give him room to breathe for a while until hes settled into new routines, I dunno.

Happy to have faith the manager will get it right, hes got a 2yr deal so theres plenty of time for him to show what he can do, I suspect he's not far away from getting his chance, but you couldn't argue if May/Kane now get a run as a partnership.

Mind he will have been limited as to what he could do until his visa was granted. It may be that he’s kept himself fit but there’s fit, then match fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else laugh at Wotherspoons rant before he got the ball in the build up for our second?

Love the boy but he’s so frustrated at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Rooney - Gordon - McCart

Dundee had no answer to it when Rooney stepped out with the ball today and I thought he picked his moments well.

Kane’s finish for the first is absolutely brilliant when you see it back. Beautiful strike.

Dundee looked like a Championship team today - and not necessarily a particularly good one - and it’s hard to see how just bringing Adam back in will turn things around. I’m sure he’ll add quality going forward but it’s a lot of weight on the shoulders of a guy who might struggle to stay fit all season. And I doubt he’s going to add much defensively.

Dendoncker was far better than I thought he might be and I was pleased by the contributions of Crawford and McPherson as well. When we get Gordon and Davidson back we have a lot of options in all areas of the park - something we’ve not always had over the past few years.

Rooney was being very vocal today, bossing the back 5, and not being eloquent about it.

Thought it right to play him in the back 3 with McCart missing. would have been criminal to start with Muller / Ambrose / Dendonker, who would have totalled about 10 appearances between them in the back 3 setup that is so enjoyed by Davivson.

Thought Rooney enjoyed the game and despite the stats on "whoscored", he won about 15 to 20 aerial battles he encountered today apart from 2 that Sheridan won against him in the 2nd half.

He was the leader at the back today when it really mattered.

The Dundee goal came from yet another setplay when Sweeney back pedalled away from Ambrose to get a free header. 

Middleton disappointing once more, Through with the keeper to beat and does not hit the target. An easy pass to set up Kane for a possible hat-trick and he plays it behind him. We do we now have the Hibs Middleton

23 minutes ago, Templar said:

Middleton disappointing once more, Through with the keeper to beat and does not hit the target. An easy pass to set up Kane for a possible hat-trick and he plays it behind him. We do we now have the Hibs Middleton

f**k off with this shite.

Every one of our strikers is capable of missing one on ones and the only time he could get it through to Kane, Kane decides to give him another angle. Middleton gives us something totally different up front, something the others aren't capable of and he's a fair bit younger than them all.