Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

37 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

He’s got something and Wright will know how to get the best out of him.

Not sure about that: maybe my memory has been poisoned by recollections of Adam Morgan and Rory Fallon, but I'm struggling to think of a Tommy Wright striker signing that he's got the best out of.

Don't make me point at the "Callum Hendrys 19/20 form was completely unsustainable and not a good indicator of his ability" sign again.

I don't think you can put too much credit on TW for playing a striker who was scoring with literally every touch he had. He generally struggled whenever he started games that season anyway, and the end of the season probably helped his myth as he'd probably have dipped in the next few games anyway.

He'll get a good run of form again and probably look good tbh, but you'd struggle to argue against letting him go now. You can't blame Davidson or his system when Hendry also consistently missed sitters for Aberdeen.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Jon Stewart Queue GIF

I think theres a genuine discussion to be had about our lack of goals and why Hendry went from a really promising option to one we're all happy to see leave for the tier below in 18 months, but I also don't think its fair to use his goal record in 19/20 as a water mark for his ability and then criticise Davidson for not getting him to match it. He scored 7 goals from 12 shots on target, it wasn't sustainable unless you think hes the best striker the leagues seen in the past decade.

Probably unfair but there was always talk he simply didn't take any advice in training on board and kept repeating the same errors, whereas someone like Kane is willing to take things on board and push himself to improve. I wouldn't be surprised if thats played a part in him stagnating at the club and also never earning the managers trust.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think theres a genuine discussion to be had about our lack of goals and why Hendry went from a really promising option to one we're all happy to see leave for the tier below in 18 months, but I also don't think its fair to use his goal record in 19/20 as a water mark for his ability and then criticise Davidson for not getting him to match it. He scored 7 goals from 12 shots on target, it wasn't sustainable unless you think hes the best striker the leagues seen in the past decade.

Probably unfair but there was always talk he simply didn't take any advice in training on board and kept repeating the same errors, whereas someone like Kane is willing to take things on board and push himself to improve. I wouldn't be surprised if thats played a part in him stagnating at the club and also never earning the managers trust.

He didn't have to continue that great ratio though really. Our top league scorer last season was Melamed on 5.  I'm not arguing with the decision to loan him out.. its obvious he's not Davidson's type of player, and for his own career he needs to be playing more regularly.

Whether his scoring rate was sustainable or not, he could still finish. I get the point that maybe he doesn't listen in training, I wouldn't know about that, but you can't argue with the fact that his form has gone of a cliff under Davidson.  The manager's job is to get the best out of his players, and in that summer pretty much every Saints fan on here was looking at Hendry as our great young hope, even up alongside McCann and Kerr etc.  For balance, compare Hendry with Kane's form, which has come on massively, not in terms of goalscoring, but in terms of contribution.

It might be the case that Hendry just wants to score goals, no bad thing in a striker, whereas Kane is happy to get 3-4 a season but do his bit for the team.  I think we are lacking that hungry-for-goals type of player, but unless he was prepared to burst himself closing down defenders, it's hard to see where one would fit into the present set up.

15 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Whether his scoring rate was sustainable or not, he could still finish.

Aye but that's my point. The clinical nature he was showing shouldn't be used as proof he's a good finisher. It was a small sample size considering the amount of actual minutes he's played.

He probably had more chances since that season, for us and Aberdeen, and fluffed most of them. So what's his actual "level"?

The short time he was massively clinical or the longer time where he wasn't?

Not saying much but he was the most successful of the the three loans Aberdeen took in to solve their striker crisis. 
Both Kamberi and Hornsby had bigger profiles.  He might not have scored much for them but you could see the potential there as well. 

To talk about a different striker, I thought not much stuck for Kane at Pittodrie or Dens but on Sunday, his defending from the front had to be admired...

Then I saw the stats in the article Eric Nicolson did about Ali Crawford (which I thought was a bit too effusive) and is he a big part of why we've lacked any real killer threat in the three games? 

crawford-passingacc.thumb.jpg.7dc97934c3ad4ed0d9231bfb761ff57e.jpg

I would start Vertainen on Saturday. If he doesn't play well then fine, you have two weeks to work with him on the training ground but at least you have a starting point.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

To talk about a different striker, I thought not much stuck for Kane at Pittodrie or Dens but on Sunday, his defending from the front had to be admired...

Then I saw the stats in the article Eric Nicolson did about Ali Crawford (which I thought was a bit too effusive) and is he a big part of why we've lacked any real killer threat in the three games? 

crawford-passingacc.thumb.jpg.7dc97934c3ad4ed0d9231bfb761ff57e.jpg

I would start Vertainen on Saturday. If he doesn't play well then fine, you have two weeks to work with him on the training ground but at least you have a starting point.

Zander should have at least 90% pass rate as he should be passing to his defenders But no he punts the ball up the right wing hoping for Rooney to win a header. That move has been unfruitful and the opposition are well aware of it

I was working the day of the Motherwell match, did the players bring the cups out for a walkabout and wave?  I think that game was ST holders only.

I missed out on the ballot for the fleetwood friendly when they brought the cups for the fans to see, but presumed there would be something done when we had more folk at a match.  

I know the club talked about doing something official, but would it have been too much to do after a league match, seems a missed opportunity now a couple of the key players are away.

20 minutes ago, Nelly78 said:

Gilmour away to Alloa on loan until January. Surely to f**k we've got a midfielder coming in, or we've left ourselves criminally short of options. 

Craig, Davidson, Bryson, MacPherson, Wotherspoon, Crawford.

6 senior midfielders isn't that bad is it?

IMO Gilmour is like Ballantyne really, he needs to be playing every week at this stage of his development. It doesn't help us or him to keep him at the club simply to boost numbers. 6 months of regular football, we take the risk with running a bit low on numbers, and he returns in January ready to go.

This is a fine move.for Gilmour as playing games is vital. I thought quite often on Sunday he was in the wrong place to pick up second balls etc... That's match sharpness in part. 

Soon be no bodies sitting in the stand on matchday. Just the way the chairman likes it. 

21 minutes ago, Radford said:

Soon be no bodies sitting in the stand on matchday. Just the way the chairman likes it. 

Was just thinking about our squad size, considering we're back to 7 subs.

Can argue about strongest line ups etc., but just as a not thought out example of a situation when everyone's fit...

Starters: Clark, Rooney, Ambrose, Gordon, McCart, Booth, Davidson, Bryson, Wotherspoon, Kane, MOH

Subs: Parish, Brown, Devine, Craig, MacPherson, Middleton, Vertainen

In the stand: Sinclair, Muller, Dendoncker, Crawford, May