Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Forget games in Glasgow or Edinburgh. United at Pittodrie or East End Park again. EEP would limit numbers obviously, but would be amazing and completely full. EEP vs Raith would be glorious. 

Pittodrie just for a change, plus they were the good guys re the go/no go for fans at the SC final last season.

If its Hibs, Celtic or Rangers, don't allow them to dictate the games to essentially become home game for them.

Whatever happens, will be another nice cheque for Saints as both semi gates receipts are pooled split 4 ways. Probably a minimum 50k over both games, so probably a good couple of hundred thousand from gates alone. 

Pittodrie is shite.

Why would anyone be surprised? Besides his eligibility being mentioned over the last 10-14 days or so, Malta is a complete melting pot of Maltese/Italian/British folk. They're getting better as well, Ta'Qali stadium is ok, even if it is in the middle of nowhere, good luck to the laddie.

Malta are going to be one of the minnows who’ll massively benefit from the nations league. Good chance of him making the euros certainly if they make the playoffs.

53 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

We should just start pinning Preston and Wigan teamsheets up as a reminder to McCart, Rooney and Clark etc

We could've said that for years but a player will always back themselves to succeed. Plus it's early days for these two.

6 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Is Eetu Vertainen a complete diddy, do we reckon? Or is Callum Davidson just doing his usual in terms of overseas signings?

If he doesn't trust you then you won't be starting, earn his trust by either having experience, or performing. I disagreed with his lack of Melamed use last season, and I'm disagreeing with his lack of Vertainen use this season, but ultimately if Vertainen is good enough then he will break through eventually.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If he doesn't trust you then you won't be starting, earn his trust by either having experience, or performing. I disagreed with his lack of Melamed use last season, and I'm disagreeing with his lack of Vertainen use this season, but ultimately if Vertainen is good enough then he will break through eventually.

It's such a bizarre stance to take. Obviously CD has my complete trust but I don't get this one.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I agree that this is probably his thinking, but does he really trust his 'experienced' strikers to score goals? You'd assume, after a full season of seeing our lack of potency in front of goal, that Callum wouldn't suddenly think that the exact same pool of strikers are suddenly going to come up with the goods. I really don't think there's anything to lose by giving Eetu a shot. I agree with you about his use of Melamed last season, and I'm surprised he hasn't learned from that.

No issues with E2 being gradually introduced. Got to remember that he sat isolating for almost 3 weeks with no competitive football for 4. Appreciate that he had been playing, but easing him in is probably for the best. I suspect we’ll see more of him after the international break. 

2 hours ago, The Saintee said:

It's such a bizarre stance to take. Obviously CD has my complete trust but I don't get this one.

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

I agree that this is probably his thinking, but does he really trust his 'experienced' strikers to score goals? You'd assume, after a full season of seeing our lack of potency in front of goal, that Callum wouldn't suddenly think that the exact same pool of strikers are suddenly going to come up with the goods. I really don't think there's anything to lose by giving Eetu a shot. I agree with you about his use of Melamed last season, and I'm surprised he hasn't learned from that.

I'm just guessing as obviously no idea on his thoughts, but just feels like he only starts players he trusts to perform in his system as it does rely on everyone knowing their jobs. Maybe has them doing specific parts in training that can prove they know it and Vertainen isn't quite there yet, so hes worried that one weak link would leave us exposed?

Feels a pretty negative mindset maybe but our success is generally built on being solid.

He'll get his chance in the next few games I reckon, probably when the CM situation has calmed down and we've got a sort of "base" in there, and it'll be up to him to take it. Plenty of attacking options in the squad to try and find a pairing out of, wouldn't be surprised to see both MOH and Middleton on the bench next week.