Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

On 20/09/2021 at 11:33, PauloPerth said:

Had a look at results since the start of January when we finally sorted our way of playing...

Was it that or was it the introduction of Melamed and Rooney?

I'm not sure the style has changed that much, we just had more effective players.

The form away from McDiarmid since Xmas is incredible though, just 2 defeats in 21 games, one at Ibrox (a narrow 1-0) and one at Celtic Park (when we were ravaged with Covid).

If you take the last 14 away games (excluding the outing for the reserves at Celtic), how many goals do you think we've conceded from open play in 90 minutes? 

Answer is just two! Ross Callachan's worldy at Accies and the Galatasaray goal, when we make a slight mistake.

You cannot blame the team if Kerr looked panicky and not settled. He has played in important games captained St Johnstone and was outstanding let's hope it is a one of. If that was his audition to play regularly, he may have to wait a few weeks before he gets his next chance

48 minutes ago, Radford said:

I'm not sure the style has changed that much, we just had more effective players.

The form away from McDiarmid since Xmas is incredible though, just 2 defeats in 21 games, one at Ibrox (a narrow 1-0) and one at Celtic Park (when we were ravaged with Covid).

If you take the last 14 away games (excluding the outing for the reserves at Celtic), how many goals do you think we've conceded from open play in 90 minutes? 

Answer is just two! Ross Callachan's worldy at Accies and the Galatasaray goal, when we make a slight mistake.

I think saints fans have been saying it for a few seasons now, we're just a much better team away from home. Not that I think that's unusual in this league, as clearly a few teams suffer when asked to dictate the play and make something happen. The majority of the teams in this league, including saints would rather play on the break and nick goals here and there. That's not to say we cant dominate games, last season home games against St Mirren, Ross County, Hamilton, etc. we were the better dominant team for 95% of the match it was just the finishing that let us down. 

The addition of Rooney helped change our season last year. I like Danny Mac and he was an excellent full back, but he didn't possess the threat of Rooney. He came in and suddenly teams had to change the way they played to stop him, leaving the left hand side free and low and behold Spoony came in to his own. Subtle tweaks, but highly effective ones. If you look at this season and Rooney's average position, he's basically playing as a right midfielder, which plays into his strengths entirely and whilst teams have cottoned on to him, much like the "Spoony Chop" when Rooney does get running he's incredibly difficult to stop. Just wish he'd get in at the back post more and that we'd occasionally simply chuck a deep ball in there to try and mix things up. Assuming we get bodies in the box, he doesn't even need to win it to create something. 

4 hours ago, Radford said:

I was lazily describing it as sorting our way of playing, but i think it was possibly a bit of everything.  Not feeling we had to play 5-2-3 and going 5-3-2 in some matches, the impact of Rooney and Guy as you say, finally sorting out our defence - once the clean sheets started the wins came not long after, and also maybe we started getting a few more  breaks?

The 3-2 comeback win at rugby park and the semi final win over Hibs were probably massive confidence boosters for the rest of the season.

That defensive record you highlight is incredible. I think that's why the nature of Saturday's win at Pittodrie was so important, getting back to our identity of clean sheets and being so hard to break down gives the newer players confidence and belief in the system.

Felt for a while that us struggling on with Stevie May right up top as a centre forward is doing nothing for him or us.

He’s not brave, quick or good in the air. But drop him off the front and get him on the ball and his touch and vision are obvious to see. He’s an intelligent player who will find pockets of space and link up play between midfield and forwards.

He looks better with Kane in there to do the physical work and take the hits.

Not easy to fit him in in that role, but when we play him we’ve got to play to his strengths.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

Noticed a lot of folk saying we are going to Hampden again - would this be the case if we drew Dundee United, Hibs or even Raith in the next round? I would like to think that we would play the game at Tynecastle instead. Hampden = shitehole

I think since the new format of the competition was introduced (the group stage) the semi finals are contractually obliged to be at Hampden. 

Yeah f**k playing it at Tynecastle, the atmosphere with Aberdeen there won them the game last time, and Hibs would have 3 stands too.

Understand for folk like @jamamafegan the "atmosphere" is more important than the result, so seeing 3 stands singing Sunshine on Leith as they batter into their 2nd would be a great day out, but Hampden would give us more chance of winning.

Yeah f**k playing it at Tynecastle, the atmosphere with Aberdeen there won them the game last time, and Hibs would have 3 stands too.
Understand for folk like [mention=19616]jamamafegan[/mention] the "atmosphere" is more important than the result, so seeing 3 stands singing Sunshine on Leith as they batter into their 2nd would be a great day out, but Hampden would give us more chance of winning.

Are you not one of the folk who defends Saints giving 3 stands to the Old Firm at McDiarmid?

3 stands of SOL = bad
3 stands of bigoted sectarian bile = sound

Hampden semis are pish, the only reason we’ve enjoyed them recently is because we won and we weren’t there! Would much rather face Dundee United at a sold out Tynecastle or Raith at a sold out East End Park than a half empty Hampden any day.

The last 3 semi finals at Tynecastle we’ve been thrown behind the goal with Aberdeen and Hibs able to dictate their ticket sales.

Remember the last v Hibs when we sold out sharpish and were told we’d be given extra tickets, only for the SFA to change their mind?

Get it as neutral as possible and if that means playing in a half empty Hampden so fucking be it.

Forget games in Glasgow or Edinburgh. United at Pittodrie or East End Park again. EEP would limit numbers obviously, but would be amazing and completely full. EEP vs Raith would be glorious. 

Pittodrie just for a change, plus they were the good guys re the go/no go for fans at the SC final last season.

If its Hibs, Celtic or Rangers, don't allow them to dictate the games to essentially become home game for them.

Whatever happens, will be another nice cheque for Saints as both semi gates receipts are pooled split 4 ways. Probably a minimum 50k over both games, so probably a good couple of hundred thousand from gates alone.