Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Radford said:

A few weeks ago, the manager definitely said something along the lines of there being tonnes of good players the club were interested in. 

So I look forward to them delivering some of them tomorrow... 

I mean, they've surely been doing something since May to try and boost our attacking options? 

He’s also said several times over the last month that hard work was going on behind the scenes. 

The Head of Recruitment needs to be given an opportunity and tomorrow certainly won't be a reflection on (just) him. Club will need to buy into him over the long-term as I'm sure he'll be assessing the squad as a whole.

The manager has been over a year in the job and hasn't, IMO, made a single permanent signing of real calibre, by that I mean a Watt, Kennedy, Wright type signing. You can never guarantee a signing will work out but one that excites you. It was understandable this time last year, not so much this time round. 

35 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

landscape tumbleweed GIFSo far this must be one of our poorest transfer windows for a long time

19 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Head of recruitment at St.Johnstone, the most redundant role in Scottish football 

22 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

He’s also said several times over the last month that hard work was going on behind the scenes. 

All in half an hour and well before the window closes, some fucking boy.

Vertainen and a wee surprise, maybe even two.

This is along with the cover brought in in defence. Not too bad a window imo. If we keep all the players rumoured to be leaving then I think we've done alright.

We could do without the injuries to Gilmour and Bryson but these things happen.

15 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Head of recruitment at St.Johnstone, the most redundant role in Scottish football 

He's been in place a month. I'd be more prone to question those at the club who have had a year to plan for this window and combined managed to attract a back up loanee we had last season, a loanee from our managers former club, then yet another loanee.

January window ended 7 months ago and we didn't manage to secure a single PCA signing. The transfers under Davidson so far are digging us a hole further down the line. Since TW secured McCart and Rooney 18 months ago we've not made a single permanent signing who is a long term signing who can contribute straight away.

Bryson/Conway should only have been Covid stop gaps. Melamed was a total punt who was never staying beyond the season. Does anyone expect Brown to ever be a regular starter through choice? Gilmour probably the closest to it, but hes been here 6 months now and played about 100 minutes.

10 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

This is along with the cover brought in in defence. Not too bad a window imo. If we keep all the players rumoured to be leaving then I think we've done alright.

We’re 28 hours from the window closing and have made 1 permanent signing, a back up right back who is not good enough to play in our system. Also none of the assets have signed new deals so exactly what hard work is going on in the background? 

I'm more annoyed at how long the club takes to upload match replays these days tbh, you're lucky if they're up within 2 days...

Save all our business until the last 10 minutes of deadline day please, nothing more exciting.

7 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

We’re 28 hours from the window closing and have made 1 permanent signing, a back up right back who is not good enough to play in our system. Also none of the assets have signed new deals so exactly what hard work is going on in the background? 

Limited number of staff doing multiple roles to get us through the European games, dealing with Visas etc for Vertainen (who has agreed a deal by the way) that they haven't had to do before,  giving better offers for these assets you're on about. Then identifying who's available out of the managers chosen list as well as offering alternatives. If it is the same in two days time then fire in but to slag them of and moan before the window shuts just makes you look like a twat.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Limited number of staff doing multiple roles to get us through the European games, dealing with Visas etc for Vertainen (who has agreed a deal by the way) that they haven't had to do before,  giving better offers for these assets you're on about. Then identifying who's available out of the managers chosen list as well as offering alternatives. If it is the same in two days time then fire in but to slag them of and moan before the window shuts just makes you look like a twat.

I am a twat! And by the looks of things I’m not the only one who isn’t happy with how the club have handled this window so far 

Hard to disagree with this too much. Reading a lot of the comments here and elsewhere over the last week and I guess a lot of the frustration has come from frustration about last Thursday.

Squad is similar to where we were at the end of last season. Middleton and Brown back. Conway, who didn't play an awful lot towards the end of the season, replaced by Vertainen, and Hendry back replacing Melamed. Clearly Hendry is a downgrade at the moment but it wasn't Davidson that gave him the contract and it looks like that position is the focus tomorrow. Muller adds a little bit of cover at the back. Devine in for Tanser is a bit of a question mark - I preferred Tanser to Booth but I know I'm in a minority there - but hopefully no real drop in quality.

If we hold on to all our players, it becomes a question of what people expected. The same weaknesses are there. It was a small squad last year, which I moaned about a couple of times, but clearly coped. There's going to be spells where you have injuries like Bryson and Gilmour and suddenly you aren't left with many options. If we got to group stages, I'd expected 3-4 new signings but I'm not surprised not to see this now as much as I'd like it.

That said, the loss of any of the four without a replacement, particularly if one was one of the defenders, I'd be really disappointed. Hope tomorrow brings Sandaza type striker, maybe more defensive cover and replacements for any that leave. I won't lose my shit if little happens though.

45 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

I am a twat! And by the looks of things I’m not the only one who isn’t happy with how the club have handled this window so far 

Twat sounds harsh. 

The most frustrating/perplexing thing from this window (so far) is the lack of goal threat was no surprise to anyone. Why didn't we do something to try and sort that BEFORE the season started, maybe even before last season even ended? 

We also had some big games where a squad was needed and we went into those with a smaller squad than even last season.

Players we've brought in will hopefully do alright but jury is out on them as a few games isn't enough to pass complete judgement. 

One other thing actually from the summer. MOH getting a 2 year deal. He's did alright in the two away legs in Europe in moments but struggling to understand what he done to deserve a new deal never mind 2 years. Far to often he's been basically useless.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

There was talk before the LASK game that we were negotiating with half a dozen players, responses suggested that this was about existing players extending. Nothing seems to have happened on that front, wonder if it was a case of get through sign ABC, get knocked out sign DEF? Not seen much action that side either, but if new players then a few days to finalise things. Hopefully announcements tomorrow!