Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

17 minutes ago, akuram said:

When are we going to get our goal scoring sorted?

Its been obvious for a long time we need a big striker who doesn't need to be anything but has the ability to shoot on sight and actually get the shot somewhere in between the goals.

How many chances in the box did Hendry or May actually get today?

We don't create anything for the strikers.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Linzer tried out 343 today, not sure if it's their regular system, they tweaked it a couple of times throughout the match seemingly. 

Yeah that's their usual set up.

36 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Kane rested, injured or suspended today?

Back for Thursday the manager says but Wotherspoon's isolation won't be up. Should maybe get Brendan Rodgers to take a look at him and tell us if he's been in contact with the contagious version. 

A striker won’t solve all our problems if we play like today.

We’ve totally changed from passing the ball around comfortably on the flanks etc and not creating enough, to punting it from back to front and creating even less. 

We also look more likely to give away an easy goal and are collectively more hesitant when we do get a chance in front of goal than ever. How many times did we dither and let their defenders get blocks in?

And the tactically aware manager puts big Rooney up front for a fair portion of the game. Wtf was that?

If LASK had anyone watching that they won’t believe their luck they’ve to play us on Thursday. 

Note - these are observations from today’s game only. Hope it was a one-off cos it’s given me the fitba depression. ☹️

Edited by Sh*teAndMuck

On LASK, and I know nobody will believe me now, but the boy who scored today for them (Mischorl) is their man guy in the middle of the park based on numbers.

Looks like if we can somehow take him out the game then we'd stand a good chance of stunting them. Goiginger seems their most dangerous attacker.

They've also lost their best CB from last season as he was only on loan, so have shunted their RCB into the middle CB position.

The number of goals we are conceding is also worrying 

1 against Motherwell

5 against Galatasaray over 2 legs

2 against Arbroath.

What doesn’t concern me is the goals conceded, Galatasaray were there for the taking but we’re clinical and able to step up when needed.

1 against Motherwell was a lack of concentration but the game should’ve been dead and buried by then.

Whilst I didn’t catch today’s game I know we should’ve ended it. Whilst last season we knew one goal would end games for us we now need to be stepping up and finishing ties off.

There’s still 34 league matches to go. We’ll be fine.

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

Both goals conceded today were really, really poor - especially the first one. Not like us 

Both from corners too, I'm sure.

Defence never feels as secure when Gordon isn't there. 

I've got a really bad feeling about LASK. We're great against teams who we can force into wider positions and offering no space inside, but they just look direct and much more physical/fast than our defenders so we might not get a chance for the back three to be settled and organised.

Not a chance Liam Craig can start this one, we can't afford to cheaply give the ball away and then have no pace to get back in to cover

7 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Who do we play instead? Wotherspoon’s absence isn’t ideal just now.

I think you've got to play Middleton where Spoony would play. I'd even be tempted to play the middle 3 and let him roam behind Kane and pick the ball up. 

The one thing about Middleton is his turn and attack mentality. He's always looking to drive forward and him and Kane would hopefully win freekicks and take the pressure off the defence. If you're worried about being hit on the break, then let the wingbacks stay narrow and deep as well, limit space and hope to counter.

13 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Ah, good evening, Mr Hindsight. Do come in, make yourself comfortable.

Ah good morning Mr Heliums. the reason I asked the question was we never rested players for cups games last season. I am aware there is an important game coming up on Thursday.