Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I really hope we’re looking at another striker and hopefully getting rid of Callum Hendry. If we end the window with Kane May and Hendry as our only strikers then I think we’re going to have the exact same problems as last season. Surely Callum can see that. 

I think Hendry is done but it'll be getting someone to take him on. I guess you'd wonder if Tommy Wright might. 

Fitzpatrick would be fine as a Gilmour type signing if the budget is there but if the manager feels he needs another attacking option, I'd like it to be someone proven/with a bit of experience. Surely not too much to ask. At this stage of the window though...

1 minute ago, Radford said:

I think Hendry is done but it'll be getting someone to take him on. I guess you'd wonder if Tommy Wright might. 

Fitzpatrick would be fine as a Gilmour type signing if the budget is there but if the manager feels he needs another attacking option, I'd like it to be someone proven/with a bit of experience. Surely not too much to ask. At this stage of the window though...

Was just about to suggest the same thing after seeing this earlier...

If we are cashing in on Rooney, we’re going to need someone to replace him.

Early days for James Jason Brown, he’s not had a lot of first team football and will hopefully improve,  but I’ve rarely seen him pass the ball to a teammate.  

He might be reliable defensively, but I don’t see him bringing a lot to us going forward.

He’s nowhere near ready to be our regular starter.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

I noticed he was on loan, Callum seems to have gotten the most out of Rooney who was deemed shite by all by Caley fans so I’d hope he’d be able to sort him out.

Just need these fucking work permit issues sorted for Vertainain now.

What’s the issue? Are we going to have this boy signed anytime soon? Was hoping to see him at Arbroath! 

I've actually forgotten about this from last night until now, there was a moment at 3-1, we got a break of the ball in the midfield and some tried to slip Hendry in behind. He just stood there, didn't offer short, didn't try to get in behind, just stood and sort of laughed at whoever tried to play the ball when they went nuts at him (Want to say Muzz but can't be sure) before just standing still on the spot as they brought it out of defence and the Gala player was able to take all the time he needed to knock it into an attacking area again

4 hours ago, mizfit said:

Been collecting my thoughts over the day. I know we still have one last chance at group stage football, but bloody hell. When we got promoted in 2009 I would never have been able to imagine what’s occurred since.

2012 I thought would be a one off return to Europe, aye we lost but f**k me we pushed them.

I’ve full confidence in this side, and when we do inevitably shrink away again well have these memories forever.

Might be an age thing but was expecting to read  “when we got promotion in” ……1990

At that stage we were still a part time team and only a few years before were the third worst team in Scotland. 

The day we played Airdrie that season felt like the birth of the modern team that we see today …

What a journey!

I've actually forgotten about this from last night until now, there was a moment at 3-1, we got a break of the ball in the midfield and some tried to slip Hendry in behind. He just stood there, didn't offer short, didn't try to get in behind, just stood and sort of laughed at whoever tried to play the ball when they went nuts at him (Want to say Muzz but can't be sure) before just standing still on the spot as they brought it out of defence and the Gala player was able to take all the time he needed to knock it into an attacking area again
Yeah he looked completely lost at that one.

1 hour ago, steviemay17 said:

Hendry can get as far to f**k from this side as possible, offers f**k all and doesn't seem to want to change that. 

26 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

East Stand linesman last night. Rubbish. 

Missed at least 3 May offsides as he was well behind the play. 

Disagree with you there. Not about the linesman, who was honking by any standard. But I thought May was springing the offside trap really well. 

20 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Hendry can get as far to f**k from this side as possible, offers f**k all and doesn't seem to want to change that. 

He was actually summed up nicely in this moment and just after he came on, produced a really nice touch and turn to get past the Gala player, but then just had absolutely nothing to make it count

22 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Disagree with you there. Not about the linesman, who was honking by any standard. But I thought May was springing the offside trap really well. 

Was in line and he was yards off more than once. 

Those around me also said the same. 

One in particular he missed was miles.

Fitz.thumb.png.b5b20df8c1ca59a6ea13683f98f02a6e.png

FWIW, Fitzpatrick against the Championship last season. Seems, based on his profile/position/foot, that his strength was cutting in off the left and shooting, then on the odd occasion trying to play a decisive pass. Probably struggled to contribute much when played on the right.

Young players maybe deserve more leeway in these things than others though, been pondering how to "age adjust" these things to account for that.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fitz.thumb.png.b5b20df8c1ca59a6ea13683f98f02a6e.png

FWIW, Fitzpatrick against the Championship last season. Seems, based on his profile/position/foot, that his strength was cutting in off the left and shooting, then on the odd occasion trying to play a decisive pass. Probably struggled to contribute much when played on the right.

Young players maybe deserve more leeway in these things than others though, been pondering how to "age adjust" these things to account for that.

There is definitely a player in there. See 4:45 in this video for what he is capable of.

The real issue is application. If Davidson can drag that out of him, then it might be a great move. I'm just not convinced it exists, though.

Maybe Norwich punting him is the kick up the arse that he needs.

7 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

There is definitely a player in there. See 4:45 in this video for what he is capable of.

The real issue is application. If Davidson can drag that out of him, then it might be a great move. I'm just not convinced it exists, though.

He would be expected to step up by everyone. We need a player who would be happy to start as basically a bit part player with a view to improving himself into a first team player. It's minimal risk for Saints, give a young player with potential a chance and if he doesn't take it? Off you pop son.

8 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Yeah it's hard to get it right with these players. A lot seem to go down this route then find themselves at a crossroads. Some realise their situation, change their mindset and start fulfilling their potential, others just continue to waste it and never play at as high a level as they should.

A funny thing that I've no opinion on this one, for a change. Happy to see what Davidson decides on it as it'll potentially be stuff that happens when he's not got a ball at his feet that decides what we do with him.