Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 hours ago, Radford said:

All European players now need a work permit, since we are an insular and backwards little island. Saints can't stick him with a scarf above the head until that is sorted. They would have wanted to get him across here though to start the quarantine and just risk it that the permit will be approved.

If it's any sort of frame of reference the Finnish boy we just announced yesterday was first reported to have been over here from Denmark on 15th July.

The suggestion was that it was a done deal last week around the Airdrie game and apparently he's had a period of isolation and us waiting on his work permit before announcing him yesterday.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

They'll be back. 

Attempted hardball...

They seem to think by clubs in Scotland not accepting their first offer(s) the clubs and players will forever regret turning down Rotherham.

Glad to see a fair few of our clubs telling them to bolt. Extra money aside, I doubt any of the players mentioned are at home greeting about not getting their dream move there!

As an aside re the work permits. I wonder if as the transfer window end gets closer, clubs down there will look north and maybe panic a bit and pay over the odds? They dont want to be signing a player on deadline day and then have to wait a few weeks for isolation and permits to be sorted.

5 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

They seem to think by clubs in Scotland not accepting their first offer(s) the clubs and players will forever regret turning down Rotherham.

Glad to see a fair few of our clubs telling them to bolt. Extra money aside, I doubt any of the players mentioned are at home greeting about not getting their dream move there!

As an aside re the work permits. I wonder if as the transfer window end gets closer, clubs down there will look north and maybe panic a bit and pay over the odds? They dont want to be signing a player on deadline day and then have to wait a few weeks for isolation and permits to be sorted.

Just wait for a team (such as a Rotherham) to lose their first couple of games, panic and bring in 3 or 4 new players. 

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

Just wait for a team (such as a Rotherham) to lose their first couple of games, panic and bring in 3 or 4 new players. 

Oh there will be loads like that. I'm waiting on the first couple of managers to get the sack and blame it on not being able to get players from the EU or that the ones they have signed were stuck in quarantine for too long.

I hope when these clubs come calling, we tell them to get or else pay significantly more than they would have to have earlier in the summer. Get to the group stages and later into August for example and McCann's value is much higher than it would be if someone were to buy him today. 

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

If it's any sort of frame of reference the Finnish boy we just announced yesterday was first reported to have been over here from Denmark on 15th July.

The suggestion was that it was a done deal last week around the Airdrie game and apparently he's had a period of isolation and us waiting on his work permit before announcing him yesterday.

Yeah, I don't think it's practical at the moment if you agree terms with a player to go through whole work permit process (which may well involve an appeal) and then start the quarantine.

Just have to take a gamble. 

34 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Outside of Anderlecht, Trnava anc Tel-Aviv I don’t know much about the rest of them.

Lask have done reasonably well in the Europa the last few seasons. 19/20 they won their group which contained Sporting, PSV & Rosenberg. Beat AZ in last 32 before getting a bit of a doing from Man United in the last 16. You may remember that one from right before the football stoppage for covid. Finished 3rd in Spurs group last season though with 10 points - decent return and unlucky not go go through.

You'd expect it to be between them Rennes (obviously), Lask, Tel-Aviv & Anderlecht but we'll soon find out!

Might be only something Anderlecht need to worry about.

If memory serves correctly, do Rennes not spend quite a bit of money now and are a very decent team? Pretty sure they’ve got Doku, who looked really good in the Euros for Belgium, and a young lad Camavinga in central midfield. Although, sure the latter is touted for a big move so might not be there by the time the ties come around. 

Vaguely remember there being a bit of panic from Celtic fans when they were drawn in the same Europa group.