Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I’d agree it’s not a signing I’d expect us to make. Certainly not under Wright. If we can sign him for a decent wage then we’re laughing. I don’t think he’d flop.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Am I? I'm just surprised that you'd be willing to potentially pay £5k+ (what we apparently give Adam through local businesses) and it's a figure that's made us balk which is very unlike us!

There's absolutely no chance we're paying anywhere near that amount. If you're lucky it'll be half.

Presumably Dundees aren't able to offer two players huge money via "benefactors", so you'll be spending as a newly promoted side, lack of fans at games might stunted your budget this Summer?

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's absolutely no chance we're paying anywhere near that amount. If you're lucky it'll be half.

Presumably Dundees aren't able to offer two players huge money via "benefactors", so you'll be spending as a newly promoted side, lack of fans at games might stunted your budget this Summer?

The Marrs and Kilmac have in the past admitted they'd be willing to fund a deal if it was the 'right quality' which would be outwith our budget.

Either they don't see Stewart as that or that's the sort of money you'll be throwing at him. I can't see it being the former tbh.

He'd pay for himself if your £3m figure is correct so not outwith the realms of possibility.

Edited by Ludo*1

12 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

I've counted three separate occurances of Antti Niemi chat across social media.

Even allowing that one was from the saints banter page, I would have liked to think we are better than that.

I expect to read it on every other post from the ‘banter’ page

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The Marrs and Kilmac have in the past admitted they'd be willing to fund a deal if it was the 'right quality' which would be outwith our budget.

Go ask them why they're not willing to spend on him then. 

There is no chance we're offering Stewart quarter of a million a year, the idea is just ridiculous. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Go ask them why they're not willing to spend on him then. 

There is no chance we're offering Stewart quarter of a million a year, the idea is just ridiculous. 

I've replied to you in the other thread since we are having the same conversation in multiple places.

If Stewart apparently wants a decent wedge, then saints won’t get him. However, if he realises he’s already made a lot of money, wants a secure income in a stable workplace for the next couple of years and probably not have to relocate then we might have a chance. Even just the lure of European football might entice him, although I’d doubt it. I’m not against the signing of it comes of, has shades of Swanson the third time written all over it, but we’ll see. He’s got to be quicker than Conway that’s for sure, who he’d effectively be replacing. 

Just now, Widge said:

If Stewart apparently wants a decent wedge, then saints won’t get him. However, if he realises he’s already made a lot of money, wants a secure income in a stable workplace for the next couple of years and probably not have to relocate then we might have a chance. Even just the lure of European football might entice him, although I’d doubt it. I’m not against the signing of it comes of, has shades of Swanson the third time written all over it, but we’ll see. He’s got to be quicker than Conway that’s for sure, who he’d effectively be replacing. 

Stewart never had pace. He's just all out skill and bewilderment. Goes past players like they're not on the pitch. 

Away from the financials, are you willing to build your whole midfield and wing backs round him? It's the reason he was a success at us (and I assume Killie) and the reason he wasn't so effective for Aberdeen and Rangers IMO. If you are, then you've got some fucking player on your hands.

I'd assume he'd play on the right of our front three, and be allowed to float centrally. If Kane plays he'll do the grafting.

Scenes if Vertainen is class though. 6ft2 and quick.

A front three of Wotherspoon, Vertainen and Stewart should create plenty of chances.

26 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Stewart never had pace. He's just all out skill and bewilderment. Goes past players like they're not on the pitch. 

Away from the financials, are you willing to build your whole midfield and wing backs round him? It's the reason he was a success at us (and I assume Killie) and the reason he wasn't so effective for Aberdeen and Rangers IMO. If you are, then you've got some fucking player on your hands.

We already play with a not quick, ghosting past players, cutting inside, maverick on the left hand side so we already do have a team set up to do that. Don’t think adding Stewart would change the way we’d play, he’d just need to learn where to position himself defensively to block off passing lanes and that’s all he’d really need to do defensively since he’d hopefully have Shaun Rooney on that side bodying everyone. He’d be allowed to cut inside as much as he’d like too. 

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

We already play with a not quick, ghosting past players, cutting inside, maverick on the left hand side so we already do have a team set up to do that. Don’t think adding Stewart would change the way we’d play, he’d just need to learn where to position himself defensively to block off passing lanes and that’s all he’d really need to do defensively since he’d hopefully have Shaun Rooney on that side bodying everyone. He’d be allowed to cut inside as much as he’d like too. 

Scrap anything defensively, because he just can't (or won't) do it. He completely hung Paul McGinn out to dry during his spell with us, but it was worth it for the offense he provided.

Sounds like he's a ready made fit if that's the case.

Here’s another question. How fit is he going to be? He was never the most athletic player and if he’s done a Swanson and put on the pounds might take him a while to get up to speed!

35 minutes ago, Widge said:

Thats not Greg Stewart. 

He hung on for dear life to the end of both his Birmingham & Rangers deals to get every penny he could. Can't see that changing!

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Scrap anything defensively, because he just can't (or won't) do it. He completely hung Paul McGinn out to dry during his spell with us, but it was worth it for the offense he provided.

Sounds like he's a ready made fit if that's the case.

McCann plays as our right sided CM too, FWIW, and he does the work of two men.

Clark

Kerr - Gordon - McCart

Rooney - McCann - Craig - Booth

Stewart - Vertainen - Wotherspoon

We're winning the fucking league.

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Thats not Greg Stewart. 

He hung on for dear life to the end of both his Birmingham & Rangers deals to get every penny he could. Can't see that changing!

Yeah, he came into the full time game late. Received his first full time contract from us at 24 and has rightfully chased the money ahead of glory ever since. Just look at the way he shafted Killie for Aberdeen.