Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I honestly believe saints wouldn’t sell our players to others in the league even if the offer was too good to be true. Not a chance Hibs are coming in with a £400/500k for McCart and even then I think saints would rather just hold on and lose him for nothing at the end of the season. As for Kerr, he ain’t going to Hibs for the same reason and the fact that he’s wanted by bigger teams down south.  

We won’t pay what St Johnstone want for any of these players surely? Double cup winning heroes can’t be going for any less than 500k, at a minimum. Especially to a team in the same division.

11 minutes ago, Zing. said:

We won’t pay what St Johnstone want for any of these players surely? Double cup winning heroes can’t be going for any less than 500k, at a minimum. Especially to a team in the same division.

Exactly. No offence to Hibs, but all of our current players have literally achieved all there is to do in Scotland. A move to Hibs isn’t going to change that, bar a little extra cash. Cash which they’ll find in greater supply down south, plus there’s the chance to win new competitions and leagues. Any player moving from saints to Hibs right now doesn’t have much ambition, which is quite a nice thing to say given Hibs finished third and are a bigger team. 

11 minutes ago, Widge said:

Exactly. No offence to Hibs, but all of our current players have literally achieved all there is to do in Scotland. A move to Hibs isn’t going to change that, bar a little extra cash. Cash which they’ll find in greater supply down south, plus there’s the chance to win new competitions and leagues. Any player moving from saints to Hibs right now doesn’t have much ambition, which is quite a nice thing to say given Hibs finished third and are a bigger team. 

Pretty much how I see it, unfortunately for us. 

38 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

My info isn't from the newspapers 😉

Tbf to us, ITK Hibs fans have been claiming he's signing for you lot for years. Bournemouth were linked last week, if that's true then its a no brainer for him.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf to us, ITK Hibs fans have been claiming he's signing for you lot for years. Bournemouth were linked last week, if that's true then its a no brainer for him.

Oh, thats not at all what I am saying - a few pages back I mentioned that I felt he would go down south. Just passing on what I had heard.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was saying similar to mates. It Bournemouth rumour is true and they come in that sounds like a good move for him. 

If he continues to improve while there and a good couple of seasons performance at that level then a bigger move comes. Potential of course they could get promoted themselves of course. Do wonder if that interest might change due to their change in manager though. 

It's no disrespect to Hibs but he's won all he can here. Chance to start earning that life changing money and a new challenge in a "big" league.

Genuinely believe that the reason Hibs interest has cooled is because he's not that interested either. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

4 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Oh, thats not at all what I am saying - a few pages back I mentioned that I felt he would go down south. Just passing on what I had heard.

Yeah sorry, wasn't having a go at you, its just Saints fans are understandably cynical when Hibs fans go all nudge nudge wink wink around Kerr.

I don't have much fear of Kerr, McCart or Rooney moving to a Scottish side tbh. They're all young enough that they'll want to challenge themselves down South and see where that goes, with the knowledge their stock is high enough up here that they can scuttle back to a Hibs sized club if it doesn't work out.

There's clearly English interest in all 3 so I'm not sure what Hibs can actually offer them to tempt them.

10 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

I just hope there is active work behind the scenes to squeeze another year out of them or at least protect and enhance transfer value.

I always question the appeal European football really has on players at Saints. Especially when it's 103 rounds of qualifiers but it seems a few of them are keen to be involved in that. Potentially because of the effort put into last season to earn it, they maybe see the job isn't quite done yet. 

Well at least that's what the players are saying when asked about it anyway so there's potential that could happen. Seen someone explain Saints tried as far back as Jan to open negotiations with some but agents less keen.

I hope all of course sign a new deal but I'm not naive enough to believe that'll happen but hopefully at least a few of them do as like others have said we can't lose them all at once. Whether that's this summer or next. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

32 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I always question the appeal European football really has on players at Saints. Especially when it's 103 rounds of qualifiers but it seems a few of them are keen to be involved in that. Potentially because of the effort put into last season to earn it, they maybe see the job isn't quite done yet. 

Well at least that's what the players are saying when asked about it anyway so there's potential that could happen. Seen someone explain Saints tried as far back as Jan to open negotiations with some but agents less keen.

I hope all of course sign a new deal but I'm not naive enough to believe that'll happen but hopefully at least a few of them do as like others have said we can't lose them all at once. Whether that's this summer or next. 

To put this into context Alan Burrows was on the MFC Podcast the other week explaining that Motherwell opened negotiations with Allan Campbell about a new contract 20 months ago and were still putting offers on the table this summer. Apparently the final contract we put to him would have been "up there as one of the best that the club has made in the past 20 years or so" (clearly we had to have an offer there to protect our development compensation but still....).

Edited by capt_oats

Unless you're after a bit more cash, St Johnstone to Hibs is a sidewards step at best. Old Firm or down south is where the greater opportunities lie for these players.

FTOF. I’d much rather see our players go to England than move to either of the Old Firm, I can’t stand it when they poach good Scottish talent off of fellow top flight clubs.

19 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

FTOF. I’d much rather see our players go to England than move to either of the Old Firm, I can’t stand it when they poach good Scottish talent off of fellow top flight clubs.

I agree, however sometimes it is unavoidable. There's no denying that the OF is a step up from anyone else in the league, but as you say, you'd much prefer to see them go down south with the money and resource they have at their disposal, rather than play against you in future.