Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I’ve reflected on it and I actually think £500k for Rooney would represent a good deal for saints. Baring in mind we signed him for nothing and he’s got a year left on his deal. He’s won us 2 cups with his goals and generally become a cult hero. However, his game still has deficiencies. His defending whilst getting better is still not the best, I don’t think he’s capable of playing in a flat 4 and you can’t help but think teams would start to try and negate him in matches from next season. I appreciate that he’s a threat and a bit of a man mountain, but he’s by no means irreplaceable as a position. Probably as a player he is, in a like for like sense. 

This is by no means me saying I want rid of him, far from it. I’d love the big mental b*****d to stay and he deserves to play a game in front of a saints crowd at least once. But objectively speaking, he’s the one who I’d be most inclined to sell for the right price. 

Goalkeepers

Zander Clark - 2022

Elliot Parish - 2022

Ross Sinclair - 2024

Jack Wills - 2022

Defenders 

Shaun Rooney - 2022

James Brown - 2023

Hayden Muller - 2022 - on loan from Millwall

Jason Kerr - 2022

Liam Gordon - 2022

Jamie McCart - 2022

Sam Denham - 2022

Callum Booth - 2022

Midfielders/wingers

David Wotherspoon - 2023

Murray Davidson - 2022

Ali McCann - 2023

Craig Bryson - 2022

Charlie Gilmour -2023

Liam Craig - 2022

Cammy Ballantyne - 2022 (?)

Alex Ferguson - 2023 

Jordan Northcott - 2022

Michael O’Halloran- 2023

Attackers

Stevie May - 2023

Chris Kane - 2023

Callum Hendry - 2022

Just now, mizfit said:

Striker, Midfielder, CB next please lads.

I think Muller will be your lot there, if the rest stay obviously. I think we need another option at left wing back though. 

Realistically I don't think any of us expected Rooney to have anywhere near the impact he's had.

So in all honesty it may be the case that getting any decent money for him is a welcome and pretty unexpected bonus.

14 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

@RandomGuy. Any lwbs you want us to persue?

Especially ones out of contract 🤣

Has Random ever actually come up with a viable choice? The guys he comes up with are usually on the verge of big moves, or as like the last one already a league winner,  which in turn rules out a move to us.

11 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

@RandomGuy. Any lwbs you want us to persue?

Especially ones out of contract 🤣

Got 3 on my sad wee shortlist, all free at the moment, all U21. One probably unlikely tbh.

Plus one who's free next Summer, but I can't see us spending fees so just one to watch really.

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Has Random ever actually come up with a viable choice? The guys he comes up with are usually on the verge of big moves, or as like the last one already a league winner,  which in turn rules out a move to us.

Here now, Luke McCowan and Doyle-Hayes were gettable IMO.

Two of the free agent LBS were released from EFL League One this Summer.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Got 3 on my sad wee shortlist, all free at the moment, all U21. One probably unlikely tbh.

Plus one who's free next Summer, but I can't see us spending fees so just one to watch really.

Don't let cranky old men put you off. 

Even if it's just a bit of an interest! 😁 

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Don't let cranky old men put you off. 

Even if it's just a bit of an interest! 😁 

I'll just start chucking even more ridiculous names at Tam now tbh.

Folk like Boniface were just to see if I could identify players who were actually good and wanted tbh, no point having a system that can't identify good players.

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Here now, Luke McCowan and Doyle-Hayes were gettable IMO.

Two of the free agent LBS were released from EFL League One this Summer.

Do we need another central player? Especially one as money driven as that one.

Who's to say we don't have a better option than McCowan lined up, or are waiting to hear back from?

It's all good touting players but tbh no one has any idea about what Callum actually wants or who he's interested in. We probably could've all predicted a Millwall loan move but did anyone expect a big CB? Callum seems to be covering the bases as regards to if we lose a key player, if we could get a Middleton type in before Europe then I'll be fairly satisfied. I do however want another  striker in before the window shuts and preferably a very good one.

Edited by tree house tam

15 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Do we need another central player? Especially one as money driven as that one.

It's all good touting players but tbh no one has any idea about what Callum actually wants or who he's interested in. 

I meant 12 months ago before he joined St Mirren, not this Summer.

Yeah, I'm not pretending the players I'm touting are actually signing, or what he wants, but when I've no direction I'm just going to scattergun it and see what players look interesting as a bit of fun, tbh.

5 hours ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

We need to keep them all unless stupid money bids come in. The first one we sell for a bargain price will set a precedent and other cheeky low bids will come flying in and unsettle them all. 

I hope Callum has a good bit of influence with the players in question and they may stay for another year. 

This really cannot be stressed enough