Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's difficult. There's a lot more to consider than what we as fans think a player is worth. I'd imagine he's not being compensated at the level of a £300k a year player. With a year left to run on his contract there's a lot to consider. For the player a shite season or a bad injury can drastically reduce his value or attractiveness to other clubs. For St Johnstone is he good enough to earn the club another £300k over the course of the year? If so then letting him no for nothing next summer isn't too big a problem.

For players like McCann who have a couple of years left this is where you hold the aces. To sell him for £1m would be a travesty.

Aye, that's pretty much the position we took when Aberdeen were offering £300k for Moult. Not only did he earn us more than that over the course of the year, we also sold him for £500k in January.

I'd guess that the thing with someone like Rooney is that I doubt St Johnstone brought him in with a view to flipping him for a profit so the board can view it one of two ways either a) it's an unexpected opportunity to cash in or b) they didn't expect to make any money off him so they're not losing out on anything if he walks for nothing.

Just now, capt_oats said:

Aye, that's pretty much the position we took when Aberdeen were offering £300k for Moult. Not only did he earn us more than that over the course of the year, we also sold him for £500k in January.

I'd guess that the thing with someone like Rooney is that I doubt St Johnstone brought him in with a view to flipping him for a profit so the board can view it one of two ways either a) it's an unexpected opportunity to cash in or b) they didn't expect to make any money off him so they're not losing out on anything if he walks for nothing.

Allegedly we could have got him for what we paid for Stevie May. The club opted for May (which I was in favour of at the time so can't complain) but Motherwell managed to cash in at a higher price and will have made more than the £300k we offered on the League Cup gate receipts alone!

Aye, they'd probably not have expected to be in this position after a year when they signed him from Caley. Winning the double clouds matters a bit too!

If Rooney (or his agent) are refusing a deal, is it worth selling him for ~£500k, then using that money to sign someone you think can be first choice on a 2/3 year deal?

Hard to balance these things I guess.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If Rooney (or his agent) are refusing a deal, is it worth selling him for ~£500k, then using that money to sign someone you think can be first choice on a 2/3 year deal?

Hard to balance these things I guess.

£500k for a players who’s had a good 6 months and isn’t willing to sign a new deal is a total no brained for me, take that money to the bank. If there’s any position we’ve seen Davidson be able to work his magic with, it’s full backs/wingbacks. I’d trust him to either develop or find a suitable replacement. 

27 minutes ago, Widge said:

£500k for a players who’s had a good 6 months and isn’t willing to sign a new deal is a total no brained for me, take that money to the bank. If there’s any position we’ve seen Davidson be able to work his magic with, it’s full backs/wingbacks. I’d trust him to either develop or find a suitable replacement. 

I think £500k is acceptable, £300k to me seems low, he's probably earned that already for the club in terms of prize money, given the number of goals/contributions he made in the cup runs.

I know it's a balancing act, the club's position is difficult here, but if you're looking at £2m for the 4 players already linked to clubs elsewhere, is the rest + the replacements good enough to keep us up? A relegation would be much more costly to the club than the value of selling those 4 players for the prices being quoted in the media. Not knickerwetting but sides who lose such a strong backbone all at once don't often do particularly well the following season.

Edited by Kyle

Relegation would cost more than sales at those prices would bring in, and on the flip side, qualifying for European group stages would bring in far more than those total sales values, especially if we can have full stadia come August. With that fact in particular in mind there’s no way we should be selling at these values.

£2m for McCann, £500k for Rooney, £750k for Kerr and £600k for McCart at the very least - plus add ons - and we can think about it. Equally, for all these guys, we should be trying to convince them that a year’s extension and a good first half of the season at Saints could give them even more value come January/next summer. They’re all young - this isn’t their last chance at a money spinning move.

Come the next window McCann will probably be close to double figures in international caps. If either O’Donnell or Patterson start next term poorly - or not at all given Patterson surely isn’t displacing Tavernier - and Rooney starts well surely he can’t be far off a Scotland call? The same has to apply to Kerr and to a lesser extent McCart. I doubt going to League One improves anyone’s international prospects.

Get over the line in one of these European ties and the market value of everyone involved only goes up.

25 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Get over the line in one of these European ties and the market value of everyone involved only goes up.

This feels key tbh. How the qualifers go could determine a lot.

Win and we'll be spending 6 figures on wunderkids from all over the globe, and Kerr/McCart/Rooney can leave as they'll be redundant anyway.

Whilst I agree the cup double was amazing and y'all deserve all the praise in the world for it but didn't the Super Jays franchise just scrape top 6 last SPFL series? you might want to re-evaluate or as we say here in the United state of Aberdonia  "wise up min" regarding  the price tags you are putting on some of these world beaters.

$200k & Kennedy seems about right for Kerr, you guys ok with American Express? 😉

We've signed fucking Goz from Save Me. 

Anyway, Talking Football podcast was interesting this week with Eric Nicolson and some bloke called Hamilton. They reckon club are probably encouraging the interest in Rooney and that McCart will probably go too but that Kerr might stay and they won't budge on McCann valuation, although (rightly) suggested that Steve Brown made a mistake in talking about £1.75 million as it sets a low bar.

8 minutes ago, Radford said:

We've signed fucking Goz from Save Me. 

Anyway, Talking Football podcast was interesting this week with Eric Nicolson and some bloke called Hamilton. They reckon club are probably encouraging the interest in Rooney and that McCart will probably go too but that Kerr might stay and they won't budge on McCann valuation, although (rightly) suggested that Steve Brown made a mistake in talking about £1.75 million as it sets a low bar.

Did he not just say that it would take more than your current record transfer for McCann?

That's almost verbatim the messaging we put out about Turnbull (O'Donnell was the same record fee of £1.75m).

It doesn't really feel like much of a mis-step to me tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Did he not just say that it would take more than your current record transfer to for McCann?

That's almost verbatim the messaging we put out about Turnbull (O'Donnell was the same record fee of £1.75m).

It doesn't really feel like much of a mis-step to me tbh.

He said it had to be "north of that figure", when asked if they wanted more than our record fee.

He then followed that up in classic Steve Brown manner by moaning about a lack of season ticket holders and how that makes thing difficult for us financially.

We need to keep them all unless stupid money bids come in. The first one we sell for a bargain price will set a precedent and other cheeky low bids will come flying in and unsettle them all. 

I hope Callum has a good bit of influence with the players in question and they may stay for another year.