Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Second Sun article claims that the price we've set to sell him, which seems absolutely mental.

Also claims its £400k to get Kerr.

If the £1m fee for McCann is also right, and McCart is ~£400k, then we could be looking at losing McCart, Kerr, Rooney, and McCann for a combined £2m. Would honestly be scandalous if thats allowed to happen.

I may not like St Johnstone, but I absolutely hate Scottish talent being perenially undervalued far more. Imo, Rooney going for under £500k and Kerr going for less than £1 million (specifically because Porteous is somehow linked with a move of that amount rn) would be a travesty.

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Immediately I wonder. How bad has our covid losses been if we're willing to (IF TRUE) to allow them all to leave so easily?

How big would our Europe gain be though if we win 1 tie? 

If Kerr leaves for £400k that would be an extremely poor piece of business from the Brown's.

I remember Rotherham United tried the same with Stevie May.

Then Sheffield Wednesday came in and offered £750k, from memory Rotherham were willing to Chuck just over £200k for him.

7 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Shocking really. If we're getting £400k for Kerr I highly doubt we'd get £400k for McCart, Kerr is very much the poster boy in that defence.

Theres surely no way we can lose Rooney, Kerr and McCart for under £1m combined?

6 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I may not like St Johnstone, but I absolutely hate Scottish talent being perenially undervalued far more. Imo, Rooney going for under £500k and Kerr going for less than £1 million (specifically because Porteous is somehow linked with a move of that amount rn) would be a travesty.

I've some sympathy with the club, as all 3 are out of contract next Summer and feels unlikely they'll extend, but the values are truly baffling.

We've just had the most successful season in our history, in Europe, plenty of money in the back, all the players are under 25 and had incredible seasons. If ever we're going to take a stand and try and set a new benchmark for sales then its now. If these figures are true we'll pay the price for years as clubs won't expect us to ask for high fees. 

Theres no point having a club philosiphy to bring through youngsters/sign younger players, to help bring income in, if you're then going to sell them for f**k all.

5 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Immediately I wonder. How bad has our covid losses been if we're willing to (IF TRUE) to allow them all to leave so easily?

They just got handed over £2m from the government for nothing last season. Theres no excuse for such low fees.

6 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

How big would our Europe gain be though if we win 1 tie? 

If Kerr leaves for £400k that would be an extremely poor piece of business from the Brown's.

Certainly more than 400k. 

That's basically why I'm asking that question. If these figures end up being true why do we seem so desperate to cash in for these kind of figures? 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

The worst bit about the low fees is it gives you next to f**k all to actually replace the players. 

It'll be almost impossible to replace any of them with free transfers, never mind 3 of them.

Saints have a turnover of around £4 million to £5 million. Give or take, our expenditure is usually about the same. 

Whilst clearly turnover from many normal income streams would be down last year, there would be many savings made as well. The stadium was essentially shut for a year. 

But, we took in far more prize money than usual and have the previously mentioned government loan. 

I'm not trying to say the last year won't have been hard financially but I can't imagine it should be having any impact on decisions to sell players, especially when the McCann fee alone should, in addition to the loan, be covering our usual expenditure level. 

So then it comes back to how they find themselves at these sort of valuations. Seven years of investment in Jason Kerr, the last two of which will have been on a lucrative contract, presumably paying out more than £200,000 in wages. The club captain. And they want £400,000 to let him go...

Radford has summed up my thoughts better than I was doing but that's exactly it. 

Just struggling to understand (if true) why we'd be so keen to just accept mediocre money. I accept players will leave but none of these values strike me as to good to turn down..

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Second Sun article claims that the price we've set to sell him, which seems absolutely mental.

Also claims its £400k to get Kerr.

If the £1m fee for McCann is also right, and McCart is ~£400k, then we could be looking at losing McCart, Kerr, Rooney, and McCann for a combined £2m. Would honestly be scandalous if thats allowed to happen.

That'd be absolutely ludicrous, considering the cost of all those combined would add up to about one Lyndon Dykes.

47 minutes ago, Radford said:

Saints have a turnover of around £4 million to £5 million. Give or take, our expenditure is usually about the same. 

Whilst clearly turnover from many normal income streams would be down last year, there would be many savings made as well. The stadium was essentially shut for a year. 

But, we took in far more prize money than usual and have the previously mentioned government loan. 

I'm not trying to say the last year won't have been hard financially but I can't imagine it should be having any impact on decisions to sell players, especially when the McCann fee alone should, in addition to the loan, be covering our usual expenditure level. 

So then it comes back to how they find themselves at these sort of valuations. Seven years of investment in Jason Kerr, the last two of which will have been on a lucrative contract, presumably paying out more than £200,000 in wages. The club captain. And they want £400,000 to let him go...

Holy shit, I didn't realise it was that high?! Livi's by comparison is 1m

Edited by ATLIS

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

That'd be absolutely ludicrous, considering the cost of all those combined would add up to about one Lyndon Dykes.

Its embarrassing tbh, to the point where it surely can't be true.

Theres zero logical reason to sell 3 regular defenders this Summer, never mind for such a small sum amount.

Refuse to believe this isn't just agents being fannies and spreading stories.

How does the sun know the figures Saints willing to accept as well?

Presumably because they've been told by someone at the club as can't see it coming from agents due to the number of players mentioned all at once. Unless they've made it up of course but cant see that being the case.

Is this Browns attempt at generating a bidding war? Can't see any other reason why we'd publicly announce were willing to accept mediocre money. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Theres zero logical reason to sell 3 regular defenders this Summer, never mind for such a small sum amount.

To be fair a good 70% of the time it usually is just agents being agents, even then though it's a bit worrying if I was a Saints fan

3 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

How does the sun know the figures Saints willing to accept as well?

Worth mentioning Scott Burns doesn't mention any figures, just says we've rejected £200k for Rooney and Rotherham will up the bid to £300k. 

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair a good 70% of the time it usually is just agents being agents, even then though it's a bit worrying if I was a Saints fan

I'm hoping its just agent talk, but if its not then its massively worrying, especially as it might point to the ridiculous £1m fee rumour for Ali McCann being true.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They *could* be using it to try and pressure Saints into acting on new deals now. Especially in Kerr & Mccarts case. 

Who knows though. I guess we'll find out in time. 

14 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

They *could* be using it to try and pressure Saints into acting on new deals now. Especially in Kerr & Mccarts case. 

Who knows though. I guess we'll find out in time. 

I mean if we have to pay an extra hundred or two a week I'm okay with that

Folk on here have been believing the Middleton is coming back for another year pish, which isn't true (atm), so it makes sense that you're all going to believe those ridiculous valuations being banded about.

Think I might join the banter page for some non knickerwetting reality.

Edited by tree house tam

39 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Folk on here have been believing the Middleton is coming back for another year pish, which isn't true (atm), so it makes sense that you're all going to believe those ridiculous valuations being banded about.

Think I might join the banter page for some non knickerwetting reality.

Exactly this. There’s no direct quotes and absolutely no basis in any of the articles for any of the values being “set”. The media and agents have taken a stab at it and are just putting stuff in the press to big up players or sell papers. It’s as simple as that really. Saints would rather lose Rooney and Kerr for nothing than a combined £600k let’s face it. Since the difference in prize money with them could be 5x that!