Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Horrible feeling most of us will never see McCann in a Saints shirt again, but guess it's good there's no news about any actual bids yet.

Daily Record also reporting Wigan and Oxford are after Kerr, with the obligatory "Hibernian are keeping a close watch" added on.

This Summer could be a fairly busy one in the end.

Haven't seen any print versions of McCann story but apparently there are quotes along the lines of Stoke trying to raise the "£1 million" needed to get him. Would be very, very disappointed if Saints sold him for that sort of money. 

Whether it's Alan Nixon's story in the The Sun I'm not sure but same paper saying Oxford, Wigan and Hibs are keen on Jason Kerr as well. 

If Kerr isn't going to sign a new deal, we certainly need a number of clubs very keen to push up the price on that one. 

Surely no chance McCann goes for that little, it'll hopefully just be the beginning of a the frustrating little public dance clubs do.

We're running out of time with Kerr due to his age, so this Summer is probably the time to try and get money for him if that's what we want to do. Guess you can't really develop a player for so long then lose them for nothing, despite what they give you over that time.

Big job to replace Kerr, McCann, plus add depth and a goalscorer this Summer.

There has to be a premium on these players if we sell before the European ties. 

Dundalk made €3 million from playing group stage football last season. 

I know its a balancing act as we need to source replacements but it can't be good business to sell your best player for £1 million and at the same time reduce your chances of earning €3 million.

It will also arguably be harder to find a replacement for Kerr given his role in the system and leaving it late in the window isn't ideal.

Don't envy making the decisions the club have to get right here. 

Kerr seems like a really obvious "target" for Oxford to chance their arm with if he's only got a year left on his deal.

IIRC they were in for SOD and Stuart Findlay when they were at Killie (with a year left to run), they tried to sign Cadden twice, latterly being the whole snaking affair that saw him f**k off to the US for free then pitch up in Oxford on loan.

They seem like an extremely snide club. IIRC there was word on their forum that it was Oxford's suggestion that Marvin Johnson refuse to play for us in order to force a move when we were looking to get more cash out them. In the end we did quite well out that deal due to the sell on from him moving to Middlesboro but it was quite the pantomime at the time. 

Being "held to ransom" no less: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marvin-johnson-being-held-ransom-8736132

Absolutely no suggestion that Kerr would agitate like that given his association with the club but aye, Oxford come across as c***s.

My gut feeling is that Jason Kerr will be a Hibs player this time next year. Quite how he'll get there can be debated but I think that will be the case.

Saints néed to establish if he has any serious intentions of extending his contract and if not, then focus on Rooney and McCart and getting them tied up until, ideally, 2024. 

6 minutes ago, Radford said:

My gut feeling is that Jason Kerr will be a Hibs player this time next year. Quite how he'll get there can be debated but I think that will be the case.

Maybe if we had moved for him a year or two back, but I suspect he is out of most clubs price range now including ours.

And if he allows his contract to run down, its probably to move to England for a big payday.

42 minutes ago, Radford said:

It will also arguably be harder to find a replacement for Kerr given his role in the system and leaving it late in the window isn't ideal. 

I like Kerr, but the role hes playing is rife down in England over the past few years, so on paper it wouldn't be too hard to replace him.

Theres a 6"2 CB, 22yo, seems to be available on loan from the Championship, who is with that Stellar Agency I'm sure Allan Preston works for, who matches him pretty well. Played in League Two last season down South. Took me 10 minutes to find and the club will have a far larger database than the one I've created + have far more knowledge of the actual players.

549586986_Kerrreplacement.thumb.png.198dae0d1cc95c0ada70b468e879294b.png

Obviously a loan isn't perfect, and the poor aerial figures are a worry, but there are options out there who should be able to understand the role without having to start all over again IMO.

Also obviously you can't take into account the fact hes the captain and how much of a "unit" the backline has become.

Honestly though, I feel like Davidson having a "system" with set roles should make the whole process easier. You can find players ~similar to what you've had who should be a direct fit. Under Tommy Wright you probably just had to try and find the best player available rather than the best player who fits.

Edited by RandomGuy.

20 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Maybe if we had moved for him a year or two back, but I suspect he is out of most clubs price range now including ours.

He's out of contract next Summer so I can't see us getting a huge fee 

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's out of contract next Summer so I can't see us getting a huge fee 

Depends whats classed as "huge" these days tho !

After the last season I am not sure anyone up here has much to spend outside of the usual two - hence I still think he will ultimately go south, and for the sake of St J and Scottish fitba  in generalI hope you give him an extension (even with a buyout) so you are not left getting hee haw for a decent player.

11 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Depends whats classed as "huge" these days tho !

I doubt we'll get over £1m for him.

Somewhere between £500k-£750k probably the best we'll be offered. Not convinced that's worthwhile for us to sell early this window.

There’s zero chance saints take 1 million for McCann, that’s a total nonstarter and it’s a little worrying that someone’s even thought that was a logical thing to report on. Given the chairman and the manager have both come out publicly and said we want over our record transfer fee, it’s just the media trying to stir things up in a pretty boring market right now. We’d get a million if he had 12 months left on his deal, never mind 24! 

4 hours ago, Widge said:

There’s zero chance saints take 1 million for McCann, that’s a total nonstarter and it’s a little worrying that someone’s even thought that was a logical thing to report on. Given the chairman and the manager have both come out publicly and said we want over our record transfer fee, it’s just the media trying to stir things up in a pretty boring market right now. We’d get a million if he had 12 months left on his deal, never mind 24! 

Someone (not you) has just posted this exact message word-for-word on the St Johnstone Banter page. You need to sue immediately.

Edited by The Real Saints

11 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Someone (not you) has just posted this exact message word-for-word on the St Johnstone Banter page. You need to sue immediately.

Be the only time anything sensible was ever posted on there!

25 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Some chancer named Ollie I see.