Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Saints offered Tanser three years to try and bridge wages in offer elsewhere. Fact he's signed for a year at St Mirren should paint a pretty clear picture of what we were up against when it came to a basic salary package.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a player trying to make as much money as he can it should be added.

Yeah Tanser leaving has been inevitable for a while now, fair play to him if he's actually got the money he was after.

Replacing him with Booth helped us a lot both defensively and going forward so in terms of that it's not a blow, but it's yet more depth gone from the squad. 

Just now, The Real Saints said:

I’m really shocked as I don’t recall St Mirren being one of the clubs who were extremely interested in him. Can’t believe they’ve pipped Rangers and Sunderland at the very last minute. 

To be fair, Clive's master plan has worked as he's secured his client the basic wage he was looking for.

Who is Clive the St Mirren fans may ask. They will know in about November time...

I'm not bothered about the actual player.
It's just worrying that the first real reported target who the manager would likely have really wanted has moved to a club further down the same division. 
Last time we won the Cup we had a disastrous transfer window after it. I'm just worried we stand still this Summer again.
And yet we finished 2014/15 in fourth place and qualified for Europe for the fourth year on the bounce. I will happily accept a "disastrous" transfer window if we are fourth at the end of next season. Honestly mate, calm down.

How do we know that’s the one the manager wanted though? Beyond a couple of stories in the media and couple of posts on here and on Twitter, I’ve not seen us anything to suggest that’s the case. We just need to be patient and let the club do their work behind the scenes. Kiltie is probably the first signing at another club I’ve been remotely envious of so far and I’d hope we were in for him. We know we can’t (won’t)  compete with most clubs in terms of wages though, so we just need to be patient  and let the club get the work done. 

Clark
Kerr Gordon McCart
Rooney McCann Craig Booth
Wotherspoon
May Kane
Subs Parish Denham Bryson Davidson O’Halloran Gilmour Hendry Ballantyne Northcott
If that’s the squad/team we’re able to put out on the 31st of July then I’d back us to pick something in whatever game we’re playing. 
It will be Ibrox. The media will want Sevco to have a chance of revenge on the diddies who stopped them winning a Cup that they didn't want to win anyway.

5 minutes ago, The Marly said:

And yet we finished 2014/15 in fourth place and qualified for Europe for the fourth year on the bounce. I will happily accept a "disastrous" transfer window if we are fourth at the end of next season. Honestly mate, calm down.

That Summer was a massive missed opportunity, IMO. Then the season after the football was brutal as we were forced to try and keep clean sheets.

Nothing happened that window until the final 3 weeks when we signed Lappin, McFadden and Graham. Only other signing that window was Adam Morgan.

I say it all the time but it's no use accepting mediocrity, and that's what the Summer 14 window was, just because it worked out well in the end last time. We need to be taking advantage of the situation we're in and really pushing on to build a squad that can challenge the top 4 over the next 4/5 years.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, The Marly said:
1 hour ago, Kyle said:
How do we know that’s the one the manager wanted though? Beyond a couple of stories in the media and couple of posts on here and on Twitter, I’ve not seen us anything to suggest that’s the case. We just need to be patient and let the club do their work behind the scenes. Kiltie is probably the first signing at another club I’ve been remotely envious of so far and I’d hope we were in for him. We know we can’t (won’t)  compete with most clubs in terms of wages though, so we just need to be patient  and let the club get the work done. 

Clark
Kerr Gordon McCart
Rooney McCann Craig Booth
Wotherspoon
May Kane
Subs Parish Denham Bryson Davidson O’Halloran Gilmour Hendry Ballantyne Northcott
If that’s the squad/team we’re able to put out on the 31st of July then I’d back us to pick something in whatever game we’re playing. 

It will be Ibrox. The media will want Sevco to have a chance of revenge on the diddies who stopped them winning a Cup that they didn't want to win anyway.

Are we not due to 2 home games pre split against them so won’t be Ibrox till week 12 at the earliest.

I’ve never liked Scott Tanser, so I’m glad he isn’t employed by us anymore and I can finally express it. He has his qualities in an attacking sense, but ultimately he’s a spineless coward of a defender with rat-like facial features.

Having said that, he’s a cup-winning legend and I wish him all the best.

That Summer was a massive missed opportunity, IMO. Then the season after the football was brutal as we were forced to try and keep clean sheets.
Nothing happened that window until the final 3 weeks when we signed Lappin, McFadden and Graham. Only other signing that window was Adam Morgan.
I say it all the time but it's no use accepting mediocrity, and that's what the Summer 14 window was, just because it worked out well in the end last time. We need to be taking advantage of the situation we're in and really pushing on to build a squad that can challenge the top 4 over the next 4/5 years.
If you really think we can challenge at the top for the next four to five years, then you're more deluded than I realised. That window was a bit underwhelming, I admit. But the bigger picture of the last 12 (twelve) seasons tells you that the club and therefore Steve Brown, get more right than wrong. A lot more.

3 minutes ago, The Marly said:

If you really think we can challenge at the top for the next four to five years, then you're more deluded than I realised.

Why not? 

I'm not expecting us to finish in the top 4 constantly over the next 4/5 years, but theres nothing to stop us finishing in the top 6 four out of the next five seasons pushing the top 4 in some of those seasons.

Browns, and the club, do a lot right. But they also do a lot wrong, I've no idea why people feel the need to ignore that. Summer 14 was a misstep and mistake, that worked out well. I'd rather we avoided the same thing this Summer. Club have until the end of August to improve the first team, add quality in depth, and get some key contracts extended. I'd just have thought we'd be further down the road with at least some of that considering our league safety was secured 3 months ago.

2 minutes ago, The Marly said:
11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you really think we can challenge at the top for the next four to five years, then you're more deluded than I realised. That window was a bit underwhelming, I admit. But the bigger picture of the last 12 (twelve) seasons tells you that the club and therefore Steve Brown, get more right than wrong. A lot more.

It's funny you mention that about Steve Brown, but was saying earlier that when you look at what Hearts fans have had to put up with over the past few years, and Falkirk, then also see the decisions the boards at Aberdeen, ross County, Celtic and especially Dundee United today, have been making, you realise how invaluable a steady, reliable, headline avoiding chairman and board are.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why not? 

I'm not expecting us to finish in the top 4 constantly over the next 4/5 years, but theres nothing to stop us finishing in the top 6 four out of the next five seasons pushing the top 4 in some of those seasons.

Browns, and the club, do a lot right. But they also do a lot wrong, I've no idea why people feel the need to ignore that. Summer 14 was a misstep and mistake, that worked out well. I'd rather we avoided the same thing this Summer. Club have until the end of August to improve the first team, add quality in depth, and get some key contracts extended. I'd just have thought we'd be further down the road with at least some of that considering our league safety was secured 3 months ago.

Haven't we always tried to do our work behind the scenes though?  We don't know what talks the club are involved in currently.

I've just bought my season ticket  to watch Rooney run through Tanser. Over. And. Over. Again. 

Fair fucks to him getting a higher wage. No questioning the ability of his left peg, but you will conceed a lot from the left when he plays. 

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The best thing about Adam Morgan is he genuinely gives Joe Gormley a run for his money in the "massively overhyped striker who turned out to be utter pish" stakes

It's funny you mention that about Steve Brown, but was saying earlier that when you look at what Hearts fans have had to put up with over the past few years, and Falkirk, then also see the decisions the boards at Aberdeen, ross County, Celtic and especially Dundee United today, have been making, you realise how invaluable a steady, reliable, headline avoiding chairman and board are.
Absolutely. There's no telling some folk though. As far as I'm aware most of SJFC players and staff are on a very well earned break/holiday at the moment. I wouldn't be expecting much news this week.
I do realise that this news will set off another RandomGuy melt down, much like the one a few seasons back when he was convinced Tommy had most of the summer off as well as every international break.

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Haven't we always tried to do our work behind the scenes though?  We don't know what talks the club are involved in currently.

Absolutely, its just to my mind planning for this season, and subsequent talks with players over deals, should've started at least the moment we secured a top 6 spot.

Since then I think the only regulars we've extended deals for are Booth, Craig, May and Kane.

We've got Clark, Rooney, Kerr, Gordon, and McCart all out of contract next Summer, only have 5 senior defenders, have lost Melamed and Middleton (both of which were inevitable a few months ago), and theres been no progress at all in terms of improving any of that situation.

I'd just hoped at least one bit of progress would've been announced by now, working on the timeframe that the clubs been working on them for 3 months.