Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

So with Melamed and Middleton moving on Davidson has a challenge to get goals into the team again. So what's our options?

If we play a 3-4-1-2 then our stick on midfielder and forward line is likely: 

Booth

Craig

McCann

Rooney

Spoony

Kane

May/Hendry

Being honest, there isn't a lot of goals in that team. There is a big importance on getting close to double figures from at least 4 of those in order to have a decent season.

If we go with 2-1 up top then we bring in MOH instead of May/Hendry.

I think our best chance of success is with a bigger player up top as we tend for get a large number of crosses in so wouldn't object to a target man with good hold up play.

At a guess, Danny Mac and Rooney must have played a similar amount of time being first choice RWB for half the season each.

Danny played 532 passes to Rooney's 402, yet Rooney's impact, and goal involvement seemed far greater.  Does demonstrate how we overplayed in the first few months, with slow attacks which were easily snuffed out, as well as highlighting that a player's time on the ball and involvement in a match can be very different from impact on a match.

40 minutes ago, deej said:

How have you done this? Just watched every game and literally counted the passes?

WyScout have like an overview of everyone's passes.

So I just click on a match, then on a player, and it shows me how many passes they completed to every player individually. 

20 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Interesting stats, but think players could only really be a fair comparison when it's number of passes per minutes played as you mention RG.

Yeah it's something I realised I shouldve done about halfway through 😂 will take twice as long to do that though, so it might not happen this season.

Just imagine Callum Davidson securing £4m for a young international midfielder, then securing a £3m European windfall, then thinking to himself ‘How shall I take advantage of this opportunity?’, before concluding that he should sign Ross Callachan on a free transfer.

I used to shake my head coming out of McDiarmid and hearing people talking about Callachan as having been MOTM or why wasn’t he playing or whatever. Lots of effort and a few good things about him but absolutely lacking in any real footballing ability. Scored some goals last season in a dreadful Hamilton team in which he had a very specific role that he fulfilled well. Would not work in our system even in the slightest and would stick out like a sore thumb for his weaknesses.

I wouldn’t have him back.
Some people seemed to think he was Murray Davidson’s replacement, I think he was just someone who didn’t make the step up.

McCann and him are both completely different players so why would we go for him if we sell McCann?

Honestly, what a relief to read the last few posts. I came on to post looking for some sort of reassurance that he was pretty rubbish and thankfully the cream of the St Johnstone support reaffirmed that view. 

Faith restored. 

Think there is a strong case to be made for revoking season tickets from anyone calling for him to return. 

53 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Just imagine Callum Davidson securing £4m for a young international midfielder, then securing a £3m European windfall, then thinking to himself ‘How shall I take advantage of this opportunity?’, before concluding that he should sign Ross Callachan on a free transfer.

Serious question, do you honestly believe you will get anywhere near £4m for McCann? I think he is an amazing player and absolutely should be worth that considering the money chucked around at other dross but it is just never the case in reality imo. I reckon you will get 2.5 million max for him. 

Would be happy to be proved wrong though!

2 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Serious question, do you honestly believe you will get anywhere near £4m for McCann? I think he is an amazing player and absolutely should be worth that considering the money chucked around at other dross but it is just never the case in reality imo. I reckon you will get 2.5 million max for him. 

Would be happy to be proved wrong though!

John McGinn is surely the benchmark. Think McCann has slightly less top flight games and caps, but is also 2 years younger, and has an International goal. Both had won 2 trophies.

That was reported as an initial £2.75m with a 20% sell on.

With McCann being younger, it shouldn't be ridiculous to want at least £3m up front, plus clauses, IMO.