Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 hours ago, Kyle said:

I think you're probably right, only thing that makes sense really, unless his renewal is being announced later.

Fingers crossed anyway, would be a blow of sorts to lose him, but we'll surely have offered him a deal so that would mean compo etc.

A hard day for me. My boy McCowan goes to Dundee, and my Twitter timeline filled with folk wanting Callachan back. Not sure what's worse.

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fingers crossed anyway, would be a blow of sorts to lose him, but we'll surely have offered him a deal so that would mean compo etc.

A hard day for me. My boy McCowan goes to Dundee, and my Twitter timeline filled with folk wanting Callachan back. Not sure what's worse.

Definitely the fucking latter. Callachan isn’t getting a Hugh Jackman ‘bring him home’ post from me. 

Edited by Kyle

Just now, Kyle said:

Definitely the fucking latter. Callachan isn’t getting a Hugh Jackman ‘bring him home’ post from me. 

I've got the genuine fear we've looked at our lack of goals this season, seen his goal return, and thought its worth a punt.

Imagine him playing as one of the 2 CMs in the 5-2-3 😂

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I've got the genuine fear we've looked at our lack of goals this season, seen his goal return, and thought its worth a punt.

Imagine him playing as one of the 2 CMs in the 5-2-3 😂

Exactly. Given all the midfielders we have signed up (McCann, Craig, Davidson, Bryson, Gilmour, Ballantyne, Ferguson and Spoony is more than capable of covering there) I wouldn’t expect a cm. unless of course McCann leaves, then all bets are off. 

29 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Exactly. Given all the midfielders we have signed up (McCann, Craig, Davidson, Bryson, Gilmour, Ballantyne, Ferguson and Spoony is more than capable of covering there) I wouldn’t expect a cm. unless of course McCann leaves, then all bets are off. 

Yeah obviously question marks over Gilmour and Ballantyne still, but looks a lot better than this time last season.

Any idea how close Ferguson is to breaking through? Only seen one or two comments about him, but sounds like behind the scenes they expect huge things from him.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I seen your other favourite signed for Thistle.

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I seen your other favourite signed for Thistle.

I was never hugely keen on Turner tbh.

I've counted up every pass between players over the league season. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I've forgotten to put it up, because I'm tired. So I'll do it tomorrow at some point, probably halfway through work when I remember.

Any guesses on what the most common pass was this season etc?

It's only league games, but I couldn't find a single pass from May to Kerr. Its interesting when you've been staring at numbers for hours, probably not for people with actual lives.

I've counted up every pass between players over the league season. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
I've forgotten to put it up, because I'm tired. So I'll do it tomorrow at some point, probably halfway through work when I remember.
Any guesses on what the most common pass was this season etc?
It's only league games, but I couldn't find a single pass from May to Kerr. Its interesting when you've been staring at numbers for hours, probably not for people with actual lives.

Gordon to McCart?

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Twice as common as Gordon to Kerr, interestingly.

I think that’s because Kerr tends to find himself a little higher on the right hand side so when a midfielder has to go back to Gordon, McCart is the easier option. Think we also started missing Kerr out and trying to hit Rooney quicker as well once he came in to mix things up. 

9 minutes ago, Widge said:

I think that’s because Kerr tends to find himself a little higher on the right hand side so when a midfielder has to go back to Gordon, McCart is the easier option. Think we also started missing Kerr out and trying to hit Rooney quicker as well once he came in to mix things up. 

681302850_passgridphoto.thumb.png.b2dc91f3a49ff74892201a122a73da20.png

Hopefully easy to read, zero idea how it's coming out in terms of size on folks phones/laptops.

35 minutes ago, Widge said:

Zero surprise to see Spoony having the most passes to multiple people.  

Aye, proper heartbeat of the side.

Ita obviously affected by minutes played and he played a lot, though.

You know what RG that's a really interesting graphic for a couple of reasons. Teams assume that our main threat is down the right with Rooney, yet that's far from the case and actually 60% of our play at least comes down the left where our better ball players are (McCart, Spooney, etc.). Secondly it highlights just how good Ali McCann is since he's in the top 3/4 on both passes received and made, shows that even if he's not at the top of his game he's actually a very crucial part of the team in terms of retention and keeping things moving. 

The final point relates to Melamed. I appreciate that a lot of chat above was about him leaving and I'm not overly fussed any more. Terrific finisher with decent movement, but the fact he hasn't even made 100 passes this season despite playing half a season effectively suggests that he's not the man for linking the play we needed after all. Now I know that the strikers are there to get in the box and score goals, but in this formation every player needs to be comfortable on the ball laying it off and moving.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

You know what RG that's a really interesting graphic for a couple of reasons. Teams assume that our main threat is down the right with Rooney, yet that's far from the case and actually 60% of our play at least comes down the left where our better ball players are (McCart, Spooney, etc.).

I see a lot of the statto geeks I follow raving about Chelseas "overload and isolate" gameplan, where they put a lot of players on the right to allow their left winger to be 1v1 if there's a big switch. Rangers do it too.

Wonder if that's proof we do similar? Overload the left to make sure Rooney is 1v1 when we switch play. Didn't really work with McNamara in the side, as him and Conway played a lot of passes, Wotherspoon was cutting inside from the left, and Tanser doesn't really get in the box the way Rooney does?

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

681302850_passgridphoto.thumb.png.b2dc91f3a49ff74892201a122a73da20.png

Hopefully easy to read, zero idea how it's coming out in terms of size on folks phones/laptops.

How have you done this? Just watched every game and literally counted the passes?