Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Great achievement 

what’s the next step realistic step for St Johnstone fans? Do yous think this is a one off season and more than content if that is the case or do you think there is a chance the club could use this as a springboard to consistently be challenging at top end of the table for European places and picking up more trophies along the way ? Become a bit like the Scottish Leicester if you will. 

Edited by Forever_blueco

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Who did you pick as your team to follow? 

Brechin City.

Just kidding. I'm likely just becoming a fan of the SPFL in general. It was pretty enjoyable just following things in general and the mentalness of it all this past year instead of being tied to one team. 

5 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

do you think there is a chance the club could use this as a springboard to consistently be challenging at top end of the table for European places and picking up more trophies along the way ? Become a bit like the Scottish Leicester if you will. 

I mean, is that not what we've been doing over the past decade as it is?

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I mean, is that not what we've been doing over the past decade as it is?

That is true . Was more meaning how do you see yourselves building on this season . Can you see yourselves looking to challenge for third place Consistently and consistently get into a group stage . Could be a realistic target with the conference league in place now aswell 

Edited by Forever_blueco

4 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

That is true . Was more meaning how do you see yourself’s building on this season . Can you see yourselves looking to challenge for third place Consistently and even get into a group stage . The conference league could see that as a realistic possibility. 

Who knows tbh, I'm just trying to enjoy the journey just now, rather than overthink it.

2 minutes ago, Forever_blueco said:

That is true . Was more meaning how do you see yourself’s building on this season . Can you see yourselves looking to challenge for third place Consistently and even get into a group stage . The conference league could see that as a realistic possibility. 

If history is any guide our owners are more likely to spend additional money on capital investment rather than player wages. We seem to have a pretty good youth setup and I'd not be surprised to see some cash spent there and possibly even investment in non-football cash-generating activities. They might even top up reserves, depending on how much they've been depleted by Covid.

They're house-builders and a family business so they're risk-averse and don't really spend on marketing or 'glamour' to try to grow the fan base. To do that significantly we'd be having to try to appeal to folk outside Perthshire, can't see that happening. I'd expect a bump in revenue but consistently challenging for 3rd would mean a pretty meaty and sustainable increase in turnover and we don't really have the catchment area for that. Would love to see some sensible gambles taken on player upgrades, with one or maybe two box-office signings to bring in punters and drive us forward, fingers crossed, and surely CD has earned the right to ask for that. The other bonus the double brings is it ups the value of our younger players and takes a bit of selling pressure off the balance sheet. There's hopefully even more improvement in them with CD's coaching.

Consistently in Europe is definitely achievable and you'd be looking for us to be getting deep into the domestic cups every year, hopefully winning one or more along the way. My expectation is that this year puts us on the path to steady growth rather than a major inflexion point.  We're a club that does sustainable improvement, which if fine by me.

I've just put you guys over strong on the The Caley thread so if you could loan us some of your fringe players next season that would be great.

57 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Anyone else ran out to buy the courier to keep hidden away?

I have a wee collection of day-after newspapers, beginning with the French papers the day after the Monaco game. No idea why I do it. To convince myself it's real, I suppose.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Right I’m away to start pestering the council to build a statue of Callum Davidson to get stuck up bang in the centre of the city.

Tommy Wright can still have his, but It’ll be smaller and stuck in Hunters.

Up the fucking Perth.

6 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Is the petition for renaming the East Stand the Tommy Wright stand still going??

The way he's acted since joining Kilmarnock shows the folly of naming things after people who are still active in the game, tbh.

Not quite sure why he's acting the way he is.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not quite sure why he's acting the way he is.

You could understand it if we'd sacked him, but he left us.

Thought that maybe his departure was a good thing in the sense it meant his massive achievements at Saints would be unblemished by failure. He's doing a fair job of tarnishing things by his recent press comments.

Edited by Mr Heliums