Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Squad starting to look fairly stacked for next season now.

Feel like we're in a better place than usual at this time of the season, but maybe just how it feels.

Squad starting to look fairly stacked for next season now.
Feel like we're in a better place than usual at this time of the season, but maybe just how it feels.

Probably helps we’ve not got a manager bitching in the papers every 5 minutes about having no money.

2 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Some Aberdeen fans are getting a dose of Hibs disease on here. While its not all of them, reading posts suggesting they'd be happy with £4m for Ferguson and then spending 500k to get McCann from Saints just shows that the Hibs fans aren't the only ones smoking strong fucking drugs. 

Tbf Hibs fans have gone up a notch today.

Jason Kerr saying he wants to stay at Saints and extend his deal is apparently just him putting pressure on his agent to get a move to Hibs, as he's a big Hibs fan. You're apparently thick if you can't see that's what he was meaning with his interview.

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jason Kerr saying he wants to stay at Saints and extend his deal is apparently just him putting pressure on his agent to get a move to Hibs, as he's a big Hibs fan. You're apparently thick if you can't see that's what he was meaning with his interview.

Football fans seem to get into their head their club is more important and bigger than it actually is. Probably because they love their club and would give up everything for the chance to be a footballer and play for the club the support but professional footballers look at it differently, even for clubs they support.

I've not read Kerr's quotes in all detail but I'm sure he's an ambitious lad and quite understandbly is enjoying his football right now with Saints. I'm imagining he'll be looking at from the angle of ifhe does leave Saints he doesn't see the value of a mini step forward as whether Hibs like it or not it's still a move within the goldfish bowl of Scottish football mediocrity & while better money but not life changing.

If he's ambitious he'll be aiming higher than Hibs. May, Davidson style move or even the move the likes of Stewart at County made recently. That's a life changing move.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Scott Boyd is coming across pretty well in all these snippets. He appears to have come in and efficiently started renewing the contracts Davidson wanted without any fuss. I'll caveat that by saying he's probably not had success with anyone who was likely to be difficult (Davidson, Booth, etc. aren't tricky). It'll be interesting to see whether he can extend the deals of Rooney, Kerr, McCart, McCann in the next 3-6 months as they're surely the priority. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least 2/3 of them to have signed extended deals by the summer if we get the added cup/europe money from winning the thing. 

If we have to lose guys like O'Halloran, Conway, Melamed, Hendry, etc. to pay for these guys extensions, then I'd be doing it without hesitation. I feel like Davidson is looking to continue the theme Wright started, bring in and play the young guys who're cheaper and let them flourish in a system where so long as they know their role, they're an asset. You're hoping that Ballantyne, Denholm and Ferguson can break through in the next 6-12 months (maybe a little soon for Ferguson) and the cycle continues. It's naive to think we can repeat next season with a squad as light as it currently is, so recruitment needs to be done swiftly and efficiently for me. 

If players like Jason Kerr and Ali McCann would like a step-up, they can achieve one by staying at Saints. If we win the cup, next season's St. Johnstone will be a step-up from the current St. Johnstone. They can progress alongside the club. Halcyon days.

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

If players like Jason Kerr and Ali McCann would like a step-up, they can achieve one by staying at Saints. If we win the cup, next season's St. Johnstone will be a step-up from the current St. Johnstone. They can progress alongside the club. Halcyon days.

What about our bet?

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

2 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Football fans seem to get into their head their club is more important and bigger than it actually is. Probably because they love their club and would give up everything for the chance to be a footballer and play for the club the support but professional footballers look at it differently, even for clubs they support.

I've not read Kerr's quotes in all detail but I'm sure he's an ambitious lad and quite understandbly is enjoying his football right now with Saints. I'm imagining he'll be looking at from the angle of ifhe does leave Saints he doesn't see the value of a mini step forward as whether Hibs like it or not it's still a move within the goldfish bowl of Scottish football mediocrity & while better money but not life changing.

If he's ambitious he'll be aiming higher than Hibs. May, Davidson style move or even the move the likes of Stewart at County made recently. That's a life changing move.

Random has picked something that one guy on Hibs.net said in isolation and its extrapolated into this fairy story

Cheryl Cole Lol GIF by Top Talent

Anyone that uses the phrase "X was a boyhood fan of Y club hence would move in a flash" is a fanny.

As is anyone who believes that one guys post on a fans forum = "Hibs fans" view.

As is anyone who trawls other fans forums for this kind of shite......................

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Random has picked something that one guy on Hibs.net said in isolation and its extrapolated into this fairy story

Anyone that uses the phrase "X was a boyhood fan of Y club hence would move in a flash" is a fanny.

As is anyone who believes that one guys post on a fans forum = "Hibs fans" view.

As is anyone who trawls other fans forums for this kind of shite......................

Just twiddling my thumbs now, waiting for RG to produce the stats......

21 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I've seen Saints fan have similar blinded views so was talking generally rather than specific to Hibs fans views really.

As example Saints fans use European football as an example why a player would definitely be interested in signing for Saints over a similar other club. In reality a few qualifying round European trips to obscure countries is something fans dream of more than your average pro. 

Generally fans over exaggerate the appeal and in reality the professional picks the best £££.

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

1 minute ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Generally fans over exaggerate the appeal of things that appeal and in reality the professional picks the best £££.

Correct.

Lots of players are notionally fans of clubs - but in reality the better ones spend so much time playing as kids that their affinity is usually less than fans.

We all know that guys like Spoony and Darren McGregor loved winning the cup with their boyhood club......which is a brucey bonus......but the truth is that these guys would play anywhere if the money was good enough - its a job.

200.gif&key=a0c43afd277a4c46defc047d97de63e3648d4408d22d753e634537a6a1663591
Sorry, but I reckon Random could take you.

32 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Name your charity and I'll send the money immediately.

I’m sure one of your fellow fermers reckons I had a similar bet with him (which I can’t recall) so I’ll give him the ‘honour’.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m sure one of your fellow fermers reckons I had a similar bet with him (which I can’t recall) so I’ll give him the ‘honour’.

You're putting the future of my £10 in the hands of tree house tam? Bold move. Admirable really.

4 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

You're putting the future of my £10 in the hands of tree house tam? Bold move. Admirable really.

Hopefully he will stop moaning now!

Spoiler

He won’t...

30 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Correct.

Lots of players are notionally fans of clubs - but in reality the better ones spend so much time playing as kids that their affinity is usually less than fans.

We all know that guys like Spoony and Darren McGregor loved winning the cup with their boyhood club......which is a brucey bonus......but the truth is that these guys would play anywhere if the money was good enough - its a job.

I corrected my jumbled up last paragraph but you worked it out anyway! Agreed.