Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I don’t think that criticism that was given out to your manager four weeks ago could really be described as being dredged up from the end of time. As I said, I feel that Davidson has done a remarkable job this season and, although there’s no way he’s going to get it, he should be the Manager Of The Year. But I felt at the time that the negative stuff being dished out to him after losing for only, I think, the third time in four months was uncalled for. 

Is this said with not even a hint of irony?

From a supporter of a team whose fans have just hounded out their best manager in 30 years or so, who turned a bottom six team into top four every season with numerous semi finals,  finals and European matches along the way.

You’re pointing out Saints fans were overly critical of the manager about our approach to a one off match?!

56 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Is this said with not even a hint of irony?

From a supporter of a team whose fans have just hounded out their best manager in 30 years or so, who turned a bottom six team into top four every season with numerous semi finals,  finals and European matches along the way.

You’re pointing out Saints fans were overly critical of the manager about our approach to a one off match?!

A bit of Glasgow-type whataboutery there PP. You’ll not find me defending Aberdeen fans, the word “fickle” was invented for a huge part of our fanbase. I was going to finish my post with “what do you Saintees fans think you are, Dons fans?” as I thought that Saintees fans had more about them than to criticise your manager after one bad result in a fair chunk of the season, and after winning the League Cup for the first time in your history.

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

A bit of Glasgow-type whataboutery there PP. You’ll not find me defending Aberdeen fans, the word “fickle” was invented for a huge part of our fanbase. I was going to finish my post with “what do you Saintees fans think you are, Dons fans?” as I thought that Saintees fans had more about them than to criticise your manager after one bad result in a fair chunk of the season, and after winning the League Cup for the first time in your history.

Isn’t the point of the forum to discuss the club/matches we play though? Davidson got it wrong that day as he has done at other times this season, thankfully far fewer than the number of times he’s gotten things right. 

I don’t think pointing out mistakes managers have made on a football forum is particularly bad though and I don’t think any of the criticism was over the top on that occasion either. 

Next time we lose a match get yourself onto the St Johnstone banter page on Facebook. Some of the reactions on there are wild. 

9 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Yeah, theres a difference between "the manager got that wrong today" and painting "DEREK OUT!!!" on a bedsheet and hanging it at the ground, m8.

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, theres a difference between "the manager got that wrong today" and painting "DEREK OUT!!!" on a bedsheet and hanging it at the ground, m8.

Couldn’t agree more meight.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

It wasn’t just that though,you constantly slagged off  his formation and said  we were stick ons to go down,with 2 months to go

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

Wasn't intended as whataboutery, was more meaning the point that Kyle and RG have just made in the difference between criticising decisions in individual matches and 'get rid' type comments.

For the most part, I think Saints fans on here are quite well balanced when it comes to managers. On the fb page and a minority on the club specific site can be a lot more extreme. Earlier in the season, there was criticism directed at Davidson (deservedly in my opinion) being absolutely stubborn over a system which clearly was not working well at the time, but I didn't see anyone ask for him to be punted on here. Since Xmas, overall the manager has been phenomenal in his decision making and ability to adapt, and is fully deserving of all the praise he is currently receiving.

8 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

It wasn’t just that though,you constantly slagged off  his formation and said  we were stick ons to go down,with 2 months to go

Yeah, about 8 months ago when we had won about 1 game in 11 and were an absolute mess. The manager has clearly changed things and improved since then, the Aberdeen game was a step back, but I certainlydidn't demand his sacking after it, and I don't think I ever said he should be sacked even during that poor run. If you're arsed you'll see me defending him in the "Davidson out" thread started in Sep/Oct, but I guess that won't match this bizarre wee narrative in your head that I'm some villain you've to single handedly bring down, so you'll continue chasing me around the forum thinking I give the singlest f**k, tbh.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Wait, there was a 'Davidson out' thread??!!  Where was this, I don't remember seeing it?

On WAP.

The most pleasing thing for me on Sunday, was Davidson’s use of substitutes. You’ll find a few posts from me earlier in the season saying whilst he’s improved, the one thing he’s never done is alter a game off the bench. Well on Sunday he did it to spectacular effect. He strikes me as a manager who won’t change it unless absolutely necessary, compare that to Goodwin and Ross when things aren’t going well, where they’ve both ditched working shapes to the detriment of the team. We don’t get outplayed a lot which helps on that front, but I imagine now if we were ever at a point whereby we’re 2/3 goals down, Callum would do the right thing. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, about 8 months ago when we had won about 1 game in 11 and were an absolute mess. The manager has clearly changed things and improved since then, the Aberdeen game was a step back, but I certainlydidn't demand his sacking after it, and I don't think I ever said he should be sacked even during that poor run. If you're arsed you'll see me defending him in the "Davidson out" thread started in Sep/Oct, but I guess that won't match this bizarre wee narrative in your head that I'm some villain you've to single handedly bring down, so you'll continue chasing me around the forum thinking I give the singlest f**k, tbh.

Yet you reply! If you really watched our early games, you’d see we were rarely outplayed,indeed dominated most, but for poor finishing would’ve got more points. I don’t think you’re a villain,but an over reactionary p***k, that goes in every thread acting as an authority on all things football.It’s obvious you’ve never played, or you wouldn’t need a bar chart to tell you if someone can play or not. What’s your answer to saying we were stick ons for  relegation? 

4 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Yet you reply! If you really watched our early games, you’d see we were rarely outplayed,indeed dominated most, but for poor finishing would’ve got more points. I don’t think you’re a villain,but an over reactionary p***k, that goes in every thread acting as an authority on all things football.It’s obvious you’ve never played, or you wouldn’t need a bar chart to tell you if someone can play or not. What’s your answer to saying we were stick ons for  relegation? 

Yeah, I was on here saying we weren't far away from getting it right a few times, but we needed to stop taking so many long shots and plug the big gap between midfield and defence. If we didn't sort out those issues we'd be relegated. 

Funnily enough we sorted those issues and improved.

As for the bar charts, if you'd ever been involved with a club you'd understand the underlying process behind it is pivotal to save time when looking for the players, the bar chart side of it us just a hobby for me to visualise things for fun.

37 minutes ago, Old Pack said:

A hands up from me, I thought Davidson was out of his depth at the start of the season 

Well he probably was to be fair. What I couldn't understand at the time is why some supporters expected a rookie manager to have all the answers straight away. 

What's impressed me about Davidson is how brave he was to stick to his beliefs, and how quickly he's learned.

Still, he's only been a manager for 10 months or so and he's on a hell of a run that will end sometime. He'll still make plenty of mistakes. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

On WAP.

That Taxi for Davidson thread could be enough on its own to get WAP closed down. RG is one of calmer heads. If I had posted some of that nonsense I would have changed my username.  I don’t mind people criticising and not being impressed but that is a huge overreaction and as Radford pointed out some of it is from posters are usually calm heads.f

Edited by Bose

1 hour ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

I agree with the bit in bold, for sure. In saying that, in my opinion there has been quite a lot of fortune in both of our cup runs. The game against Dunfermline we were very poor and were lucky to go through on a shootout in the end. The Hibs game I thought we were dominated early on and were fortunate they didn’t score in the first half - the game would’ve likely been very different had that happened and we hadn’t managed to get the opener from a set piece. The Rangers game, nine times out of ten Zander doesn’t score in the last second. St Mirren missed several sitters in the semi just there that could have totally changed the game.

I think we’ve played exceptionally well in this second half of the season but I do think we’ve had a lot of good luck to take us through to two finals - which of course you need. I’m taking nothing away from Callum but, on another day, we lose all of those games IMO, as was happening at the start of the season.

We were frustrating to watch at the start of the season and I had the genuine fear when we lined up at Kelty we’d see a shock result.

The turnaround since Christmas has been remarkable.