Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Was sitting on my own after the game smiling to myself.

I got into football at 13, too late to bask in the glory of the 98 side. I’d watched some of their games but football wasn’t an interest.

My first real match as a fan was a 1-1 draw with Dundee in 2005. I was hooked.

I was 14, in school surrounded by Hibs, Hearts, United, Rangers and Celtic fans who’d laugh at little St Johnstone who’ve “won f**k all”.

2014, we won the cup and I cried.
2021 we won the league cup and I did the same.

I’ve a feeling of calm about this final. We’re 90 minutes from history, but to me we’ve made history so many times in the last 16 years.

If we win, I’ll likely cry again.

40 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

A word on Chris Kane.

After today he’s scored the same number of goals as Lawrence Shankland this season - but has only played just over 2/3rds the number of minutes that the Dundee Utd player has. His goals have been crucial too - strikes at Celtic Park, Ibrox and today at Hampden amongst them.

His numbers work out at a goal roughly every 2.75 90 minutes. For a guy who’s game is so much more than a goal scorer that’s not bad at all. His development this season has been phenomenal. Fair play to him.

Are you suggesting Chris Kane for Scotland? Who am I to disagree?

I think that what Callum Davidson has done this season is truly remarkable, and really, really hope that he can do the Cup double. But only four weeks ago, after Aberdeen had beaten the Saintees, there were St Johnstone fans on here questioning the way that Davidson had his team playing. Fitba fans are fickle.

51 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

A word on Chris Kane.

After today he’s scored the same number of goals as Lawrence Shankland this season - but has only played just over 2/3rds the number of minutes that the Dundee Utd player has. His goals have been crucial too - strikes at Celtic Park, Ibrox and today at Hampden amongst them.

His numbers work out at a goal roughly every 2.75 90 minutes. For a guy who’s game is so much more than a goal scorer that’s not bad at all. His development this season has been phenomenal. Fair play to him.

I really thought the winning goal would come from Rooney or Durmus in some way and they weren’t far off it a few times. It was a good battle. I never thought though that it would be be Kane especially after blasting over a couple of times. He’s improved his holding up play so much but doesn’t have the composure in front of goal. His touch though was a real strikers goal and gives hope that he keeps improving. 

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I think that what Callum Davidson has done this season is truly remarkable, and really, really hope that he can do the Cup double. But only four weeks ago, after Aberdeen had beaten the Saintees, there were St Johnstone fans on here questioning the way that Davidson had his team playing. Fitba fans are fickle.

I was one, and stand by it in regards to that game. His set up v Aberdeen was poor and cost us the game, ultimately he'll feel justified as the minutes given to players that day seem to have helped long term, but at the time it was a poor move and led to a defeat.

Its weird how you're not allowed to criticise anything ever, or it'll be dredged up until the end of time.

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I was one, and stand by it in regards to that game. His set up v Aberdeen was poor and cost us the game, ultimately he'll feel justified as the minutes given to players that day seem to have helped long term, but at the time it was a poor move and led to a defeat.

Its weird how you're not allowed to criticise anything ever, or it'll be dredged up until the end of time.

The game was there to be won and Callum thought it was acceptable to go down with a whimper. Of course we can criticise the manager when he fucks up and in my opinion he did in that game. Almost all had doubts earlier  the season, mostly because the system wasn't working and instead of tweaking it he plodded on. He has changed it though and we now have an A and a B plan with all players comfortable enough in each system.

Cracking result and what a season for you boys.
If he does the double does that make him better than Tommy Wright? Not for me right now but can't see him being there bear as long as Tommy on this form.
In the words of legendary man manager Jackie Macnamara 'it's easier to destroy than create', right after Sir Tommy created a generation of believers from a group of doubters.

These are heady times.

Thinking back to the early 80,s after today’s game ,getting beat by Albion Rovers I think at Muirton on a Wednesday night in front of 800 fans and dropping to second bottom of the league I think, maybe bottom and massive debt.

Thank f**k Geoff Brown and the rest of the Perth business men came along and saved us from oblivion 👍

Another top performance in a big game from Zander. Wotherspoon was excellent today though.

Oh yeah - Zander definitely deserves a mention from me given all the stick I give him. Was solid and made a top save. He seems to have gotten some confidence back and I think he’s improving as a result.

I thought we were pretty good yesterday, didn't hit the heights but that was to be expected after the disrupted week.

MOM for me was Booth, thought he was outstanding and really added something offensively - couldn't believe how quick he looked.

McCann was the other stand out, so many interceptions, an absolute Rolls Royce of a player.

Kane held it up well and outplayed Melamed (who looked off it). Unless Guy is only looking for a reasonable contract then I wouldn't be too upset if he left. Can absolutely see why CD has left him out of some of our big games - don't think he will start the final.

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don’t think that criticism that was given out to your manager four weeks ago could really be described as being dredged up from the end of time. As I said, I feel that Davidson has done a remarkable job this season and, although there’s no way he’s going to get it, he should be the Manager Of The Year. But I felt at the time that the negative stuff being dished out to him after losing for only, I think, the third time in four months was uncalled for. 

2 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:

I thought we were pretty good yesterday, didn't hit the heights but that was to be expected after the disrupted week.

MOM for me was Booth, thought he was outstanding and really added something offensively - couldn't believe how quick he looked.

McCann was the other stand out, so many interceptions, an absolute Rolls Royce of a player.

Kane held it up well and outplayed Melamed (who looked off it). Unless Guy is only looking for a reasonable contract then I wouldn't be too upset if he left. Can absolutely see why CD has left him out of some of our big games - don't think he will start the final.

Agreed, Booth was excellent. Melamed didn’t have much influence on the game at all and was rightfully hooked.

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I don’t think that criticism that was given out to your manager four weeks ago could really be described as being dredged up from the end of time. As I said, I feel that Davidson has done a remarkable job this season and, although there’s no way he’s going to get it, he should be the Manager Of The Year. But I felt at the time that the negative stuff being dished out to him after losing for only, I think, the third time in four months was uncalled for. 

We'd been poor in the first half of the season, he switched away from the ineffectual set up (at home) and it had improved. He then went back to the ineffective set up and we lost.

It's hardly like folk wanted him punted, it was just frustration that old mistakes had been repeated.

Potentially a cup double, 5th place and Europe on the cards. We've scored 7 goals from open play at home all season. A funny old game. 

Appreciate that the virus would have slowed up the renewals last week and they weren't a priority in those circumstances but hopefully movement this week. I see Clive was straight onto the old Twitter after the game bigging up Chris Kane. Still work to be done there? 

Things not looking rosy for Conway. He's only featured three times since the League Cup final and at 36 I wonder if they feel they've milked that last little bit out him in the first 6 months of the season. Greg Kiltie rumours still going about and he operates in the same areas. 

Money will always be a motivator but any player with the chance to come to Saints must be looking at Callum Davidson as a coach and thinking that this guy can improve me and help me progress on again. 

58 minutes ago, Radford said:

Potentially a cup double, 5th place and Europe on the cards. We've scored 7 goals from open play at home all season. A funny old game. 

Appreciate that the virus would have slowed up the renewals last week and they weren't a priority in those circumstances but hopefully movement this week. I see Clive was straight onto the old Twitter after the game bigging up Chris Kane. Still work to be done there? 

Things not looking rosy for Conway. He's only featured three times since the League Cup final and at 36 I wonder if they feel they've milked that last little bit out him in the first 6 months of the season. Greg Kiltie rumours still going about and he operates in the same areas. 

Money will always be a motivator but any player with the chance to come to Saints must be looking at Callum Davidson as a coach and thinking that this guy can improve me and help me progress on again. 

Think Conway's family are still down south and he has flat in Perth for the days he is here training etc. I would expect him to get a club back down the road