Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Although I didn’t want him out, I had serious doubts about Callum Davidson until our form eventually flipped on its head. I thought he was being deliberately close-minded by sticking with his style of football despite a lack of reward. Sure, he did made a few tweaks with the shape when introducing Melamed into the team, but we also look a lot more clinical with the 5-2-3 now as well. He stuck with his philosophy and he deserves huge acclaim for that. The rest is history. I was wrong. Callum is a great St Johnstone manager.

51 minutes ago, Bose said:

It’s about having a chairman/board that see the bigger picture.  Also have a look at the names you mentioned, all were young in managerial terms other than Wright who was assistant to Lomas.  The board do their homework and are confident in the work they have done

That's what's even more impressive though, none of these managers came with a track record. If it were that easy to appoint a young manager who would be successful then everyone would be doing it. I'd love to know exactly how they do it, what questions they ask at interview, what factors they take into account. 

23 minutes ago, Radford said:

They stick by managers. Many clubs would have sacked Derek McInnes at the start of 2008/09 or Steve Lomas when he went 14 games without a win. One ended that season with promotion, the other with third place in the top flight. 

Even this season, there were fans (I'll be polite) wanting Davidson sacked after a handful of games. 

I doubt sacking a manager has even crossed the mind of the board since Connolly. 

Good shout, they give their managers time. A lesson for everyone else.

IMO Lomas is only classed as a success because he left after one season. That was an unbelievable squad he had and it would've been hard for any manager to fail with it.

Edited by RandomGuy.

IMO Lomas is only classed as a success because he left after one season. That was an unbelievable squad he had and it would've been hard for any manager to fail with it.

I mean tbf to the guy he did sign a fair few of that squad! Hasselbaink / Macca / Tade / Abeid etc

1 minute ago, Zamora Fan said:

I mean tbf to the guy he did sign a fair few of that squad! Hasselbaink / Macca / Tade / Abeid etc

Abeid 😍

I don't think his style, or anything about his time at the club, was sustainable tbh. More than happy to admit I might be wrong, but I suspect he was lucky the dressing room was tight knit, otherwise there would've been a lot more issues during his time in charge.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

To dredge up that result considering the circumstances is unreal.

f**k knows how Davidson keeps this up next season.

Davidson will be off in the summer. 

P&K Council need to set up a fan zone. Pubs will be rammed, many will miss out due to distancing - get a fucking massive screen erected on the North Inch, get it ticketed and let the mulled wine flow down our gullets

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I'd love to know exactly how they do it, what questions they ask at interview, what factors they take into account. 

It's been easier in recent (well, 15) years because the team has always been going well and they've wanted continuity. 

They choose Coyle because he had contacts. Connolly had struggled to attract players, yet within days of signing, Coyle had persuaded the central defensive pairing that had just won the league with Falkirk to give up the SPL for Saints. 

McInnes had the contacts too but knew the squad. Lomas didn't have that in his favour but certainly had the contacts and Tommy Wright, like McInnes, offered a mix of both. Wright had been at big clubs in England and had worked as a coach at Norwich, which people overlook. 

Whether it's played a part, Davidson is the first one that is really highly regarded as a training ground coach but again, he offers the continuity and contacts. 

We'll see what happens when they need to appoint someone in harder circumstances, as that time will inevitably come.

Dont worry, by the time we have to replace Davidson, I'll have created a system to find us the next managerial gem. The Scottish League won't know whats hit it when Gustav Kelling, who took FC Rostov to 5th in the Russian 3rd tier with "good underlying numbers", rocks up.

On a side note...

Spoiler

884470483_allyballybee.thumb.png.658e20e957545b8a383fdfda12d7c937.png

Ballantyne looking good on paper now, and seems to be becoming better all round. Early doors on this system, but in theory the closer the top bars are to the dashed line, the better the CM will be in general, as they're "balanced". Probably time for him to step up from the 3rd tier next season, one way or another.

hendo.thumb.png.31dd276a0cb2d41deabeb51aa02f2acc.png

SIGN HIM

shields.thumb.png.d1ee4833cb27c4f87962d5717b19816a.png

I'm still not sold on Shields, at all. A lot of his goals are long range/unsustainable, and I'm entirely unconvinced about his ability to link play. Hes closer to a Middleton/MOH type, a player you bring on late on to stretch teams/go 1v1 than a lead the line centre forward, IMO. He oftens plays wide left for QOS.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

P&K Council need to set up a fan zone. Pubs will be rammed, many will miss out due to distancing - get a fucking massive screen erected on the North Inch, get it ticketed and let the mulled wine flow down our gullets

The Council need to do something IMO. There will be appetite for a fanzone of some description for sure. Mulled wine should be a certainty.

Just now, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

The Council need to do something IMO. There will be appetite for a fanzone of some description for sure. Mulled wine should be a certainty.

2 farmers and his dug. 

13 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Macca and Liam next on the conveyor belt  imo,after £ millions for Callum 

Liam is going with Callum! Mega £million deal, the first in the history of UK football i believe, Manager, assistant, 4 players  for £10million  job lot! 

A word on Chris Kane.

After today he’s scored the same number of goals as Lawrence Shankland this season - but has only played just over 2/3rds the number of minutes that the Dundee Utd player has. His goals have been crucial too - strikes at Celtic Park, Ibrox and today at Hampden amongst them.

His numbers work out at a goal roughly every 2.75 90 minutes. For a guy who’s game is so much more than a goal scorer that’s not bad at all. His development this season has been phenomenal. Fair play to him.