Kyle

Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

If it was Tommy watching and not CD then Sow would have been the most obvious one for him to be interested in.

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Cammy Kerr and Peter Pawlett.

Hud me fucking back.

Tbf considering how the agents of Tanser/Kane are acting, you should probably be glad it's the Kerr/Pawlett stories being leaked, as it's clear they won't actually be in talks with us.

10 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I had been told Cammy had an offer from a Premiership club and just sort of assumed it was Livingston. 

Fair play to him and his agent (and his lass) if he can get a move to the top league. Had a decent half a season 4 years ago and has lived off of it ever since with the "He's Dundee thru n thru" brigade. 

I think he'd be a lost cause. Not a particularly cheap one, either. 

Probably not us as we have Devlin at RB

St Johnstone manager Callum Davidson tells BBC Sportsound: "All credit to Clyde, they had a real go in the last 10 to 15 minutes.

"I thought our front three played really. They adapted really well together today.

On Guy Melamed: "He links the play really well and he's a goal scorer. We're trying to keep him but we might not be able to afford to. We're working hard to try do that if we can but we might get priced out."

Yeah I resigned to losing Guy some time ago. He will likely get plenty of strong offers from down south and that was likely his game plan. I just thank him for coming here in a pandemic by himself. To miss so many games and to be benched so often and yet he has stuck at it like a good pro. I’ll enjoy watching him for the remainder of the season. 

The next fortnight will play a part for Melamed as well. He has barely featured in any big games, which must help the part of the brain that says just follow the money. 

If he believed the manager really trusted him and wanted him as the man to lead the line in our biggest games, it offers far more incentive to stay.

I'm not saying the manager is necessarily wrong but from Melamed's point of view, that must be a factor.

The shape today made sense in that it allowed Melamed to play in it. Has he pushed himself into the reckoning for the upcoming Old Firm games? Questionable. 

I'd be surprised if Kane doesn't start on his own in both OF games coming up, definitely will v Rangers on Wednesday IMO.

I'd prefer us to start with Melamed in a two, as hes got an uncanny ability of getting shots off in the box, regardless of whats happening around him. Split second loose ball in the box and he could grab the goal that wins us the game, Kane/May don't offer that IMO.

It really does seem foolish not to be trying to get the best out of Melamed. He's a natural finisher.

Melamed's movement for that first goal. You also don't get that from May or Kane. 

To be fair, Stevie created the space with a good run.

May was heavily involved yesterday but one of those games where nothing really comes off. I do think it's a shame that he has such a reluctance to shoot at times. He still breaks into those channels he did 7 or 8 years ago but it never seems to even enter his head to just face up the defender and try and get a shot away. 

That used to be all he would do but he needs to find the middle ground between that and whatever it is that he thinks he's trying to do these days. 

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

May was heavily involved yesterday but one of those games where nothing really comes off. I do think it's a shame that he has such a reluctance to shoot at times. He still breaks into those channels he did 7 or 8 years ago but it never seems to even enter his head to just face up the defender and try and get a shot away. 

That used to be all he would do but he needs to find the middle ground between that and whatever it is that he thinks he's trying to do these days. 

I still mewl about it, but the Hamilton game (30/12/20)  was a real nadir moment. 6 shot, 0 on target, not a single one made any sense.

In the 3.5 months since, hes attempted just 5 shots in the league.

I'm probably wrong, but it felt like he could tell he was struggling for goals, folk were getting on his back for not just shooting, so against Hamilton he just skelped every single ball he could. When nothing happened hes just given up. Even when he gets shots off theres very little conviction in them.

I think I agree with the above, May hasn’t taken a player on successfully for seasons now. There was a time he’s quickly shift it and aim back post assuming it’ll go in or someone will get it. The movement is still there, but he’s not doing anything with it any more. The more I watch, the more I think he’s not worth another deal. 

Then again I don’t actually think Melamed is any better apart from the goals part. His movement is as good, but more importantly it’s in the right areas and he gets himself free in the box which May doesn’t. I don’t think Melameds link up play is anything special though, even yesterday against Clyde things were still bouncing off him at times. 

May is still an intelligent player, some good runs and wee flicks, but he's the highest paid player in the club's history by all accounts, so needs to offer a lot more than some nice little touches 40 yards from goal.

As if there was any doubt, the type of attacking options the manager has been interested in; Middleton and Pawlett, and the championing of O'Halloran at the start of the season, tell us all we need to know about our formation next season.

Quick players to play on either side of a front three, who will spend most of the match harrying and closing down.  Is Chris Kane the ideal player to be in the middle? He certainly brings the energy, workrate and makes the defenders' life hell, but I don't see where the goals are coming from in a Middleton Kane Pawlett front three.

Davidson wants his forwards to be very defensive minded, which is where Guy doesn't fit in at all.  He's already paving the way for Melamed leaving, hinting that we'll be priced out.  I'll be amazed but delighted if Guy is still here next season.

I've said it before, that 5-2-3/ 3-4-3 Davidson loves so much is fine against stronger opposition to stop them settling on the ball and building from the back, but it's nowhere near as effective for us in beating opposition at a similar or lesser level.  The next two matches are where it belongs.

I find it a hard watch in home matches, though I think it's made a lot worse by the fact that we have to watch on tv, might be better in person..

7 minutes ago, Widge said:

Then again I don’t actually think Melamed is any better apart from the goals part. His movement is as good, but more importantly it’s in the right areas and he gets himself free in the box which May doesn’t. I don’t think Melameds link up play is anything special though, even yesterday against Clyde things were still bouncing off him at times. 

This'll get me slated, but IMO Melamed is an average finisher at best.

Biggest thing about him is he's almost constantly in the right area when the ball comes in the box, so he'll inevitably get at least one decent chance every match.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This'll get me slated, but IMO Melamed is an average finisher at best.

Biggest thing about him is he's almost constantly in the right area when the ball comes in the box, so he'll inevitably get at least one decent chance every match.

Can you put up his shots and goals stats per minutes played and compare to Kane and May.  Whether it's due to positioning or finishing, or a combination of the two,  he's still still a far more effective goal threat than anyone else currently on our books.

45 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Can you put up his shots and goals stats per minutes played and compare to Kane and May.  Whether it's due to positioning or finishing, or a combination of the two,  he's still still a far more effective goal threat than anyone else currently on our books.

Yeah no bother, not sure when though as dogs getting a huge walk 😂

Agree he's by far our best goal threat.

I thought the same with Sandaza, fwiw. Doesn't strike the ball that well for some of his goals, although can score some screamers. Does miss chances, but seems to just constantly find space where the ball lands and gets his goal.

Edited by RandomGuy.