Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

My point was players have to change over time.

Craig's lost his legs a bit so now plays a deeper role.

Mays knees exploded so he now plays a less individual/explosive style, he can't outpace defenders now. It's why I constantly mewl about his long range efforts, he doesn't have that in him anymore. He needs to get in the box and feed off that, as you just have to think quicker than defenders rather than move quicker. He showed he could do that last season, but has lost his way this time around.

Plenty to criticise him for, but comparing him to what he was 7 years ago just feels pointless, to me. It's like complaining Craig doesn't score as much as he used to. It's virtually a different player in a different role.

I quite like the 2021 version of Stevie May but he’s not justifying being one of if not the top earner at the club. I think days of big money contracts are over for him and injury stopped him reaching his potential but it doesn’t mean he’s a poor player, IMO, just not what we’re paying a big wage for. 

Agree players have to adapt and change their style, but I don't think May ever had great pace. 

He had a phenomenal season, but I think it would have been a big ask to get close to that the season after. Everything he hit went in in 2013-14, and he got a confidence and swagger from that to shoot on sight.

I think of we had an all action, explosive goal scoring centre forward, possibly Nisbet at Hibs type, May would be a great foil as a second striker creating openings and chances for his teammate. Unfortunately we don't have that, and May was brought in on far too big a wage for someone else to be getting all the goals.

4 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I quite like the 2021 version of Stevie May but he’s not justifying being one of if not the top earner at the club. I think days of big money contracts are over for him and injury stopped him reaching his potential but it doesn’t mean he’s a poor player, IMO, just not what we’re paying a big wage for. 

This.

May is now the most creative striker outwith the OF in creating chances/goals.

He gets almost no credit for adapting his game around blowing his knees apart and still playing his part, and instead gets criticised for not being what he was 7 years ago. Craig turned into one of the best holding midfielders in the league, but doesn't get criticised for not scoring 5+ goals each season, like he did 7 years ago.

I'd be happy if May stayed, but has to be 2nd/3rd choice, and he couldn't be relied on as any form of goalscorer unless he also adapts his play off the ball. 

I don’t think anyone is criticising May for not being what he was seven years ago. Nobody expects that and there are reasons for it. There are legitimate criticisms to be made as to his current contribution to the team however which are being made perfectly reasonably. I’d have no issue with him staying as part of the squad but we’d need to sign a proper, dare is say marquee, striker in the summer.

This might be incredibly harsh thing to say but I’d suggest Liam Craig has the intelligence (humility?) to adapt his game as he has. Does May? Not sure.

3 minutes ago, Costanza said:

This might be incredibly harsh thing to say but I’d suggest Liam Craig has the intelligence (humility?) to adapt his game as he has. Does May? Not sure.

As I said, he now creates more chances per90 than any non-OF striker in the division.

How is that him not adapting his game?

He's never been a lone striker, even before his injury, yet seems to have played that role the majority of his second spell here. As a 2 he's swapped from the goalscorer to creator, and has shown he can play that role to a decent level.

His wages, and the expectations of him, are the biggest problem for him if he stays.

Could May potentially play behind the strikers? Let’s face it, you don’t need pace to do that role and for all his faults he’s much better at passing the ball than taking a man on. If you give him a floating role I think he’d be fine, albeit currently you’d need to drop Spoony for him and under no circumstances should that happen. 

Just listening to the podcast episode and they've mentioned something Rooney tweeted at the weekend, I seem to have missed this, can any one say what it was or was in in relation to?

May’s vision and awareness is head and shoulders above anybody else in the team. See for example Conway’s goal at Hamilton that May set up - he just knew his team mate was making the run and laid it on a plate for him. I really wish he’d get himself between the posts more often to try and get on the end of some of his team mates’ assists though...

9 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:

I'm pretty sure he will have triggered another year ( albeit less money than first two years due to not hitting goal target).
I'm positive it was 2 years with option of a 3rd year if appearances were hit etc

He definitely has a third year option, but the general though was it was goals based and not appearances which he wouldn’t have met. If it’s a case of he scores X amount of goals he gets £X and he scored Y amount of goals and he gets £Y, then that’s absolutely fine and the club have been very clever. I’ve no issue with him staying on a lesser amount to be honest, so that could work in both parties favour. 

He definitely has a third year option, but the general though was it was goals based and not appearances which he wouldn’t have met. If it’s a case of he scores X amount of goals he gets £X and he scored Y amount of goals and he gets £Y, then that’s absolutely fine and the club have been very clever. I’ve no issue with him staying on a lesser amount to be honest, so that could work in both parties favour. 
Looks like there's some contract news coming this week. If Guy isn't stay I suspect Stevie will.