Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

38 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

My lucky number is 32 and I therefore turned the television volume up to 32 for the cup final on Sunday. I didn’t realise at the time of Rooney’s goal because I was so caught up in the moment, but the chills went right through me when I later realised that he scored in the 32nd minute. God is real. And his name is Shaun Rooney.

You're also 3'2"

4 hours ago, perthsaints99 said:

EvWQ2b_XEAAi7PE.thumb.jpeg.c87cfe845897d6bf155fbdd64e4ddbb5.jpg.316e69199f04cfcd538c99443053f5e8.jpg

Taken from the match thread. 

From their CEO no less. Glorious.

Can't believe I haven't seen this until now. He's since made his Twitter private and removed any mention of his position at Livi from his bio.

I seen that tweet and thought it was just some sore loser fan and thought nothing more of it....

On 01/03/2021 at 13:53, The Real Saints said:

What are your thoughts on the Saints fans gathering outside McDiarmid Park last night? It has caused quite the commotion.

Probably not my place to get involved, but I thought it was brilliant and the sort of thing the St Johnstone fans who did go along will remember for the rest of their lives, rather than telling the grandkids "oh yes I sat at home because there were 97 cases of coronavirus (mind that?) in Perth and Kinross that week".

Probably not my place to get involved, but I thought it was brilliant and the sort of thing the St Johnstone fans who did go along will remember for the rest of their lives, rather than telling the grandkids "oh yes I sat at home because there were 97 cases of coronavirus (mind that?) in Perth and Kinross that week".

I sat at home because I was too drunk to move.

And because my Rangers supporting girlfriend needed to be repeatedly reminded we’d one more trophies than them in the last decade.

Guy Melamed is a proper goal scoring centre forward.  He didn’t do a lot in all round play but he had 2 really good efforts on target in the first half that the keeper saved, and also a header the keeper tipped round the post just after the break. 

He then pops up with a brilliant equaliser late on.

5 goals in about 12 league games, with 2 assists. Apparently his ratio per 90 minutes is 0.78.  Only Edouard and Roofe have better, both on 0.79.

Get that 2-3 year contract in front of him right away.

7 hours ago, mizfit said:

I sat at home because I was too drunk to move.

And because my Rangers supporting girlfriend needed to be repeatedly reminded we’d one more trophies than them in the last decade.

We’ve won more trophies than both Rangers’ in the last decade.

Tonight’s result wasn’t ideal, though probably expected after Sunday, but top 6 is far from over yet.

If Rangers beat St Mirren by a couple and we beat Hibs, then we beat County and St mirren draw or lose v Accies, we would finish above them. 
Utd have Celtic and Aberdeen and we just need them to lose one. 

St Mirren obviously favourites, but I still fancy us to sneak it.

St Mirren (39 pts, -5 GD):  Rangers (A), Accies (A)

Dundee Utd (35 pts, -15 GD): Celtic (H), Aberdeen (H)

Saints (34 pts, -8 GD): Hibs (H), Ross County (H)

22 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Guy Melamed is a proper goal scoring centre forward.  He didn’t do a lot in all round play but he had 2 really good efforts on target in the first half that the keeper saved, and also a header the keeper tipped round the post just after the break. 

He then pops up with a brilliant equaliser late on.

5 goals in about 12 league games, with 2 assists. Apparently his ratio per 90 minutes is 0.78.  Only Edouard and Roofe have better, both on 0.79.

Get that 2-3 year contract in front of him right away.

Need to get the lad signed up. Goal scorers are the hardest position to find at our level. Also his wife is very decent so 102B6675-09B1-444C-AAD2-4509D8009B27.png.1023e8b3477c6f2c917461c88cd11bc3.png

26 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

@RandomGuy. will be along to tell us that it's unsustainable and burst our bubble but I agree about his performance. A game that was a bit scrappy but he forces the goalkeeper into three proper saves and scores a brilliant goal.

Actually thought when they got the ball into his feet he linked it up alright too. And Stevie May was important to how we played (well) in first half. 

No reason to be down about much in that team performance after the weekend IMO. 

15 minutes ago, Radford said:

@RandomGuy. will be along to tell us that it's unsustainable and burst our bubble but I agree about his performance. A game that was a bit scrappy but he forces the goalkeeper into three proper saves and scores a brilliant goal.

Before tonight his "xG performance" was 122%, which is around the figure it seems to start becoming unsustainable, but also the figure Steven MacLean sat at for 2 seasons. 

Suspect he might actually drop closer to 100% tonight considering he had a few good chances before his 1 goal.

14 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

And it's absolutely heartbreaking 😞

Its all Mays doing, IMO.

May had 5 touches in the box, and Melamed had 6. Melamed gets a goal, has 5 shots, and hits the target with 3, May doesn't have a single shot. 

I'm probably now stuck in a rut with regards to him, but his positioning is pointless off the ball, half the time hes standing in an area where he poses zero threat. Its like hes scared of getting chances incase he misses them.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Was thinking that when I posted it, as he’s currently outperforming Morelos and Griffiths in goals/minute.  Just have to enjoy it while it lasts!

Morelos is notorious for underperforming his xG. Its why I'm curious to see how he'd get on in a team less dominant than Rangers. 

Obviously havent factored in tonight, but as long as Melamed keeps getting chances theres a chance he can sustain his goal return.

Hendry was scoring lots from little last season which is why I thought that was unsustainable, Melamed is scoring lots from lots. Hes hits the target regularly in games.

Just now, Radford said:

Stevie May sets up the Melamed near post chance with a great touch and turn. Thought he was a good link between middle and front in first half. 

Yeah I'm probably just now stuck with an idea and unfairly putting that on him. 

I just feel like he ends up in spaces where you'd rather have Wotherspoon, and in doing so removes a goal threat as hes got less quality plus means theres a man less central.

I’m inclined to agree about May. He’s not the hungry goal threat Melamed is, and he’s nowhere near Kane has been performing as a focal point of the attack.
As mentioned, he does have some nice touches, such as where he set Guy up in the first half, and is an intelligent player. Not a bad squad player to have, but he’s a bit of a luxury at times, and quite an expensive one at that.

At the minute he’d be my third choice to keep out of the three I’m afraid, and It would have to be on massively reduced terms.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Before tonight his "xG performance" was 122%, which is around the figure it seems to start becoming unsustainable, but also the figure Steven MacLean sat at for 2 seasons. 

Suspect he might actually drop closer to 100% tonight considering he had a few good chances before his 1 goal.

Its all Mays doing, IMO.

May had 5 touches in the box, and Melamed had 6. Melamed gets a goal, has 5 shots, and hits the target with 3, May doesn't have a single shot. 

I'm probably now stuck in a rut with regards to him, but his positioning is pointless off the ball, half the time hes standing in an area where he poses zero threat. Its like hes scared of getting chances incase he misses them.

May done a lot of the running to create space for Guy. As Radford says he set up a chance by great foot work, he also did the one two for another of his shots. Guy needs a hard worker beside him imo.