Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

21 minutes ago, Radford said:

What would cap the season more for folk, robbing St Mirren of the last top six spot or relegating Tommy Wright?

Can we not be greedy and have both? If anyone can find a way it's this St Johnstone team.

Edited by Kyle

What are your thoughts on the Saints fans gathering outside McDiarmid Park last night? It has caused quite the commotion.

I’ve got to be honest, I was very surprised that police didn’t seem prepared for it.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

All three of those trophies were won in the manager’s first season in charge, which throws up the difficult but necessary question...

should we sack Callum and bring in a new manager now, or wait until May in order to guarantee the title next season?!

All 3 replaced a manager who thought they were going onto bigger and better things, but never really got there, too...

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

What are your thoughts on the Saints fans gathering outside McDiarmid Park last night? It has caused quite the commotion.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

I’ve got to be honest, I was very surprised that police didn’t seem prepared for it.

Bit stupid under current situation and we cannot say it was just youngsters going by the auld guys in photos who should have had more sense.

More ammunition for Scottish Government to have a pop at Football and delay us getting back.

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

Mostly those of a younger age who probably haven't been following the rules much anyway and all came via the house parties they were already having anyway.

Wasn't bothered about it intially but hearing steward and Policeman injured which is quite disappointed.

Did wonder when quite a few police cars flew passed me, blue lighting to McDiarmid etc at the time I was wondering surely that's a bit over the top but if someone got injured then it makes a bit more sense!

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

I say fair play, if you can't release some euphoria when you win a national trophy when can you?

And to folk who mention police/stewards getting injured? I'd leave it out until you know the details.

Jobsworths falling over when being overzealous? I can live with that.

Innocent stewards stabbed in the puss with a lit flare? Not so much.

Stewards/police probably got injured piling into a bunch of 12yo kids who were causing no bother, tbh. Usually how it goes at the football.

Is that definitely the case though?

I noticed in the two page chairman’s statement Tam posted a few pages back that the league being decided on Ppg cost us money as we had to pay out bonuses to all the squad and coaching staff, but never got any of the extra income from bigger crowds post-split.

By the sound of it, the increased prize money for 6th over 7th alone isn’t enough.

Possibly the club have taken that into account when agreeing bonuses this season, but I don’t think anyone would have predicted no crowd this long; most of us were talking about sep-Oct last year as a reasonable guess.

Just had a look on the Dundee thread to see how their season is going, as I’d quite like to see them get promoted, and there’s a 200+ word rant about how little we matter to them.  Though I think there was maybe a bit of goading from a Saints poster!

The Dundee lad even went to great pains to point out how much he celebrated Stevie May scoring when we won the cup.  I didn’t have the heart to point out he didn’t, it was disallowed.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Stewards/police probably got injured piling into a bunch of 12yo kids who were causing no bother, tbh. Usually how it goes at the football.

Someone has thumbed down your post but did witness the police driving a van, admittedly very slowly right through the crowd and forced the van between the crowd and walkway to block a path through.

Probably not going to hurt anyone but did think is that really necessary and was only going antagonise people. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

2 hours ago, Radford said:

Which set of fans seem to have taken yesterday the hardest? 

Difficult to see past Dundee United IMO.

Not just any United fans as well, the Fife & Perth based United fans have taken it extremely badly.

Incredible online meltdowns. Every time Jim Spence and co post about Saints it's full of greeting United fans. Comical. 

8 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Perfect in what way? Restricting Livvy?

Yeah I've got a boring opinion piece on it I'll double check tomorrow before doing anything with, which is probably all wrong and just bullshit, but set up forced Livi long while also removing them winning second balls in our half as Craig/McCann could sit relatively deep when their CBs had the ball.

They split their CMs a lot when their CBs have it, push their FBs right up, meaning they congest that cental area but also drag a CM out of position, opening up a route from CB to ST, but our shape fucked that up for them.

Don't think we create enough when using it, but when we're so dominant aerial against them then forcing them long and playing for a goal at a set piece is a really good tactic IMO.