Kyle

Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

After last weekend and us asking questions of Dundee United, please say we had covers on the pitch before the snow of last night and secondly someone has remembered to put the undersoil heating on.

You just know whats going to happen on Saturday.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

After last weekend and us asking questions of Dundee United, please say we had covers on the pitch before the snow of last night and secondly someone has remembered to put the undersoil heating on.

You just know whats going to happen on Saturday.

On that subject, was it not suggested by a groundsman before that for snow it's best to leave it on the grass until near kick off as long as you then have the man power to shovel it away etc? 

It effectively insolated it? 😕 I swear I heard that on the radio and was apparently coming from a groundsman 😂

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

On that subject, was it not suggested by a groundsman before that for snow it's best to leave it on the grass until near kick off as long as you then have the man power to shovel it away etc? 
It effectively insolated it?  I swear I heard that on the radio and was apparently coming from a groundsman
Would certainly be the best solution if frost was forecast on pitches without USH.

After conceding from both attempts on target the other night, I found the save percentage (from shots in target) figures for teams. Saints are unsurprisingly languishing behind everyone else with just 56% of shots on target being saved.

The frustration is we don't give up many shots on target - ranked fifth and have played two games more than Livingston and Aberdeen who are just ahead of us - so if we had a goalkeeper performing to simply an average level, we'd have conceded around 21 goals this season, as opposed to 33 goals.

Given how tight a lot of our games are, that's potentially a lot of points! 

It really is a losing battle trying to stay/be positive about the goalkeeper. 

1 hour ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

It effectively insolated it? 😕 I swear I heard that on the radio and was apparently coming from a groundsman 😂

With Covid restrictions who would they get in the move the snow from the pitch?

I guess the usual call to fans would not be possible?

Come and move the snow from the pitch but please be away from the stadium before 1.30 would get a lot of offers of help.

52 minutes ago, Radford said:

After conceding from both attempts on target the other night, I found the save percentage (from shots in target) figures for teams. Saints are unsurprisingly languishing behind everyone else with just 56% of shots on target being saved.

The frustration is we don't give up many shots on target - ranked fifth and have played two games more than Livingston and Aberdeen who are just ahead of us - so if we had a goalkeeper performing to simply an average level, we'd have conceded around 21 goals this season, as opposed to 33 goals.

Given how tight a lot of our games are, that's potentially a lot of points! 

It really is a losing battle trying to stay/be positive about the goalkeeper. 

Would Zander make the save Seigrist did against Melamed in the second half? I don't think he would.

Although there were multiple folk to blame before Clark for Shanklands goal you still have to question why he hasn't got to it imo.

Clark has regressed so far that even die hard Saints fans call him clownshoes,  that tells you all you need to know about his abilities. 

19 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

With Covid restrictions who would they get in the move the snow from the pitch?

I guess the usual call to fans would not be possible?

Come and move the snow from the pitch but please be away from the stadium before 1.30 would get a lot of offers of help.

Guess not. 

People would offer no doubt but can't see it being allowed. 

1 minute ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

No doubt Zander has been at fault for a few however it also tends to be when we give up a chance it is a guilt edged one

I'm sure he does feel bad about it afterwards, but it's gilt.

Clarks been shit, but against United one goal is an unmarked player 6 yards out. Against County the goal comes from an unmarked player 12 yards out. Aberdeen a penalty and a player with a free shot 12 yards out. Against St Mirren 2 free headers from 6 yards and an unmarked player 12 yards out.

Rangers a travesty of a performance from Clark, but again for the first you've got Roofe unmarked to tap in. Second Kamara allowed to run in the box unchallenged to be 1v1.

The rest of the team shouldn't escape criticism, they've been woeful defensively this season.

2 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

No doubt Zander has been at fault for a few however it also tends to be when we give up a chance it is a guilt edged one

While I don't want to just bash him as at times defensively we have just vanished, particularly when the ball drops at the edge of the box. 

From the top of my head....

He should have saved:

1. Rangers third goal
  2. United's first goal this week
  3. Livi's second goal away from home earlier in the season. 

Should have done much better with:

1. County's goal
  2. Rangers first goal.

There's been countless occasions where he's came flying out and flailed at crosses trying to punch them and made a bit of a mess as well, including punching one backwards away to St. Mirren. For a big tall guy, he's not very good with a high ball. 

Its more than a few and confidence does seem really low - I have faith that he's capable at playing at this level though. 

He did redeem himself in the County game in the second half by making a couple of good saves to even get a point. More often than not though he doesn't bail us out and it ends up in the net. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Can't agree he should be saving Uniteds first, it's hit from 6 yards out, and is going away from him, how many times do keepers save those when its low? The only person at major fault for that goal is Rooney IMO.

Uniteds keeper saving from Melamed in the second half isn't similar at all. It's further out, straight at him, with less power.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can't agree he should be saving Uniteds first, it's hit from 6 yards out, and is going away from him, how many times do keepers save those when its low? The only person at major fault for that goal is Rooney IMO.

Uniteds keeper saving from Melamed in the second half isn't similar at all. It's further out, straight at him, with less power.

Disagree that it's solely Rooney's fault. Liam Craig watches the midfielder run straight past him and doesn't react until it's too late. It's the same issue as against Ross County, leaving players unmarked in and around the box.

9 minutes ago, Widge said:

Disagree that it's solely Rooney's fault. Liam Craig watches the midfielder run straight past him and doesn't react until it's too late. It's the same issue as against Ross County, leaving players unmarked in and around the box.

He does react tbf, he's just too slow for it to matter. He's also got two players who are in-between him and the boy who sets up the goal.

Rooney literally runs away from someone 6 yards out.

xG conceded for that goal was 0.52, meaning 52% of the time you'd expect a goalkeeper to concede it.

Only Kanes goal was rated as a better chance, from the goalkeepers side of things.

I'm all for saying Clark isn't good enough and concedes too easily, as he clearly does, but I don't think its justified based on the United game.

FWIW Clarks figures are incredibly close to McCrories at Livingstons, just a bit worse.

They replaced McCrorie with Stryjek, whos coming out as one of the best in the league, we stuck with Clark...

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW Clarks figures are incredibly close to McCrories at Livingstons, just a bit worse.

They replaced McCrorie with Stryjek, whos coming out as one of the best in the league, we stuck with Clark...

McCrorie is shocking as well. So many errors, he never seems to be making any actual good saves. We'd been begging the club to give Stryjek his chance for ages and he only got it once McCrorie got COVID ffs

31 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

McCrorie is shocking as well. So many errors, he never seems to be making any actual good saves. We'd been begging the club to give Stryjek his chance for ages and he only got it once McCrorie got COVID ffs

Yeah McCrorie comes out really shite from numbers alone tbh, Stryjek looks a massive improvement.

McCrorie conceded every 2.22 shots faced, per90, second worst rate of any keeper (min.800minutes) since 2015/16.

Guess who the worst is...