Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Tony Watt
Ok, was doing ok with us, offered new deal. A decent deal that would have made him one of our top earners.
He then plays a few clubs off against saints and wants Tommy to up the money, Tommy does then again, he goes round other clubs to try and get more.
Tommy gets wind of this, but deal still on table for Watt.
He doesn't sign it then says can't train as has an injury.
Saints physio team and doctors can't find injury.
Saints get independent second opinion and they can't find injury.
Watt gets his own medical advice and they advise that there is and injury and he stops training hence never seen again.
Hope Tommy gets the job at Motherwell as I don't think Tommy would have him around the place.

1 hour ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Tony Watt
Ok, was doing ok with us, offered new deal. A decent deal that would have made him one of our top earners.
He then plays a few clubs off against saints and wants Tommy to up the money, Tommy does then again, he goes round other clubs to try and get more.
Tommy gets wind of this, but deal still on table for Watt.
He doesn't sign it then says can't train as has an injury.
Saints physio team and doctors can't find injury.
Saints get independent second opinion and they can't find injury.
Watt gets his own medical advice and they advise that there is and injury and he stops training hence never seen again.
Hope Tommy gets the job at Motherwell as I don't think Tommy would have him around the place.

Imagine he was faining the injury because he'd already signed his deal to head off to Bulgaria? 

7 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Record reporting we made an approach to sign Eamonn Brophy on a pre contact. 

That's not a good sign.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

He must be on the last page of that extensive contact book......

Suppose it shows we have some money to spend though.

3 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

I'm confused, is Brophy bad now? 

I get he's not scotlands saviour but surely he'd be good for us given our disaster up front? 

Moot as he's off to St mirren anyway 

Considering he's rejected offers from Aberdeen/Hibs, it's probably safe to say he'd be our highest earner.

Is he worth that?

Not for me. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Considering he's rejected offers from Aberdeen/Hibs, it's probably safe to say he'd be our highest earner.

Is he worth that?

Not for me. 

I'd think that saints offered him what they felt he was worth, rather than focussed on who else was interested. I'm not unhappy with us trying to sign a 1/4 striker in the premier league, he's a marked improvement on Kane and right now Hendry for sure. Suggests to me that Callum actually knows exactly what he wants in terms of signings and shows that we are actually planning ahead, despite people thinking we aren't.

The biggest question I've got is, where does this leave Stevie May. You'd assume that Brophy wouldn't be cheap and depending on the formation we play you've got one up front. Do I think we can get a better player than May within our budget, no. Do I think we can get a better striker within our budget, yup I really do.

7 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Still isn't a striker you'd expect to score many from crosses into the box though...

See this I agree with, but also disagree with at the same time. Whilst we still throw the ball in the box occasionally, it's certainly stopped from the start of the season. Even the teams under Wright and Lomas were prone to launching pointless balls in the box. 

However, Brophy is the kind of striker saints haven't had since young Stevie May. A player with confidence, backs his ability and will take a shot when he gets the first chance. May doesn't do that any more, Kane couldn't if he tried and Hendry has had all his confidence evaporate. I don't necessarily think Brophy is the correct player for saints, but I'm not disappointed in the slightest we tried to get him. It shows good thinking and forward planning from saints to me. 

Just now, Widge said:

will take a shot when he gets the first chance. 

My head would literally explode if we signed him due to this.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My head would literally explode if we signed him due to this.

Haha, I figured as much. Whilst I don't agree with the sentiment or practice of a striker doing it, he'd offer something different to what we have. Average at best at this level, but it's sad that it's still better than our current squad. 

27 minutes ago, Widge said:

Haha, I figured as much. Whilst I don't agree with the sentiment or practice of a striker doing it, he'd offer something different to what we have. Average at best at this level, but it's sad that it's still better than our current squad. 

Maybe, he's just Chris Kane if Kane could hit the target, IMO.

FWIW I'm just waiting for the news we're trying to get Matty Kennedy on loan. Feels about the right time frame for that to happen, although re-signing wingers may have just been a TW trait.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW I'm just waiting for the news we're trying to get Matty Kennedy on loan. Feels about the right time frame for that to happen, although re-signing wingers may have just been a TW trait.

As long as we don't sign him and play him at wing back like Mcinnes has done. 

Him and Spoony in the front 3 would be decent & the kind of player who's suit that role... 😜

Can't see him being remotely available though! 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's how I view Brophy too. He's a decent enough player but he's similar to what we already have and would have been one of our most expensive players.

Encouraged that's the level we're looking at but I don't think he's exactly what we need right now.