Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The header was a good save and follows on from the one against Accies but we can't just gloss over the County goal.

I've been a long-term critic of Clark and the Rangers game should have been the final straw but when he was picked against Aberdeen, vowed to treat it as day one for him.

Three games in and he's left you wondering what the hell he's doing. As instinctive a trade as goalkeeping is, you also need a cool head; he's just shat himself when the ball came towards him.

Going forward we need a change there.

21 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I don’t think Clark looked too clever at the County goal obviously, but his defence have thrown him under the bus there. He’s put in a scenario of having to prevent his own man putting it last him from three yards away and then his midfield having left a guy standing in yards of space at the edge of the box. Madness.

That's how I saw it as well.  Clark panicked, but sportscene were saying just pick it up, and you think that looking at the slow replay.  In reality, he had a crowd of bodies around him with a County attacker either side, and obviously felt he had to react immediately.  Awful clearance as it was, Draper must have been standing there grinning at him he had so much time and space.

The way our season has gone, the surprising thing is he didn't blast it straight off one of the defenders surrounding him to rebound into the net.

IMG_1147.thumb.PNG.36d3e9fbbf1777d8b6fd087145f4304c.PNG

Hadn't seen your reply @Radford, agree it's awful by Clark to panic like that, but everything about that goal is poor.

Even the throw in; into the strikers feet to play it back first time for the cross. It's absolute Bobby basics that you have someone a few yards in front of the thrower to stop the cross when it's a throw in around your own box.

As Tam says, that just screams a lack of organisation.

The picture is the wide player just taking a touch and about to lay it back:IMG_1151.thumb.PNG.78ee8acc6595bf5746dff26b4a598d59.PNG

Edited by PauloPerth
To add picture

I was giving Davidson the benefit of the doubt until recently because it appeared the players were well coached but you have to start questioning that with the types of goals we keep conceding and the areas that we see are exploitable on a weekly basis which haven’t been addressed.  I’d argue the strikers have benefited from Maclean’s coaching in terms of link up and holding the ball up but the finishing has regressed at an alarming rate. Sclaffs and weak efforts galore. 

Can anyone tell me what shape we were playing at the end of the game yesterday? After Bryson came on I couldn’t work it out and that’s when we looked in real danger of losing all 3 points, we basically gave up the foothold that we had and I don’t really understand why. It’s not like a point helped us with points pending for Hamilton and Motherwell. 

this is a big month for Saints. Davidson needs to bring in decent quality and ship out (mostly his own) rubbish. He also needs to show that he understands the danger that we’re currently in. Pretty football without substance needs parked and we need to get back to scrapping for points.  His post match interviews need a change in tone as I don’t see that guy getting us out of danger. 

This team reminds me of that dreadful Partick Thistle side that reckoned they were Barcelona and Neil McCann’s Dundee. Both of those sides were ultimately relegated after believing ‘things would come good’ and that they were too good to go down. They weren’t and we’re definitely not. 

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Hadn't seen your reply @Radford, agree it's awful by Clark to panic like that, but everything about that goal is poor.

Even the throw in; into the strikers feet to play it back first time for the cross. It's absolute Bobby basics that you have someone a few yards in front of the thrower to stop the cross when it's a throw in around your own box.

As Tam says, that just screams a lack of organisation.

The picture is the wide player just taking a touch and about to lay it back:IMG_1151.thumb.PNG.78ee8acc6595bf5746dff26b4a598d59.PNG

Letham up 7 acres defend throw ins better than that. Allowing the simple throw in so easily needs sorted out asap. 

Another issue in the box as well caused by the 2 in midfield. County commit 2 into the box occupying 2 of our 3 central defenders with the other covering the near post area. Leaving man on edge free meaning MOH needs to drop in and pick that man up on the edge. He's probably instructed to stay high though for the counter. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Clark made some great saves late on against County but they are from headers six yards out. If he was more commanding then he should be out punching those away. He is always stuck on his line...he is a big lad, should be getting folk out of his way and clearing it.

Raging at the space Draper has there. Randoom has highlighted on Twitter just how many times we’ve done that, and conceded, yet nothing changes.

As for Kyle’s remark about Partick, here’s what one of their fans said:
“The lower leagues arent the problem, its having a team that are garbage back-to-front in whatever league you're in that kills enthusiasm. Watching a team fling in goals at set pieces, struggle to make chances (and then struggle to score what is created), let teams run through your midfield like butter etc. etc. All are recurring themes from the top flight relegation season to the seaside league we're in now.”

Finally, we have 38 games to play and so there’s plenty of time to find our form and get a few results. We can’t be certain that the government won’t panic and shut things down again. We are perilously close to where we do not want to be, good squad or not, should there be something similar like the end to last season. Poor management from CD to have us in this position? So many frustrations, as many have already articulated whether by what we have witnessed or by statistics.

Screenshot_20210104-095152_Chrome.thumb.jpg.83d6861afd5e26353d831b3e5c89ce40.jpg

We're fucked.

It seems like those inside the club genuinely believe consistently leaving a player free inside the box is "bad luck".

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Zander did well to keep the first one out though, don’t you know. 

Would claim it was a bizarre article, but nothing compares to him talking about going to the Euros while being, statistically, the worst keeper the top flight has seen in at least 5 years.

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Here it comes folks:-

Motherwell have sounded out former St Johnstone manager Tommy Wright about filling the Fir Park vacancy. (Sun)

I'm struggling to care, tbh.

Everyone has moved on and that's what happens. The worst bit will be the mewling from folk complaining Davidson isn't matching Wright, as if it wasnt TW who walked away.

Edited by RandomGuy.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Everyone has moved on and that's what happens. The worst bit will be the mewling from folk complaining Davidson isn't matching Wright, as if it wasnt TW who walked away.

It would be like if your wife left you and then you saw them in the street a year later with an ugly runt of a man. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20210104-095152_Chrome.thumb.jpg.83d6861afd5e26353d831b3e5c89ce40.jpg

We're fucked.

It seems like those inside the club genuinely believe consistently leaving a player free inside the box is "bad luck".

You'll excuse me if I don't take the words of our goalkeeper who probably isn't even involved in that section of training, as a barometer for our coaching. 

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

You'll excuse me if I don't take the words of our goalkeeper who probably isn't even involved in that section of training, as a barometer for our coaching. 

I'm more just worried about a player talking about "bad luck".

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm more just worried about a player talking about "bad luck".

That I agree with, don't get me wrong some of it is bad luck (i.e Aberdeen Penalty, Harsh red card vs St Mirren, etc) but in general it's mistakes which could easily be cut out by going back to basics. I think this is the thing with Davidson, he's clearly to train them into a new system, but actually they struggle with simple things most of the time and that's why we were previously so successful. Solid, robust, keep it easy and reap the rewards. 

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Same boat in general terms.  I think it'll be good to have him back in the league.

My disappointment would simply be he's  a competent manager who will most likely do enough to get Motherwell clear of trouble.  We want as many teams with failing managers in poor form around us as possible.

With Hughes getting a reaction from the County players, Livi almost out of sight since Martindale took over, Goodwin and Mellon looking fairly capable, you're really only looking at Rice at Accies and Dyer at Killie as managers who are struggling, though both have had decent results recently.

Form can obviously change.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would claim it was a bizarre article, but nothing compares to him talking about going to the Euros while being, statistically, the worst keeper the top flight has seen in at least 5 years.

It's their attempt a clickbait. It gets all the Dundee folk clicking it while saying "on about St. Johnstone agaaaain?!"

And Saints fans clicking it wondering if he's on drugs. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

What was the script with Watt and Wright at yous? Heard a few people make it out as if there was some massive bust up but given he played 30 odd games for St Johnstone it doesn't seem like that's entirely the case. Fwiw he's been our best player this season so if Wright does come in it would probably be beneficial if they could form some sort of working relationship.