Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

As well as all the good points raised here, how many goals have we actually scored, or even chances have we created, on the counter if that is the intention of the 5-2-3?

Not including today, our xG created from counters was 4.95, 3rd highest in the division.

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

What does the 4.95 represent, the total number of expected goals from counters for the season, or is it a rating?

Total number of expected goals.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Does it give actual goals from counters as well?

I don't think so, but I'll double check.

No it doesn't list that, sadly.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, The Woolshed said:

(I’m feeling this way myself, 5-7 points from the next 3, which really isn’t that far fetched would change the course of the season. There’s been plenty good in most games this season, we just can’t take chances.

I think going on what has happened so far this season it is very far fetched.  We all want to 'turn the corner' and for the goals to come but there is very little evidence they will magically appear using the present set up. 

Quigley2.thumb.png.39914e41f89c44782aba48e8be9f6cfb.png

Against his division...

QuigleySPL.thumb.png.30b2effcc68caf7061e21099f7c9014a.png

Against top flight Scottish strikers since 15/16...

A goal...

24yo, 6"1, free in the Summer. Playing in Englands 5th tier so surely on less than Melamed, and less of a punt. Its a shit level and his goal rate isn't sustainable, but type of player you'd hope we're looking at. Wins a disgusting amount of headers in the opponents box, and the build up to the goal shown looks familiar.

Whilst it's been nice at times to watch Saints knock the ball around and play good football can we just get back to having 4% possession, throwing bodies at everything and everyone and shitfesting a 1-0 win in the 89th minute leaving 30 pages of seethe by opposition fans on the P&B match day thread?

I miss that.

Edited by Broon_100

1 minute ago, Broon_100 said:

Whilst it's been nice at times to watch Saints knock the ball around and play good football can we just get back to having 4% possession, throwing bodies at everything and everyone and shitfesting a 1-0 win in the 89th minute leaving 30 pages of seethe by opposition fans on the P&B match day thread?

I miss that.

All that boring stuff or being first to a loose ball and stopping the cross coming into the box, if not winning the header to clear it. 

I miss that too 😭

8 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

All that boring stuff or being first to a loose ball and stopping the cross coming into the box, if not winning the header to clear it. 

I miss that too 😭

I'm enjoying imagining Frazer Wright and Steven Anderson as overlapping centre-backs.

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Quigley2.thumb.png.39914e41f89c44782aba48e8be9f6cfb.png

Against his division...

QuigleySPL.thumb.png.30b2effcc68caf7061e21099f7c9014a.png

Against top flight Scottish strikers since 15/16...

A goal...

24yo, 6"1, free in the Summer. Playing in Englands 5th tier so surely on less than Melamed, and less of a punt. Its a shit level and his goal rate isn't sustainable, but type of player you'd hope we're looking at. Wins a disgusting amount of headers in the opponents box, and the build up to the goal shown looks familiar.

Tart up a file and send it to everyone at Mcdiarmid from the chairman down. Keep doing it with players till you get a reply. If we're in this position after the next few games I bet someone looks at them.

31 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Tart up a file and send it to everyone at Mcdiarmid from the chairman down. Keep doing it with players till you get a reply. If we're in this position after the next few games I bet someone looks at them.

He's proper bargain bucket target man though, there's a far better option a division above.

Problem with having zero idea how much money Saints want to spend. Probably an issue Davidson has at the moment too...

Looking around other clubs, guess one positive is that the whole club still seems pretty "together".

Motherwell have had their manager ripping into the squad, and now the caretaker, claiming half the squad "don't care" and there's going to be a massive shake up in this window.

Hefty vibes of Jim McIntyre exploding any chance of Dundee staying up by obliterating team morale.

Yes it made me feel a bit more positive when I read the Motherwell thread!

The chat is that most of the players don't give a f**k and a lot of the support would fire the majority of them into space.  I don't think that could be aimed at Saints players, a fair few are performing below par but the effort is unquestionable.

I know it's not a popular opinion, and the goal was a bit of a howler, though f**k knows why 4 defenders were sitting right on top of him whilst the rest of the box was wide open, but Zander has turned it round a bit in the past couple of games.

Most of us were calling for him to be dropped after the rangers shambles, and it wouldnt have been a surprise if he'd fallen to pieces and been a major liability in the following matches.  But the past two games have seen some massive stops.

That save from Watson's header hasn't received the praise it deserved, it was better than the one they were raving about by McGregor in the OF match for me.  I've been critical of Clark over the years in that I think he often doesn't divert the ball away from goal when he makes a save and the danger is often still there, but the reaction and strength to tip that header away from point blank range were excelllent.

O

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's proper bargain bucket target man though, there's a far better option a division above.

Problem with having zero idea how much money Saints want to spend. Probably an issue Davidson has at the moment too...

It doesn't matter, even if you're sending them in someone will eventually look. 

I don’t think Clark looked too clever at the County goal obviously, but his defence have thrown him under the bus there. He’s put in a scenario of having to prevent his own man putting it last him from three yards away and then his midfield having left a guy standing in yards of space at the edge of the box. Madness.

I think our players have clearly bought into what Davidson is trying to do and they absolutely are putting the effort and commitment in. It’s a rarity that we’re getting pumped by anyone or being bossed for long spells in games. It’s beyond urgent that we turn that into victories though.

6 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I don’t think Clark looked too clever at the County goal obviously, but his defence have thrown him under the bus there. He’s put in a scenario of having to prevent his own man putting it last him from three yards away and then his midfield having left a guy standing in yards of space at the edge of the box. Madness.

I think our players have clearly bought into what Davidson is trying to do and they absolutely are putting the effort and commitment in. It’s a rarity that we’re getting pumped by anyone or being bossed for long spells in games. It’s beyond urgent that we turn that into victories though.

Aye but the goals and performances are a recurring theme, that screams lack of organisation or lack of discipline to me.  There have been performances earlier in the season where it was just individual errors that have been the difference, that happens, lack of marking players and being over run in areas is all on Davidson and he needs to sort this. He also needs to learn a bit of game management and show a bit of balls with his subs. The game is there to be won, go for it and if we go down at least we go down fighting.