Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Surprised there's no comment on the subs today, Kane in particular. I know that he's shown some form of late but the miss was 'classic Kane'. Also seemed that May had been done in for 15 minutes before he made the switch.
I was hoping for Melamed on for Spoony.
Guess that Davidson was thinking that Kane would be the better defensive option.
Anyway, it surprised me.

I would like to have seen Melamed too but given Davidsons comments midweek about his match fitness and playing up Hendry and Kane "knocking on the door" wasn't surprised. Thought, miss aside obviously, Kane did quite well. Doesn't bode well for Hendry than Kane was preferred tbh.

You'd expect and attacking midfielder and/or striker will be top of the wishlist in January.

26 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

I would like to have seen Melamed too but given Davidsons comments midweek about his match fitness and playing up Hendry and Kane "knocking on the door" wasn't surprised. Thought, miss aside obviously, Kane did quite well. Doesn't bode well for Hendry than Kane was preferred tbh.

You'd expect and attacking midfielder and/or striker will be top of the wishlist in January.

Unless players move on I doubt we'll be in the market for anyone in January. Particularly with no fans in sight. 

Craig, Booth and Kane out of contact in Jan so potentially could see some of those move on. Booth moving on though will likely just result in his budget being used to bring in another left back. 

I'd guess all 3 out of contract players will extend until the Summer, but I doubt we'll see another attacking player.

That part of the pitch is surely swallowing a large percentage of our budget as it is.

3 hours ago, perthsaint1977 said:
4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:
Clearly West Ham using the RG Scouting method to find an upgrade for their midfield.

Nah I think his agent is Davie Moyes brother...

Correct  I was talking to them when they were up golfing a few months ago..I mentioned Ali to Davie Moyes and his brother said "I'm his Agent " 

1 hour ago, nelsjfc said:

True, and it was more of a raised eyebrow than falling off the chair surprised, it's clear he likes Kane and he's getting better out of him than TW did in the last couple of seasons. 

The Melamed fitness thing's a bit odd though. He did play for an hour against Peterhead so 20 minutes today shouldn't be a stretch.  He's been in training for about a month now. Think it's just that Kane is generally a fairly safe pair of hands when we don't want to concede. 

Also just remembered that Zander made a cracking save today too, which was good to see, and his kicking is definitely better than it was.

6 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

when we don't want to concede. 

You wonder how much the losses to Hibs/Aberdeen scarred Davidson, and if they have become cornerstones of his early development.

Edited by RandomGuy.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You wonder how much the losses to Hibs/Aberdeen scarred Davidson, and if they have become cornerstones of his early development.

I was worried at the time that he wasn't able to inspire the dressing room. He looked absolutely shellshocked and monotone in is interviews. Still not a great media performer but he's definitely been showing more character of late. 

But yes, he certainly seems to be a cautious manager, probably not helped by us not converting chances so making us hard to beat seems the priority. 

On 21/11/2020 at 22:23, Lang Toon Saintee said:

Correct  I was talking to them when they were up golfing a few months ago..I mentioned Ali to Davie Moyes and his brother said "I'm his Agent " 

Cool

Get him to change which country McCann wants to play for

1 minute ago, ewan14 said:

Cool

Get him to change which country McCann wants to play for

Bit late for that unfortunately.

Won his first couple of caps last week, and is already ranked second only behind George Best in The Northern Ireland Greatest international players of all time List.

IMG_1126.thumb.JPG.3018ee2c60fb56b9e95184b472f203de.JPG

Speaking of which, the Northern Ireland manager is trying to get him a move:

Baraclough believes midfielder McCann is ready for step up after impressive international displays

Northern Ireland manager Ian Baraclough believes new found international ace Ali McCann could be set for a big move away from St Johnstone in January after his recent performances on the international stage.

The 20 year-old impressed on his debut in the heart of midfield against a strong Austrian outfit and then followed that up with a domineering display in the draw with Romania at Windsor Park.

"Ali McCann has done so well in the last two games," enthused Baraclough.

"It wouldn't surprise me if teams are looking at him, and I know St Johnstone will not be thanking me for saying that but he looks so at home at this (international) level."

Northern Ireland legend Gareth McAuley, writing in his Sunday Life Sport column today, concurs, saying: "No disrespect to St Johnstone but, after his two performanc­es for Northern Ireland dur­ing the past week, McCann deserves to be playing for a bigger club with better players and grander ambitions."

ADVERTISING
With Baraclough looking to inject new blood into the Northern Ireland side, Edinburgh-born McCann, who qualifies through his dad, has arrived on the senior international scene just at the right time.

After opting to play for Northern Ireland, he made six appearances for the Under-21s before being drafted in by Baraclough for this autumn’s international games.

“He can go back to his club now and look forward to a strong winter,” says Baraclough.

While Northern Ireland results in 2020, apart from the penalty shoot-out victory over Bosnia, have been disappointing under Baraclough, with five defeats and two draws, McCann is one of three players who have caught the eye and allows the international manager to be optimistic for the future.

Arsenal’s Daniel Ballard, on-loan at League One Blackpool, looks a terrific prospect at centre half, while Aberdeen’s Matty Kennedy showed glimpses of what Northern Ireland have been missing in recent years, a winger determined to take on his man at pace and deliver accurate crosses into the box.

“There’s a lot to be pleased about, a lot to look forward to and there’s a lot more to come from this group of players,” insisted upbeat Baraclough.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

See Sportscene apparently highlighted Brysons stamp, so a ban is likely incoming.

Hopefully he's fined for it.

Isn't the rule if the referee sees incident at the time and makes a decision then case closed? 

He does deserve a ban for it though. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

7 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Isn't the rule if the referee sees incident at the time and makes a decision then case closed? 

He does deserve a ban for it though. 

Who knows, feels like it changes every time.

My ranking system for strikers has Steven MacLean 16/17 being the best striker we've had from 16/17-19/20, for anyone who cares.

Chris Kane has declined every season since 16/17, where he was a slightly above average Premiership striker to now being one of the worst. 

Hendry on course this season to be dead bottom, May on course to better last season, but only just.

Also looked up potential replacements for McCann, and Matt Butcher comes out almost as the top 😭 Ben Close at Portsmouth probably the best option based on paper, unsure how much he'd be earning, but there's about 4/5 younger players out of contract this Summer who fit the rough profile. Would imagine/hope the club have already started looking for his replacement.

28 minutes ago, Widge said:

So there you go RG, your next challenge. Find a young, pacy winger who's got excellent ball carrying stats that has decent ball recovery and tackle stats in the defensive third. 

On 24/10/2020 at 13:16, RandomGuy. said:

An example was just looking for potential Wotherspoon replacements further down the line. This guy, with the assist, popped up as the most similar.

600114888_ezgif.com-gif-maker(3).gif.37372d12d8d060329b3f129ac57796af.gif

Free this Summer from Scunthorpe. Played on both flanks and central, and similar per90 figures for everything except aerial duels, and slightly worse defensively.

Its nothing more than me just fucking about to see what comes out just now, tbh.

From memory this guy was quicker than Wotherspoon/Conway, but MOH fast.

More technical that anything, didn't really beat men 1v1. Can try and find my list again later.

Alex Gillead, 24yo, free in the Summer, at Scunthorpe. Vice captain there aswell by the looks of things.

As I say though, he was more a Wotherspoon replacement.

Edited by RandomGuy.