Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Nearly every cross I've seen us attempt this season has been from roughly in line with the 18 yard line, or deeper

Screenshot_20200821-140344_Chrome.jpg.2da10b865f694e084563f9f6da37c7bf.jpg

Thats where WhoScored reckon our crosses came from last night. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20200821-140344_Chrome.jpg.2da10b865f694e084563f9f6da37c7bf.jpg

Thats where WhoScored reckon our crosses came from last night. 

Heavily focused on the right side. 

I think partly the issue is also seems very laboured getting there. There's no urgency to get wide and the cross in so we're unable to deliver into areas where the defenders are facing their own goal or getting a cross to flash across the front of the goal. We end up getting it wide and rolling it back to the wing back who delivers  Making it easier to defend, even if the delivery is good the defensive unit are in position and it's easy for them to face up and attack the ball to clear it.

I know I'm probably stating the obvious...

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

3 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Rule number one of a gameplan is know what your role is in that gameplan and understand everyone elses role in the formation. If we are playing 3 up front with no attackers in the box when a wing back has the opportunity to cross there are multiple people at fault, from Davidson downwards.

Also if Callum thinks that performance was acceptable,  as he has said in interviews,  the games fucked.

2 hours ago, Bose said:

Are you saying the players couldn’t look around and think there’s a big guy I’m tall I’ll mark him then tell others? Or that they couldn’t work out to get into the box when someone had the ball out wide or think there’s bodies in the box I’ll stay? That because every step hadn’t been planned for them they were fucked?  

My post was a half hearted attempt at a previous post from Random  on the subject of "not knowing the Aberdeen set up to plan for who marks who at set pieces! However like the team last night i made a complete f**k up of it and posted on here and not the forum we were discussing the situation previously!    apologies  

Playing in a back three wouldn't suit him at all. His real strength is going forward and attacking. His defending is really poor. Not surprised it was a bit of a train wreck. 
Bit worrying that his defending was really poor in the Championship. Doesn't matter how good he is going forward, he'll have to be much better defensively than he was against Killie. I realise it's very early days but he doesn't look nearly as good as McCart.

Good managers make poor squads good. Bad managers make excuses.
He's made three signings this Summer, and while having players out is annoying, its going to be an issue for everyone this season.
Zero sympathy for Davidson tbh. The midfield have struggled all season, Callum Hendry doesn't have a single assisted shot on target in the box all season, and we've scored 1 goal in 4 games against 11 men, which owes almost everything to a defensive mistake.
He needs to figure something else out.
All season? It's four games! Yes it's been poor, but give the more than four games ffs.

48 minutes ago, Center half said:

My post was a half hearted attempt at a previous post from Random  on the subject of "not knowing the Aberdeen set up to plan for who marks who at set pieces! However like the team last night i made a complete f**k up of it and posted on here and not the forum we were discussing the situation previously!    apologies  

I wasn’t having a go, sorry.  At times it looked exactly like they were lost because of the things you pointed out.  I was trying to say that the players need to take some responsibility too.  

As others have alluded to I don’t understand why the manager seems obsessed with copying the formation of Millwall, a middling Championship side. If they were the reincarnation of mid nineties Ajax then could see it but that’s hardly the case.

Davidson said he wasn’t going to change too much from TW but if he’s throwing our pragmatic approach out the door and persisting with a formation that clearly doesn’t suit the players we have, then it’s a fundamental shift and one that worries me greatly. Injuries are not helping and we need fresh players in but as ever we are not exactly on the front foot in that regard. We had games like that under TW of course and he’d turn it round countless times. It’s early for CD, need to be fair here but I’ve uneasy feeling about him so far.

17 minutes ago, Costanza said:

As others have alluded to I don’t understand why the manager seems obsessed with copying the formation of Millwall, a middling Championship side. If they were the reincarnation of mid nineties Ajax then could see it but that’s hardly the case.

TBF Millwall finished 8th in the Championship last season, two points off the Play-Offs, and above sides like Derby who were spending multiples of what they were.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 hours ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

From memory I can't remember a single occasion where we tried to play through our central midfielders? 

There were only 5 passes between Craig and McCann last night.

Between 45-75 minutes, we averaged 31% possession. 

15 crosses attempted, 2 successful.

No shots from moves built down the left side.

Average shot distance of 22 yards.

Your two full backs having two of the top three chances in terms of xG (both poor chances at that).

The more you look at it, the worse it gets.

39 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Davidson said he wasn’t going to change too much from TW but if he’s throwing our pragmatic approach out the door and persisting with a formation that clearly doesn’t suit the players we have, then it’s a fundamental shift and one that worries me greatly. Injuries are not helping and we need fresh players in but as ever we are not exactly on the front foot in that regard. We had games like that under TW of course and he’d turn it round countless times. It’s early for CD, need to be fair here but I’ve uneasy feeling about him so far.

I'm trying hard to be balanced because of that uneasy feeling. It certainly looks like a square peg/round hole type of situation. 

I watched the match back in full earlier today because of CD's comments, just to see if I was being unfair. In the last third we were really poor (forcing wide, crossing issues etc well covered above) but watching it back Gollum made some awful refereeing decisions that didn't help and Aberdeen defended well, although we made it easy for them. There was much more effort to move it through the middle in the second half but there wasn't a spark. I think May would have made a difference, as would Muzz charging through the middle. 

For the most part we defended pretty well. Goal was a shocker but other than a free header from a cross that was the only poor defending from us. Our long diagonals were poor though. 

Maybe just it's Friday and there's another game on the horizon but I don't feel quite as raging as I was last night. Was also sober today so maybe that helped. Anyway, agreed, early signs are not great but they are early so maybe just call this one a bad day at the office, let's see what we look like by the end of October. 

Oh - one more thing - Conway looks like he just doesn't care. Early on he looks as poor a signing as McNamara looks good. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There were only 5 passes between Craig and McCann last night.

Between 45-75 minutes, we averaged 31% possession. 

15 crosses attempted, 2 successful.

No shots from moves built down the left side.

Average shot distance of 22 yards.

Your two full backs having two of the top three chances in terms of xG (both poor chances at that).

The more you look at it, the worse it gets.

Pretty damning, but a lot of that doesn't really square with my watching. Why pick the posession stats from one third of the game? During that period it wasn't as if Aberdeen were dominating. 

Our crossing was definitely poor. 

Nothing down the left but it seemed clear we were overloading the right, deliberately, using McNamara. 

As for shots on goal we had a good number blocked that looked goal-bound (as well as some howlers to be fair). 

I'm not for one minute 'happy clapping', we were miserable last night and should have won that comfortably. Let's wait and see. 

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Why pick the posession stats from one third of the game? 

You're asking why I'm highlighting a 30 minute spell were, at home, we averaged 31% possession? A 30 minute spell of not touching the ball that culminated in a goal?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're asking why I'm highlighting a 30 minute spell were, at home, we averaged 31% possession? A 30 minute spell of not touching the ball that culminated in a goal?

I'm just saying that it seems like a stat chosen to paint a picture that makes a very poor performance look catastrophic. Watching the game I did not get the feeling of Aberdeen dominance that stat would imply. We weren't at any point fending of waves of attacks. 

All I was doing was trying to see if there was a balance, based on CD's overly positive post-match (although 4 games in he's not going to criticise players).

Think we need to get the Hibs thread going rather than picking over the bones of last night.

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I'm just saying that it seems like a stat chosen to paint a picture that makes a very poor performance look catastrophic. Watching the game I did not get the feeling of Aberdeen dominance that stat would imply. We weren't at any point fending of waves of attacks. 

All I was doing was trying to see if there was a balance, based on CD's overly positive post-match (although 4 games in he's not going to criticise players).

Think we need to get the Hibs thread going rather than picking over the bones of last night.

TBF we can look at the all figures we want, game probably swung on this moment2020-08-21_19-29-02.thumb.png.f052a2e9e5fde24658a24d5394e24cb7.png...

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF we can look at the all figures we want, game probably swung on this moment2020-08-21_19-29-02.thumb.png.f052a2e9e5fde24658a24d5394e24cb7.png...

Worth noting that was a few minutes after he looked to have a bad knee twist that it didn't look like he'd really recovered from and also just after Hoban (?) launched himself into Hendry's back and flattened him (free kick Aberdeen, naturally). 

Hendry runs into the center-backs leaving Craig completely open about 8 yards out, 9 times out of 10 he's scoring if Hendry passes the ball. 

So don't disagree. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

If he rolls it to the left (MOH?)  with his next touch we almost certainly go a goal up.

That game deserved to finish 0-0. Neither team really looked like scoring at any point, and it’s no surprise the only goal came from a tame shot taking a deflection. We desperately need a) to make sure our system - whatever it is - plays to the strengths of the likes of McCann and Hendry. McCann need to be able to get on to the ball in better positions and drive into space in the box when he isn’t on it. Hendry needs early balls into the box that he can attack. I don’t doubt for a second that getting May and Davidson into our XI just now would make an enormous difference. We also clearly need far better options off the bench. I’m still half way holding out hope that Matt Butcher is a possibility for a return...

3 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Hendry needs early balls into the box that he can attack.

WyScout reckons he didn't get a single aerial ball in the box to attack last night

2020-08-21_19-26-16.jpg.bc1d336eb51fce487f9f93a0f8379a1b.jpg

Thats all his "aerial duels".