Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Can we get a fucking midfielder signed and get the extra man back in the middle of the park. 

I've never watched a team so consistently incapable of crossing past the first man as well. 

No point in getting it wide if that is the standard of your delivery

Yes. We had a major breakthrough after the winter break with a system which was working extremely well. It seems almost disrespectful to forgo that and suddenly introduce (and persevere with) another shape instead. The manager was brought in to continue the good work of his predecessor, not to completely cast it aside and attempt to create a whole new identity with a young squad which had finally seemed to click in the latter stages of the previous season.

9 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Dreadful , got what we deserved. We have no method whatsoever in the final third, it's get it to a wide player standing still in line with the 18 yard line and hit a cross off the first man.

Our new formation might be decent (questionable) for stopping the opposition from playing, but it's even better at stopping us from playing when we're on the ball.

We'd found a formation that really suited this group of players in the second half of last season, yet we are completely ignoring that to persevere with a concept rather than the reality.

I find it hard to have much sympathy for Managers who are too stubborn to react to what's happening in front of their eyes.

I desperately want Davidson to do well, and we're only 4 games into the season, but ffs wakey wakey, we've been so devoid of any decent play or creativity in the final third when it's 11v 11 it's frightening.

Agree 100 % with every word. Infuriating he stood there watching that and never changed things 

Just now, Dick Van Dyke said:

Agree 100 % with every word. Infuriating he stood there watching that and never changed things 

indeed. Problem is - what can he do? We had nothing on the bench at all tonight and the players are in a system they don’t look particularly comfortable in. I don’t think Booth made the bench tonight either? Yet another senior squad member down. 

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

indeed. Problem is - what can he do? We had nothing on the bench at all tonight and the players are in a system they don’t look particularly comfortable in. I don’t think Booth made the bench tonight either? Yet another senior squad member down. 

If we’re going to be making signings is it worth acting now? It’s clear to everyone ( except the manager) that this is awful.

The squad is paper thin which doesn’t help when you’ve 5 players out. As much as tonight was infuriating, I’d rather wait until we get close to full strength before judging the tactics and formation. Hopefully get one of May or Kane back for Sunday, we need it.

It’s all very well and good saying being on another striker up top and dropping a man into the middle. That bench had neither a striker or a central midfielder on it to allow us to do it. If May and Davidson get back and Callum doesn’t try it at least for a bit, then I’ll have issues. Until then we’re stuck with a weak bench and a lack of creatively as we have to play a system that isn’t conducive to creating chances for us.

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

It’s all very well and good saying being on another striker up top and dropping a man into the middle. That bench had neither a striker or a central midfielder on it to allow us to do it. If May and Davidson get back and Callum doesn’t try it at least for a bit, then I’ll have issues. Until then we’re stuck with a weak bench and a lack of creatively as we have to play a system that isn’t conducive to creating chances for us.

Is Robertson not a striker? Why couldn’t we have had played 442 or 5212? Anything would’ve been better than that. Our best performances so far have came when we’ve changed from this system 

We could have started with the same team tonight but with Wotherspoon in centre midfield rather than in a front three, which has never really been his position.

But the general point about lack of bodies that woolshed is making is a fair one.  I still think a system should fit round the strengths of the players at your disposal.  And so far, it hasn't at all.

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I still think a system should fit round the strengths of the players at your disposal.  And so far, it hasn't at all.

This is it, it should, especially on our budget and certainly along with who we are playing against.

Basic fucking football. 

And by the way Millwall play fucking shite football too imo.

Edited by tree house tam

29 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Dreadful , got what we deserved. We have no method whatsoever in the final third, it's get it to a wide player standing still in line with the 18 yard line and hit a cross off the first man.

Our new formation might be decent (questionable) for stopping the opposition from playing, but it's even better at stopping us from playing when we're on the ball.

We'd found a formation that really suited this group of players in the second half of last season, yet we are completely ignoring that to persevere with a concept rather than the reality.

I find it hard to have much sympathy for Managers who are too stubborn to react to what's happening in front of their eyes.

I desperately want Davidson to do well, and we're only 4 games into the season, but ffs wakey wakey, we've been so devoid of any decent play or creativity in the final third when it's 11v 11 it's frightening.

This is exactly what I've been trying to put into words. 

Tommy Wright spent a couple of years building a very effective unit, based on a fairly restricted budget, that could play in a few shapes with considerable motivation and purpose. I've no idea why an incoming manager thinks that 3 up front and 2 in the middle works in any way for the players we have available. Even so, tonight we were by far the best team despite our manager and the poorest Aberdeen think I think I've ever seen. And we walk away with zero points. Anyone got confidence In Davidson's dressing room performance at full time?

Also I don't think that fans have a 'right' to inside information and god knows TW wasn't exactly fulsome with his information but WTF is happening with Stevie May?

35 minutes ago, Kyle said:

indeed. Problem is - what can he do? 

Good managers make poor squads good. Bad managers make excuses.

He's made three signings this Summer, and while having players out is annoying, its going to be an issue for everyone this season.

Zero sympathy for Davidson tbh. The midfield have struggled all season, Callum Hendry doesn't have a single assisted shot on target in the box all season, and we've scored 1 goal in 4 games against 11 men, which owes almost everything to a defensive mistake.

He needs to figure something else out.

Agree about the need for a measured response. There are many factors around the start to this season which should be taken into account.

My main gripe though, is if Tommy saw something that wasn't working he would change it, both during a match, and from match to match.  If Callum sets us up differently on Sunday then I'll think fair enough, he's seen the same as everyone else and realised we need to change something.  I really hope that is the case.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Good managers make poor squads good. Bad managers make excuses.

He's made three signings this Summer, and while having players out is annoying, its going to be an issue for everyone this season.

Zero sympathy for Davidson tbh. The midfield have struggled all season, Callum Hendry doesn't have a single assisted shot on target in the box all season, and we've scored 1 goal in 4 games against 11 men, which owes almost everything to a defensive mistake.

He needs to figure something else out.

I wasn’t meaning generally - he clearly needs to make more of what we have - I meant tonight. He maybe could’ve moved Wotherspoon into midfield but there wasn’t much sitting on the bench behind him. 

2 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Think it’s worth remembering that a lot of saints fans (this forum inclusive) spent a lot of time questioning Tommy Wrights tactical choices. D

Rightly so Ali, he got some things wrong. Everyone does. He got more right though, which no armchair fan would ever have seen because that was his job. Nobody ever doubted his conviction or managerial intelligence (did they?).

What's interesting so far is that despite a 'good' start to the season, in terms of points and results, not one Saints fan I know has been happy with what's been on the pitch. Tonight felt like the pigeons coming home to roost as we all know we've been very unconvincing so far.

That was an Aberdeen there for the taking tonight. It was a really, really poor showing. 

35 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

This is exactly what I've been trying to put into words. 

Tommy Wright spent a couple of years building a very effective unit, based on a fairly restricted budget, that could play in a few shapes with considerable motivation and purpose. I've no idea why an incoming manager thinks that 3 up front and 2 in the middle works in any way for the players we have available. Even so, tonight we were by far the best team despite our manager and the poorest Aberdeen think I think I've ever seen. And we walk away with zero points. Anyone got confidence In Davidson's dressing room performance at full time?

Also I don't think that fans have a 'right' to inside information and god knows TW wasn't exactly fulsome with his information but WTF is happening with Stevie May?

Poorest Aberdeen youve ever seen ... minus 9 players ... plus a few involved who didnt train for 2 weeks and still we beat you and had more shots on target.