Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:
8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
Is this the basis for us signing players now? As it seems like the same reason Conway got a contract.
MacLean is the past, let's leave him there.

Anyway, should have kept my trap shut, too much drama for a Sunday

Please don’t,  some of us appreciate it. Thank you.  Anyway the comedy value of an RG heads gone on a Sunday afternoon, when there is nothing much happening, is priceless. 

4 minutes ago, Bose said:

I have this thing about trusting people no are seeing things on a day to day basis rather what I saw years ago. 

Aye, I'm sure over the course of 3 years a 38yo has suddenly become a top flight striker again.

The message this sends out is a horrible one.

We've gone from an exciting young squad with a fresh new manager, to our only permanent signings being 35 and 38 and a manager who forced players to fit into a formation rather than setting up to make the most of your players. 

The only good thing is we didn't lose yesterday, but to me this has been a worrying weekend.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye, I'm sure over the course of 3 years a 38yo has suddenly become a top flight striker again.

The message this sends out is a horrible one.

We've gone from an exciting young squad with a fresh new manager, to our only permanent signings being 35 and 38 and a manager who forced players to fit into a formation rather than the other way about.

The only good thing is we didn't lose yesterday, but to me this has been a worrying weekend.

Messages like beauty are in the eye of the beholder.  

Are you now unhappy with the Conway signing? When some of us suggested it was contrary to recent signing policy you defended it. 

Edited by Bose

There's yer confirmation that Hugh Arse "ITK" twitter account just reads this site.

His latest exclusive is MacLean registering as a player just a minute ago.

16 minutes ago, Bose said:

Are you now unhappy with the Conway signing? When some of us suggested it was contrary to recent signing policy you defended it. 

Conway looks like he can still contribute, and filled a gap by being able to play on the wing.

MacLean doesn't look like he contribute, and adds to a plethora of strikers, none of whom deserve to not get a chance ahead of him.

I completely understand MacLean is a player is just a placeholder, not to be a starter. I just completely disagree with the image that puts across, to current and potential players, nor the message it sends to fans. You cant sell season tickets based on a "new era", then make one of your first signings a figurehead for the past era despite him clearly being finished.

Edited by RandomGuy.

The image it puts across? Like a cup final scorer and winner, Europa league scorer who has now given his expertise to aid our youngsters(who aren't ready by the way and i include Hendry in that) getting registered as a player in the unlikely case he needs to play because we cant afford other options, because of a shitstorm pandemic. That kind of image?

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

For Aberdeen I'd go

Parish 

Kerr              Gordon           McCart 

Rooney                   Craig                  Tanser 

McCann          Conway 

May              new exciting signing 

Solid enough with enough attacking intent.

I'd like McNamara for Rooney, thought he did enough to stay in the starting 11 based on his second half yesterday and from what I've seen of Rooney he's more in the Tanser mould than Booth. I'd like to see how he gets on against Kennedy. 

Davidson for Craig if he's fit and Spoony for Conway. 

Callum did himself no favours yesterday (looked out of shape to me)  but think he works well with May so I'd go with him again TBH. If not, why not see what chaos Tanto can unleash. 

That's on the basis that the 'new exciting signing' is, in fact, MacLean although the hypothesis is that being deliberate RG-baiting. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The image it puts across? Like a cup final scorer and winner, Europa league scorer who has now given his expertise to aid our youngsters(who aren't ready by the way and i include Hendry in that) getting registered as a player in the unlikely case he needs to play because we cant afford other options, because of a shitstorm pandemic. That kind of image?

We have no back up CBs, no back up CMs, 3 wingers and no striker capable of scoring when played on their own up front.

We're signing a 38yo last seen struggling to contribute in a side relegated last season.

Why am I the only one wo thinks that a terrible look and totally unnecessary signing?

3 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

That's no the basis that the 'new exciting signing' is, in fact, MacLean although I'm working on the basis of that being deliberate RG-baiting. 

I actually had the number of letters to spell macca there but thought it was too obvious, changed it to new exciting signing and hoped that we could've ran a wee bit longer without the majority knowing who it was. You know build up the suspense, knowing the only folk who would like it were HSF and Kyle :lol:

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We have no back up CBs, no back up CMs, 3 wingers and no striker capable of scoring when played on their own up front.

We're signing a 38yo last seen struggling to contribute in a side relegated last season.

Why am I the only one wo thinks that a terrible look and totally unnecessary signing?

Random it's a game of fucking football, get a fucking life. The weather's alright, go walk your dog.

Hardly a proper signing if were already paying him a wage. [emoji23] Good to see RandomGuy has gone into full head spin mode at the smallest thing though.

13 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I actually had the number of letters to spell macca there but thought it was too obvious, changed it to new exciting signing and hoped that we could've ran a wee bit longer without the majority knowing who it was. You know build up the suspense, knowing the only folk who would like it were HSF and Kyle :lol:

I'm fairly ambivalent personally. Take the view that as per discussions about Craig at left wing-back it's a last resort option or even relief for another striker after 75 minutes and we're 3 up. If it's honestly costing us nothing extra fair enough, it's not as if we can fill the bench as it is. I do hope that Brown doesn't think it counts as a proper signing though and use it as a reason not to get someone else in. 

In a starting 11 though? No thanks.

3 minutes ago, Widge said:

Hardly a proper signing 

Tell Broon that.

We've now got Hendry, May, Kane, Olaofe and MacLean as striking options. Davidson won't get to sign another, so thats our lot. 

We're reliant on Hendry keeping up an unsustainable scoring rate, Mays 2 month purple patch becoming the norm and not the previous 3 years of not scoring, Kane, an untested youngster with almost no senior games, and a 38yo playing in the third tier last season.

Add in MOH, Conway and O'Halloran, maybe even Robertson, and thats 8/9 players fighting for 3 positions if hes sticking with the 3 up top, which to me means we won't be signing anyone else in an attacking role.

That worries me. 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tell Broon that.

We've now got Hendry, May, Kane, Olaofe and MacLean as striking options. Davidson won't get to sign another, so thats our lot. 

We're reliant on Hendry keeping up an unsustainable scoring rate, Mays 2 month purple patch becoming the norm and not the previous 3 years of not scoring, Kane, an untested youngster with almost no senior games, and a 38yo playing in the third tier last season.

Add in MOH, Conway and O'Halloran, maybe even Robertson, and thats 8/9 players fighting for 3 positions if hes sticking with the 3 up top, which to me means we won't be signing anyone else in an attacking role.

That worries me. 

This has really got to you if you start counting a player twice.

1 minute ago, Templar Saint said:

This has really got to you if you start counting a player twice.

Last one was meant to be Wotherspoon. 

6 minutes ago, Widge said:

Fucking hell, if you won the lottery you’d still be moaning about the tax you’d have to pay! emoji23.png

Not really.

This season is going to be all about depth. Id rather not waste a space on someone not up to it. If Olaofe turns out to be shite then that'll be two attacking spots wasted on players unable to contribute.