Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

£17.50 PPV for home games. Basically the club seem to have gone for the average cost of a game for a season ticket. Seems a little steep for me.

£20 for Livingston

Just now, nelsjfc said:

International subscribers, yes. I'm assuming not UK subscriptions. Website is doing its usual performance so I've screenshot the relevant section.

https://www.perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk/news/post/saints-tv-pay-per-viewScreenshot_20200727-171838_Chrome.jpg

Cheers. 

I might just get a season ticket this year tbh, save some hassle.

35 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

£17.50 PPV for home games. Basically the club seem to have gone for the average cost of a game for a season ticket. Seems a little steep for me.

Wouldn't be very impressed if it was a tenner and muggings us season ticket holders were paying more. Needs to be some benefit for paying all the money up front. 

But if you look at it on the simple basis of streaming a single game its not cheap. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Wouldn't be very impressed if it was a tenner and muggings us season ticket holders were paying more. Needs to be some benefit for paying all the money up front. 
But if you look at it on the simple basis of streaming a single game its not cheap. 

I guess the only benefit of having a season ticket is the fact that if we eventually do ever get into games you’ve got a guaranteed seat. I think a lot of season ticket holders would probably have bought one anyway just to give the club money and had it set aside every year.

No issues with the prices. Good news that we’ll benefit from cheaper PPV from clubs, but at the same time I feel for those who’ve bought season tickets and are now essentially paying an inflated amount to watch these games live online. Other than Motherwell who’ve probably managed to ensure they sell very few season tickets next season if we go 6/7 months without physical attendance.

I bought a season ticket but I wouldn’t have had too many problems with it being a tenner.  I think it would have made the club more money and let’s be honest it’s the main reason a lot bought season tickets considering there is a chance we may not get in at all. 

I bought a season ticket but I wouldn’t have had too many problems with it being a tenner.  I think it would have made the club more money and let’s be honest it’s the main reason a lot bought season tickets considering there is a chance we may not get in at all. 
Me too. Get why the club has gone for that price bracket though. Bit of a no win situation.

It's expensive certainly, at least relative to other streaming content, but its something and there' the consideration that if you share it with a group of 4 mates its under a fiver each. 

Bear in mind this also opens up the games to fans from further afield, even if this is only available in the UK , thats potential income for the club that they would otherwise totally miss out on.

I'd be more than happy to cherry pick the occasional match but for that price the service and the quality has to be top of the class or its gonna put people off.

Same as Mr Positive, i don't think I'd have been too impressed if it was far cheaper for pay as you go viewers. 

ST holders have already written off the money paid for a few games last season, and forked out a fair bit this season for something which ultimately might be fairly worthless.

I think even casual fans need to be thinking along the lines of trying to support the club financially just now, rather than looking for the cheapest deal they can find themself, e.g. an illegal stream etc.  We could all just pay £12 a month to Saints tv with a vpn and watch all our home matches for nothing extra.  Probably doesn't help the club out very much if we do though.

I wish clubs had tried to do a bit of joined up thinking over this, surely they've had long enough to consider things, and maybe given ST holders access to each others' streams to provide a bit more value, or at least a cheaper rate.  Would have been an even bigger incentive for people to purchase one.

Given a pre covid walk up price of £24 for an adult East stand seat, and potentially £5 for parking, £17.50 to watch on TV in your own home is very reasonable in my opinion. Surprised other clubs are cheaper to be honest. I honestly had ~£20 in my head 

As we hear every time there is season ticket priority give...I don't have one but go every week and pay at the gate, of so that's money saved paying PPV every week 

10 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I wish clubs had tried to do a bit of joined up thinking over this, surely they've had long enough to consider things, and maybe given ST holders access to each others' streams.

If you done this then you'd absolutely murder your income.

Saints at home to Celtic, and youd be expecting Saints to give 50,000 Celtic fans a free stream?

With how its been done there's a genuine chance you could have an "attendance" of over 60k, with all but say 1500 paying £17.50.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Saints at home to Celtic, and youd be expecting Saints to give 50,000 Celtic fans a free stream?

With how its been done there's a genuine chance you could have an "attendance" of over 60k, with all but say 1500 paying £17.50.

I think that's actually where it'd be good to see some joined up thinking from the clubs and a bit of cooperation - they clearly don't need to but if say, Celtic (on the off chance it's not on Sky), can actively push the official Saints channel to view the game then given their reach even if 10% of their fanbase buy a stream then it puts the club in a position where they're not taking as much of a hit.

You'll naturally lose a fair amount to "other" platforms whether it's IPTV or whatever but if you had the 12 clubs media/comms and the SPFL working off the same page it would be interesting to see what sort of numbers you'd see.

Edited by capt_oats

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Will the home games vs the old firm not be on sky anyway? 

1 minute ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Will the home games vs the old firm not be on sky anyway? 

More than likely yes tbf, but if we could get one without then you could make a fortune.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is this really possible though? Won’t it be possible to get a dodgy stream? I’m not savvy enough to know how easy it is to secure these streams but I know I can usually find what I want for nothing. That’s why I was willing to concede to £10.  My thoughts for example was 10@£10 is better than 2@£17.

5 minutes ago, Bose said:

Is this really possible though? Won’t it be possible to get a dodgy stream? I’m not savvy enough to know how easy it is to secure these streams but I know I can usually find what I want for nothing. That’s why I was willing to concede to £10.  My thoughts for example was 10@£10 is better than 2@£17.

I'd imagine a lot of people will use illegal streams.

Last season, season ticket holders didn't get "value for money" as they didnt get a full season worth of games. Many will have refused the refund. This season theyve been asked to pay full price despite not getting to many, if not any, games. You just can't then add to that by making PPV cheaper than what season ticket holders are paying for games.

Its bizarre to see people criticising a club for looking after its most loyal fans (season ticket holders). Id imagine most fans who PATG every week will have zero issue paying £17.50 per game.

Put simply, the club has prioritised season ticket holders. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, that's why I said at least at a cheaper rate but you cut the quote just before that.

FWIW I'm already bookmarking posts on forums and Twitters to gauge something.

Absolute NAP that the same people currently demanding the price is lowered from a "ridiculous £17.50", and proclaiming they'll simply find a free stream, are the exact same people who this time next season will be screaming about the budget being cut.

None as blind.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes, that's why I said at least at a cheaper rate but you cut the quote just before that.

I'd rather not encourage other clubs to get season ticket holders tbh.

Rewarding OF fans for buying season tickets by giving them discounted "entry" to our matches seems a bit disgusting.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd imagine a lot of people will use illegal streams.

Last season, season ticket holders didn't get "value for money" as they didnt get a full season worth of games. Many will have refused the refund. This season theyve been asked to pay full price despite not getting to many, if not any, games. You just can't then add to that by making PPV cheaper than what season ticket holders are paying for games.

Its bizarre to see people criticising a club for looking after its most loyal fans (season ticket holders). Id imagine most fans who PATG every week will have zero issue paying £17.50 per game.

Put simply, the club has prioritised season ticket holders. 

I’m in no way criticising. The club know much better what they are doing than I would.