Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

You don’t think the fact that we signed a fair few first team players on decent contracts then barely used them had an effect on the amount of money available to re-sign players? Anderson, McMillan, Callachan, Swanson. Tony Watt paid a good salary from January / May yet completely out the picture for most of that period as well.  Previously Scougall, and now Vihmann as well.  I don’t know figures, but could we afford to boost Kennedy’s deal sufficiently?

If it’s true we dithered over Matt then yes the club should have been a lot more proactive, but the managers actions maybe means he’s not completely without fault.

I dont want to come across as I'm letting the manager away with things, as hes clearly the driving force behind new signings, but there needs to be some foresight to players who have a sellable value from the club. 

The club done the right thing getting Clark, Kerr and McCann signed up long terms FWIW.

23 minutes ago, Kyle said:

^^ This content is always welcome on our thread. 

For the record, he loves a cup ears celebration too. Went out of his way to do so at Tynecastle last month.

Successfully goaded Dundee and Rangers fans after a goal aswell.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The club done the right thing getting Clark, Kerr and McCann signed up long terms FWIW.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

You don’t think the fact that we signed a fair few first team players on decent contracts then barely used them had an effect on the amount of money available to re-sign players? Anderson, McMillan, Callachan, Swanson. Tony Watt paid a good salary from January / May yet completely out the picture for most of that period as well.  Previously Scougall, and now Vihmann as well. 

I remember Kane too getting a three-year deal, too. He may still be on that.

Undoubtedly budget is a factor and after seven years as manager, Tommy is big enough to decide how he uses it.

But the evidence there – and with the deal handed out to McCann – that the club is proactive in offering contracts ahead of time. I honestly think that the reason we couldn’t sign May, Swanson and now most likely Kennedy is simply because they want to leave their options open. That will often be the case with older players.

Wright confirmed a few things in his Saints tv interview.Not much is said considering it's 6 and a half minutes long but;

- We're playing a bounce game tomorrow (didn't say against who but it can only really be another side on a winter break)

- No injuries - everyone's fit and ready to go.

- Clearly unhappy about Kennedy. We've gone back to Kennedy and his agent with an 'improved' offer but he seems quite resigned to losing him. Hasn't given up hope. Talks with others to take place shortly.

- Nothing on incoming or outgoing transfers at all.

4 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

But the evidence there – and with the deal handed out to McCann – that the club is proactive in offering contracts ahead of time.

Yup, I'm just going by what's being put into the public eye though, which is that Kennedy wasnt offered anything before now, and the manager wanted to extend it last January but the club didnt move on it.

I didnt go to the meet the board thing so dont have Steve Browns version to go off.

Bit sad, but discovered a website with historical stats for players, only in the league though.

For instance, in 13/14 May scored 20 goals from 54 shots on target. A goal every 2.7 shots.

Aberdeen stats dont exist for 18/19 for some reason, but 17/18 he got 5 goals from 15 shots on target for them. A goal every every 3 shots.

Not meaning to say anything about him, I just enjoy these sort of things you didnt expect to see. Like, I didnt expect him to have been quite as close in terms of goals per shots on target for Aberdeen as in his season with us. 

This season he has 2 goals from 8 shots on target. A goal every 4 shots. A clear decline on where hes been but probably too few to judge.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Callum Hendry obliterated everyone when you rank everything by 90 minutes.

Heres the leaders, and 2nd place players, in every category this season 

Shots per 90 - Callum Hendry 2.91 (Wotherspoon/Kennedy 1.85)

Shots on target per 90 - Hendry 1.46 (Wotherspoon 0.92)

Goals per shot - Hendry 0.4 (Wotherspoon/MOH/Kerr) 0.17

Goals per shot on target - Hendry 0.8 (MOH 0.4)

Hendry played too few minutes to fairly judge him though.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Sorry for cluttering the thread. But this window is boring as f**k.

If you compare Saints to the rest of the league...

Matty Kennedy is the only Saints player in the top 40 if you sort it by shots on target (9), May our highest striker at 40 with (8).

Only Kennedy (21st/27) and Davidson?!(32nd/21) appear in the top 40 if you do it total shots.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bit sad, but discovered a website with historical stats for players, only in the league though.

For instance, in 13/14 May scored 20 goals from 54 shots on target. A goal every 2.7 shots.

Aberdeen stats dont exist for 18/19 for some reason, but 17/18 he got 5 goals from 15 shots on target for them. A goal every every 3 shots.

Not meaning to say anything about him, I just enjoy these sort of things you didnt expect to see. Like, I didnt expect him to have been quite as close in terms of goals per shots on target for Aberdeen as in his season with us. 

This season he has 2 goals from 8 shots on target. A goal every 4 shots. A clear decline on where hes been but probably too few to judge.

Link? 🤔

38 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Link? 🤔

https://fbref.com/en/squads/dd289621/St-Johnstone

Don't have anything in depth on the Championship yet, but they're trying to grow it so it might pop up eventually.

Theres a boy in League One out of contract this Summer, who's identical to Kennedy in terms of age and Goals+Assists, called Zain Westbrooke, but hes being linked to clubs like Bristol City already.

Twitter rumours have us down as "one of a number of clubs to have enquired about Berra"

Raith fans on P&B saying Steven Anderson has a season ending injury, which has escalated from a minor injury.

Edited by RandomGuy.

WE'VE BEEN LINKED WITH A PLAYER!

ICT fans aren't exactly glowing with praise about him.

Few highlights...

Spoiler

Goals this season...

D1xpNk.gif

4Q2EmJ.gif

Edited by RandomGuy.

It's the market were in for players. Were unlikely to get guys who are tried and tested at this level. 

Thinking about it though. Most of the guys we've targeted for pre contracts in recent years have been decent whether we've managed to get them to sign or not though is a different story but if we can get him hopefully he's another decent one. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theres a boy in League One out of contract this Summer, who's identical to Kennedy in terms of age and Goals+Assists, called Zain Westbrooke, but hes being linked to clubs like Bristol City already.

Twitter rumours have us down as "one of a number of clubs to have enquired about Berra"

Raith fans on P&B saying Steven Anderson has a season ending injury, which has escalated from a minor injury.

Christ here's hoping his loan doesn't have a break clause. Otherwise we'll be having to dump another player before we can bring anyone in.

6 hours ago, Kyle said:

Christ here's hoping his loan doesn't have a break clause. Otherwise we'll be having to dump another player before we can bring anyone in.

Would it be classless to suggest we now offer him a vastly reduced contract, but with a 12 month extension? 

Get it low enough to be acceptable as 3rd/4th choice and we've cleared up some money for this window, it wont cripple us going into next season, and the player doesnt need to worry about his future in the Summer, as hes got a guaranteed wage for the next 18 months instead of just the next 5 while he tries to regain fitness.

Wage would have to be low enough though, otherwise it would be a Wright/Mackay situation again.

22 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Aye I'm sure Ando would agree to that...

It's a long shot aye, but the alternative is going out of contract in May, while injured, at 34 years old, having just played in the Scottish third tier.

Simply a suggestion to work around what seems to be a struggle to free up wages.