Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

20 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Players claims he wants to stay.

Agent won’t deal with current club until player in his last 6 months.

Agent begins contacting other clubs.

Player agrees larger contract elsewhere.

Anyone else getting a bit fed up of agents?

That's the manager, and player, both come out and said no offer was made to Kennnedy until around now.

The manager explicitly criticising the clubs policy on renewing contracts.

Why are people so determined to let the club off on this and blame agents instead? 

It is of course very disappointing to lose him. But we’ve plenty of attacking players, it’ll maybe act as a kick up the arse to some of the others to push on now and not be so reliant on him. I’m more concerned about Davidson & Hendry re-signing tbh. Would be happy to see Wright given another year although I’m
Still not convinced he’s hit the same heights post injury.

Players claims he wants to stay.

Agent won’t deal with current club until player in his last 6 months.

Agent begins contacting other clubs.

Player agrees larger contract elsewhere.

Anyone else getting a bit fed up of agents?
This is one of the reasons why players have agents - it distances them from the decisions they make and gives fans someone else to blame.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

It's the way football isthese days sadly.  I never felt Matty's comments about wanting to stay last month had any significance.  

Would rather Tommy tried to emphasise the benefits of him staying than the acceptance and wee dig at the club.

Yes he'll make more money, which ultimately is likely to be the deciding factor but If he joins Aberdeen, he'll be an impact sub a lot of the time playing in some awful long ball style.  Might not be great for his international career.

Niall McGinn manages just fine.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

That's the manager, and player, both come out and said no offer was made to Kennnedy until around now.

Why are people so determined to let the club off on this and blame agents instead? 

From the outside looking in and reading some of the comment around the Kennedy situation yesterday I was thinking that 'blame the agent' seems a strange takeaway here.

Pretty much every club is going to get shafted in some form or other by agents (Hiya "Cadds", Hiya pal) but it's hard to think of many top flight clubs who wouldn't be able to sit down and discuss a contract renewal with one of their best players in reasonable time ahead of expiry.

From our POV Burrows was talking at length about agents and contract negotiations on the club podcast that went out the other day  and admits we kind of fucked it with Hastie - simply because we didn't see the form he hit coming - but in Cadden's case we had a deal on the table well in advance.

In terms of positive outcomes we had Donnelly signed up on an extension after he broke back into the NI set-up earlier this season and became a 'sellable asset'. Well done us.

I've seen a comment attributed to TW along the lines of 'agents won't speak to us' - I may be misinterpreting that but surely the question in that scenario is why not? Of course an agent will look for the best value deal for his client but it seems disingenuous to suggest that a player's rep won't at least sit down with his client's club to discuss an improved offer.

Edited by capt_oats

This is a genuine question, how good is Kennedy?

I thought he was decent against us at Mcdiarmid but we were so insipid that day that I'm not sure how much it says. He's not someone I've seen a great deal of.

Feel free to stick in with 'He's good but doesn't suit Mcinnes long ball football' if you wish.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I thought he was decent against us at Mcdiarmid but we were so insipid that day that I'm not sure how much it says. He's not someone I've seen a great deal of.

Much like O'Halloran and Swanson before him, I expect you'll be told he's a terrific talent who can play anywhere across the front has a real eye for goal and a great engine. 

In reality, he will sign for Aberdeen and be back at St Johnstone in the summer of 2021.

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Feel free to stick in with 'He's good but doesn't suit Mcinnes long ball football' if you wish.

Does well with us, scored on the left, right and up front. Hard to say how he'd get on in a team that doesnt put everything through him through as he has spells of trying hard too hard with us and overdoing everything. A danger he'd get frustrated not seeing much of the ball and be "greedy" once he does get it.

Crossing is superb though, perfect for Cosgroves big head.

Edited by RandomGuy.

For me, he doesn’t quite possess the same ‘magic’ as O’Halloran or Swanson in their earlier spells at the club. However, this may be due to the fact that he is probably playing in the worst Saints team since our promotion to the top-tier. He is definitely a stand-out and, although I won’t cry myself to sleep over it, we will definitely miss his quality.

Matty Kennedy is our best player. Not the most technically gifted player at the club but probably the most effective. Decent cross, pace and shot, his decision making can be suspect and he can be greedy but overall he is a very good player for this level.

Ignore Dele, Matty Kennedy could beat Dundee on his own.

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Does well with us, scored on the left, right and up front. Hard to say how he'd get on in a team that doesnt put everything through him through as he has spells of trying hard too hard with us and overdoing everything. A danger he'd get frustrated not seeing much of the ball and be "greedy" once he does get it.

Crossing is superb though, perfect for Cosgroves big head.

Tbf I think Mcinnes would like to go back to the old days of Hayes/Mcginn on the wings providing service to Rooney so if that's his style he might enjoy it, provided he's allowed to do it. I think the long ball shite we've been seeing of late is due to our lack of ability to do that. 

He certainly looked half decent against us.

He's shite. Tell Mcinnes to look elsewhere.

Kennedy is our most dangerous player for me. Probably the one player I'd bank on actually taking a 1 on 1 chance with the goalie and he has a pretty good deliver from either side of the pitch and with either foot. Even when he isn't playing well he's always liable to pop up with a moment of magic to create a chance either for himself or someone else.

In terms of Hayes/McGinn, I think he's more in the McGinn mould. He's probably strongest playing off the left but he's right footed, has quick feet but isn't particularly fast and has gotten better at tracking back the longer he's been with us.

Very good player but we've lost better (May, Swanson and O'Halloran when they left previously) in the past and been fine. 

I doubt we'll be keen to sell up in this window that would really damage our bid to stay up.

34 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Tbf he done exactly that at Dens last season. 

38 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Matty Kennedy is our best player. Not the most technically gifted player at the club but probably the most effective. Decent cross, pace and shot, his decision making can be suspect and he can be greedy but overall he is a very good player for this level.

Sounds like a young McGinn.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You don’t think the fact that we signed a fair few first team players on decent contracts then barely used them had an effect on the amount of money available to re-sign players? Anderson, McMillan, Callachan, Swanson. Tony Watt paid a good salary from January / May yet completely out the picture for most of that period as well.  Previously Scougall, and now Vihmann as well.  I don’t know figures, but could we afford to boost Kennedy’s deal sufficiently?

If it’s true we dithered over Matt then yes the club should have been a lot more proactive, but the managers actions maybe means he’s not completely without fault.

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Could? 

Has!

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

You don’t think the fact that we signed a fair few first team players on decent contracts then barely used them had an effect on the amount of money available to re-sign players? Anderson, McMillan, Callachan, Swanson. Tony Watt paid a good salary from January / May yet completely out the picture for most of that period as well.  Previously Scougall, and now Vihmann as well.  I don’t know figures, but could we afford to boost Kennedy’s deal sufficiently?

If it’s true we dithered over Matt then yes the club should have been a lot more proactive, but the managers actions maybe means he’s not completely without fault.

This is the bigger issue for me too.

Right now you've got Swanson, Callachan and Vihmann who can't get near the squad never mind the team on top of McMillan and Anderson who are out on loan, but we'll undoubtedly be footing the majority of their wages.

Wright himself saying he's running with the 'smallest squad he's ever had' (the squad of 014/15 maybe have something to say about that) so having 5 players who are effectively pariahs isn't particularly helpful and is the fault of the manager more than the board.

Edited by Kyle