Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not when we're actively trying to increase income to prevent it, no.

Ah, the old 'speculate to accumulate'. I've seen that scenario play out a few times. You usually call it financial mismanagement though. 

24 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Remember these two posts anytime you're about to take RG seriously on any subject ever again.

Are you thick? 

The club has over £2m in the bank. 

They reduced the OF allocation and tried to entice home fans to increase in number for 8 years.

They ran at a loss at this time in a gamble, that the aforementioned £2m means we could afford, that the home fans would respond and increase.

The home support dropped.

This is the most obvious way to stop making losses, as all attempts at getting home fans to bridge the gap have failed.

1 minute ago, Dele said:

Ah, the old 'speculate to accumulate'. I've seen that scenario play out a few times. You usually call it financial mismanagement though. 

Well why the f**k do you think we're now doing this? 😂

It's really very simple.

The Saints support had their chance, and the club financially gambled on them. The gamble failed so now we're forced to do this to stop the rot.

2 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Yeah you could well be right. I suppose that's why the club have said it's a trial and not just the norm at this stage.

If the uptake is there from the old firm clubs I reckon this will be the new policy though.

I'm sure someone said that our average attendance only fluctuated around from best to worst by 800 so this last decade, its not like we are loosing thousands! even during the years Rangers were not the league we did not see thousands of a difference ( I don't think anyway).  

May I ask, what has your home average been over the last 10 years say? 

What about the 90s under Sturrock? I remember the cardboard cut outs (what the f**k where they thinking?) - is Perth not just a football town?

I'm not trying to stir, I'm just genuinely interested in why a club that has done so well and has a lot of incentives cant seem to increase their support.

Just now, Silvio said:

May I ask, what has your home average been over the last 10 years say? 

What about the 90s under Sturrock? I remember the cardboard cut outs (what the f**k where they thinking?) - is Perth not just a football town?

I'm not trying to stir, I'm just genuinely interested in why a club that has done so well and has a lot of incentives cant seem to increase their support.

I don't know exact figures but I'd say our home support is down maybe 500 or so since the beginning of the last decade and has dropped dramatically since the late 80s/90s. Obviously lots of factors for why that's the case but Saints are relatively well supported in terms of the catchment area that we have. 

We have a small fan base in terms of our top flight and indeed in respect of many clubs in the championship but the stadium facilities/off field business allows us to compete above what our natural level should perhaps be. 

3 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I don't know exact figures but I'd say our home support is down maybe 500 or so since the beginning of the last decade and has dropped dramatically since the late 80s/90s. Obviously lots of factors for why that's the case but Saints are relatively well supported in terms of the catchment area that we have. 

We have a small fan base in terms of our top flight and indeed in respect of many clubs in the championship but the stadium facilities/off field business allows us to compete above what our natural level should perhaps be. 

Don't you have an income from concerts and conferences?

Edited by FTOF

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Well why the f**k do you think we're now doing this? 😂

It's really very simple. 

You're right, it is very simple. 

Your club was living outwith it's means and the 'fans' failed to stop that happening. Your club have now thrown its fans under the bus and have sold its soul in the hope that fans of the two clubs you usually say are ruining Scottish football, come to the financial rescue of the club. 

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Donn't you have an income from concerts and conferences?

We do - as well as  astro pitches that we rent out, function rooms that are mainly used for funerals as the Perth crematorium is basically next door. Our turnover is generally quite high but maintanence (#infrastructure) has increased as the stadium has gotten older and I think our playing budget right now is about as high as it has ever been too.

Edited by Kyle

6 minutes ago, Dele said:

You're right, it is very simple. 

Your club was living outwith it's means and the 'fans' failed to stop that happening. Your club have now thrown its fans under the bus and have sold its soul in the hope that fans of the two clubs you usually say are ruining Scottish football, come to the financial rescue of the club. 

Trying far too hard.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Perth is a city with under 50,000 people in it, Saints are never going to be a big club.

The thing is with this statement Tam is we are drawing of a larger catchment area than 50,000 (Perthshire is I would guess to double that figure?) Perthshire has in the past supported Saints I would argue the City is where we have never had the full commitment of the people even way back in the 60/70s.   

1 minute ago, Center half said:

The thing is with this statement Tam is we are drawing of a larger catchment area than 50,000 (Perthshire is I would guess to double that figure?) Perthshire has in the past supported Saints I would argue the City is where we have never had the full commitment of the people even way back in the 60/70s.   

Perthshire goes up till Aviemore and Rannoch fucking moor. You're not telling me these c***s want to come to McDiarmid on a saturday/wet Wednesday night.

Interesting to see St Johnstone do this - it's one that the west of scotland diddy teams especially have wrestled with for years, pissing off swathes of their own supporters in the process.

Given our proximity (and the fact that Lanarkshire is teeming with Rangers and Celtic supporters), we've got a long history of this stuff but have been on the opposite journey for years now. We used to basically give Rangers and Celtic as many tickets as they could sell - we went as far as writing  a nausea-inducing letter to OF supporters clubs at one point begging for their attendance and even offered them "debenture" seats in the South Stand.

John Boyle then - in one of the worst PR moves the club has seen - had a ballot of Cooper Stand season ticket holders to ask if they would move out for OF games so that the club could make the type of money that is being mentioned in this thread - and when the vote was for "f**k off", he simply ignored it and did it anyway. 

Under Alan Burrows, we've moved to the situation where we've reduced the OF tickets to the away stand only and we budget to suit that. It's a move that went down very well with the support and so for now, we accept the lower crowds and it seems to be the end of the story. Wonder how long it is before St Johnstone come to the same conclusion....

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Perthshire goes up till Aviemore and Rannoch fucking moor. You're not telling me these c***s want to come to McDiarmid on a saturday/wet Wednesday night.

Was thinking more of the Blair Geds! Pitlochry lovelies, Crieff gents and the Stanley (Bikey) that no longer go Tam,   

We've been there and done that already @Swello. Our home attendances against the Old Firm have gotten progressively worse since reducing their allocation. I think every suggestion or observation made by opposition supporters in this thread has been tried, even reducing prices for 'friends of season ticket holders' to £10. 

Edited by Kyle

It's easy for fans to say ach f**k them give the Old Firm one stand, but the guy responsible for the club's income and player budget weighing up the coinage versus going against the majority of the fans beliefs, it is a toughy.

We are going through the same thing just now. We give the gruesome twosome a stand at either side of the stadium. Most fans I know despise the thought of it, but the same fans that are angry about it and normally the ones moaning about not signing enough players or missing out on a certain player.

At the end of the day the clubs finances and putting a team out that can compete in this division are the 2 most important issues for clubs of our sizes.