Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I think the 'I told you so' pish might be more appropriate when we actually win a competitive match against a team better that the one currently sitting bottom of league 2, tbh. The first 11 looks decent on paper and clearly some encouraging spells but we're second bottom, haven't won a league game (haven't even been in the lead at any point) and have conceded 13 goals in 5 matches.

There's still legitimate concerns to be had about the squad, particularly in defence, and I don't think signing a back up left back will resolve that.

Once we get the Rangers game out of the way, the run of fixtures looks a little bit kinder so we can hopefully put some points on the board and get the confidence back in the side then.

21 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I think the 'I told you so' pish might be more appropriate when we actually win a competitive match against a team better that the one currently sitting bottom of league 2, tbh. The first 11 looks decent on paper and clearly some encouraging spells but we're second bottom, haven't won a league game (haven't even been in the lead at any point) and have conceded 13 goals in 5 matches.

Very true Kyle.  There seems to be a feeling that it's inevitable we get better, and it's just a matter of when it all clicks into place.  There's no guarantees.

I'd like to stress here that I was never part of the knicker wetting squad over the summer  😑, and think we have the makings of a very good side.  But we've done nothing yet.

Whilst folk say our opening fixtures were against most of last season's top six, only Celtic were in similar form to last season. Hibs, killie and Aberdeen were all poor by last year's standards, and were all there for the taking.

I'm optimistic about the squad we have, and am confident we can start to get the results, but I still have that wee nagging doubt that we might spend some time trying to establish our strongest starting eleven and formation.  With the pish international breaks we have to suffer these days, the first few months of the season can feel disjointed and hard to get any momentum going.  I mentioned a few posts earlier that I don't think 3 centre midfielders with May alone up front is going to get much out of him, as opposed to more of a number 10 type midfielder (Kennedy or Swanson) in support. Time will tell.

I think we should be looking to take something off Rangers next week, as big an ask as that is. We drew through there last season and should have taken at least a point in the home match around Christmas time.  Holt is a big loss though, as he already looks like he'll be a massively important player for us.

8 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Be as well supporting one of the bigot brothers, rather than one of the kiddie on ones.

Yeh I'd probably go full glory hunter as well. None of your pishy bigot glory hunter or anything, but a team who can win the lot. There's no need to limit yourself to watching that dross get horsed out of Europe every season these days.  I'd maybe go Barcelona or Real Madrid or something.

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yeh I'd probably go full glory hunter as well. None of your pishy bigot glory hunter or anything, but a team who can win the lot. There's no need to limit yourself to watching that dross get horsed out of Europe every season these days.  I'd maybe go Barcelona or Real Madrid or something.

Kinnoull for me, just need them to ditch the red.

Goalkeepers

1. Zander Clark (27) -2022

12. Elliot Parish (29) – 2021

48. Max Johnstone (20) -2020

45. Ross Sinclair (18) – 2021 ­­– on loan at Brechin

Defenders

2. Wallace Duffy (20) -2021

21. Anthony Ralston (20) – 2020 – on loan from Celtic

6. Steven Anderson (33) - 2020 - on loan at Raith Rovers  

23. Liam Gordon (23) - 2021

15. Jason Kerr (22) – 2022

5. Madis Vihmann (23) – 2020 – on loan from Flora 

3. Scott Tanser (24) - 2021

??. Callum Booth (28) - Jan 2020

Midfielders

7. Drey Wright (24) - 2020

10. David Wotherspoon (29) - 2021

8. Murray Davidson (31) - 2020 + 1

4. Ross Callachan (25) - 2020

26. Liam Craig (32) - 2020

19. Jason Holt (26) - 2020 -on loan from Rangers

18. Ali McCann (19) - 2020  

33. Matty Kennedy (24) - 2020

11. Danny Swanson (32) - 2020

Forwards

16. David McMillan (30) - 2020 - on loan at Falkirk 

9. Chris Kane (24) - 2020

17. Michael O'Halloran (28) – 2021

14. Stevie May (26) – 2021 + 1

22. Callum Hendry (21) - 2020 

I guess signing up Zander and JK on longer deals can be added to the plus side, along with the emergence of Ali McCann.

Holt the best piece of business we've done, as it's a role we've needed to fill for 18 months. Hopefully we get the opportunity to make it permanent.  

Would say we're better in midfield than this time last year, weaker in defence, though hopefully that changes as the back 4 get game time and gel, and weaker in attack as Watt was excellent in the first few months of last season.

In terms of the team we used post-split last season to now, we're better off now as none of those released were much involved.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Was Callum Booth not struggling to get in the United side ahead of Jamie Robson?

Probably, and he'll likely struggle to get into our side ahead of Tanser.

It's the first team we've actually had left back cover for about 18 months I think, so it's fine.