Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Ballantyne not getting  any game time until last weekend is utterly baffling when you see him playing, he’s a perfectly passable top flight player and something different to what we already have. Think he’ll only get better with minutes too. 

Thought he did very well, as did Sinclair. These guys benefitting from a more open manager and the safety from relegation. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kane made the best case to get a new deal from anyone today.

Being harsh if Wotherspoon/Brown wouldn't accept squad roles with wages to match then you move on though. Wotherspoon deserves the chance to get fit and show more though, but i dont know if he accepts a 1yr deal?

I thought Kane looked right up for it and made more of an impact that the other 2 striking options would have managed.

I'd be inclined to give Kane and Brown a years deal each. Spoony is a conundrum. Every bit of me says to give him.a new deal as he more than deserves it for what he has given the club and he still has plenty to offer. But also, you can see he is a yard off the pace. If (and I think it 80% is) is due to being out for so long and the physical and mental effort it took ro get back and to the world cup, then a good rest and pre season he will be all good. But the 20% that will be due to age, will be a concern as only going to get worse. On balance, I'd be giving him a years contract and ideally combine it with a bit of coaching.

All other out of contract players, let them go, along with Crawford and Bair (who I'm 99.9% sure has already been told) released.

If by any chance we can get Montgomery back, I'd be happy with that.

10 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Two games in a row now Martindale has been snaking about Kane. Fear he might be off there. Made instant difference when he came on today.

Martindale genuinely speaks to loads of opposition players, as any good manager should. Scottish  football is a small world and players/managers talk all the time, taking an interest in a player who's been out for 18 months and one who even had doubts about playing again is the decent thing to do. Obviously it will certainly help Davie sign players and that's his job, it's the sign of a good manager and someone who actually cares about the game. He was full of praise for Muzz as well.

If Kane does leave it will be more down to St Johnstone than any other club tapping him up imo.

5 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

was told today that Bair has left. mutual termination. surely kane wont be going to play on plastic after being out so long.

So, that leaves Gallacher from the Grieve intake? 

It crossed my mind when Bair wasn't even there after the match that he might have returned to North America to get himself a new club.

Could easy see us just waiving any fee if he just walks from his contract, and honestly think thats best for both parties.

Kane spoke just weeks about how much he loves the club and how he wants to stay. Could be just paper talk to get a better deal but I dunno, he doesn't seem the type. I think he'll stay.

12 minutes ago, mizfit said:

So, that leaves Gallacher from the Grieve intake? 

with Gallacher getting zero minutes in the last two dead rubbers you'd think he must be away too. wonder what the chances of Montgomery coming back are? 

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Spoony is a conundrum. Every bit of me says to give him.a new deal as he more than deserves it for what he has given the club and he still has plenty to offer. But also, you can see he is a yard off the pace. If (and I think it 80% is) is due to being out for so long and the physical and mental effort it took ro get back and to the world cup, then a good rest and pre season he will be all good. But the 20% that will be due to age, will be a concern as only going to get worse. On balance, I'd be giving him a years contract and ideally combine it with a bit of coaching.

If he wasnt David Wotherspoon you'd say punt him, IMO, as harsh at that is. Too many ageing players and he'll likely want a 2yr deal.

But he is, so I think you give him the chance to prove himself with a pre-season, plus you know everything he can bring off the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If he wasnt David Wotherspoon you'd say punt him, IMO, as harsh at that is. Too many ageing players and he'll likely want a 2yr deal.

But he is, so I think you give him the chance to prove himself with a pre-season, plus you know everything he can bring off the pitch. 

You saw it today. Within 5/10 mins he was involved in 2/3 chances. 

He's never had pace so do not get the earlier shout from someone about that. 

No brainer keeping him around, versatile and great person around the dressing room. 

4 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

No brainer keeping him around, versatile and great person around the dressing room. 

And you'll get less insider knowledge without him there....

Was told earlier in week we wouldn't see Bair again after seeing him training on his own on Tuesday whilst rest of squad were on main pitch.

Wish him no ill but glad all parties have stopped wasting their time. Make mistakes in recruitment and you have to pay the price, literally. Others should be shown the door as well so we don't go into a new season with unwanted players hanging around the place.

17 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Aye Kane/Wotherspoon coming on stopped the game sort of just coasting out a bit.

A shame we didn't see more of Wotherspoon in front of Montgomery this season, think that could've been a great partnership on the wing.

Genuinely didnt see any of the loaned out players there (which is a shame on O'Hallorans part, he deserved a farewell for what hes done as I doubt he'll ever be back at the club in any capacity now), but I didn't really pay much attention tbh.